Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've just started my dog on a prey model raw diet about two weeks ago and want to start feeding meat on the bone! She's mainly just been eating ground up meats with ground bone.

When it comes to edible bones, I'm mainly going to feed chicken wings and chicken necks. If you have any other suggestions for edible bones go right on ahead and list them! She is about 9 pounds but should be 7 pounds. I was wondering would she eat a whole wing or a whole neck at once or should I cut them into pieces? Also, what parts of the animal do you get for non edible bones, just the ones that they work the meat off of but not actually eat the bone. I have main access to pork, lamb, and sometimes venison. So just wondering what parts of these animals would be best to ask for at the butchers. Can't do beef because she's allergic. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
801 Posts
She's allergic to beef ? Is that common ? I've never heard of that before.

I'm still fairly new at feeding raw, but for bones I started off using
chicken necks cut into smaller sizes to prevent choking, but now
I use mostly cornish hens. Mimi weighs 4.9 pounds so with one
cornish hen I usually get about 6 servings after chopping it up.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
For edible bone I use lamb breast (trim the fat), rabbit, cornish hens, chicken wing segments, and pork riblets (Farmland sells them unenhanced).

For more chewing/gnawing - I use beef and/or pork ribs, bison ribs, or venison ribs. This is a case of knowing your dog. Some of these bones CAN break teeth if your dog is larger and a very vigorous chewer. Brody will eat all the meat off and then work on the ends of the bones for hours and barely make a dent. I throw them out once they are dry, usually within 24 hours.

Personally I don't do any turkey bones as they seem too hard and splintery. Other dogs do fine with them.

Your dog, at 9 pounds, should be fine with all cornish hen bones, rabbit if you can get it, and I'd do a whole chicken wing or neck. If she doesn't finish it all, just throw it away.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's allergic to beef ? Is that common ? I've never heard of that before.

I'm still fairly new at feeding raw, but for bones I started off using
chicken necks cut into smaller sizes to prevent choking, but now
I use mostly cornish hens. Mimi weighs 4.9 pounds so with one
cornish hen I usually get about 6 servings after chopping it up.
Yep, unfortunately she's allergic to the most common and most cheap meat at the grocery store lol, it sucks. Her vet says it's not very common for dogs to be allergic to meat proteins but that beef is one of the most common meats that dogs are allergic too. My dog can't eat any food with beef, weather it be kibble, canned, or raw. She gets incredibly itchy and NASTY runny poops :pukeright:

For edible bone I use lamb breast (trim the fat), rabbit, cornish hens, chicken wing segments, and pork riblets (Farmland sells them unenhanced).

For more chewing/gnawing - I use beef and/or pork ribs, bison ribs, or venison ribs. This is a case of knowing your dog. Some of these bones CAN break teeth if your dog is larger and a very vigorous chewer. Brody will eat all the meat off and then work on the ends of the bones for hours and barely make a dent. I throw them out once they are dry, usually within 24 hours.

Personally I don't do any turkey bones as they seem too hard and splintery. Other dogs do fine with them.

Your dog, at 9 pounds, should be fine with all cornish hen bones, rabbit if you can get it, and I'd do a whole chicken wing or neck. If she doesn't finish it all, just throw it away.
Thank you for all of the info! Will lamb ribs also be fine along with pork ribs for gnawing? Also, about how many inches long should the bones be to be safe and not a choking hazard? I don't think she would attempt to swallow a rib bone but would rather be safe than sorry. Maybe 3-4 inches long would be okay? Blah I don't know :tard:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts