Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. from California... I am new on here...
I have a question ...
I am going to be adopting a Chihuahua on about 2 months and I am trying to educate myself as much as possible.
I am wondering what you all think is the best food to feed my soon to be?
I have a mini American Eskimo puppy and he is a finiky eater we bought him the best of the best foods and he is still so picky.. he is now on canned Eukanuba growth forumula..
I want to avoid getting another finiky eater... I think my eskie being so finiky has to do with me giving in to him... ugh.. Help??

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
The best thing you can feed a new puppy is whatever the breeder has been feeding it, obviously in some cases this is not advisable as with me when i first had ozzy the people i had him poff were feeding him boiled chicken this is not sufficent for a puppy and can cause weak bones etc as they are getting nothing but protein , you are best to feed a good brand of wet puppy food and slowy introduce some dry as this is good for their teeth etc, they should be fed 4 times a day until 12 weeks and then 3 times a day until 6 months an then you can drop to twice a day if you prefer but Ozzy is now 8 months and he is still having 3 meals.............. :lol:

anyway good luck and we want to see lots of pics :wave:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh most def. I have a digital camera finally so I will be sending tons of pictures i have some of my eskie and my kittie playing.. as soon as i figure out how to get the pictures of my cam i will put them on here for you all.. I am so anxious to get my chi!! :)

i want to feed my pups homemade food.. but i like never cook.. lol. so i know that its not realisic.. Innova is really good but its really big...

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Yes feed what the breeder was but that does not mean you have to be stuck w/that type of food. You can switch over gradually. I endorse the top quality food as that makes for a happier/healthier dog. I have read alot on this and put my dog on Natural Balance (but Eukanuba dry, Natural is too hard for him) but there are several brands like that. Of course if he does end up picky then you may have to alter that. Alot of companies abuse animals too and i try not to buy their products. Just my thoughts here.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i agree. I am all for the all natural foods and stuff... he was on innova which was really really good for him... but after he tried my kittys food.. he refuses to eat anything other then canned.
i am no longer going to be buying eukanuba though.. after i read www.iamscruelty.com eukanuba is owned by iams too.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
PrattFamily said:
i am no longer going to be buying eukanuba though.. after i read www.iamscruelty.com eukanuba is owned by iams too.
Can you tell me what other brands I can try that are top quality that you feel good about. I know about Eukanuba but kemo has trouble chewing up other brands (too hard) and the pieces are too big.....I am about to give up dry altogether. I waste alot, he wont eat it everyday only some, he's weird. THANKS

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've contacted Nutro, since they aren't on the list. I use Nutro and Puck loves it. I just read that sites and threw away the Iams treats I'd bought. That disgusts me and makes me want to cry. Not only is it sick, but how hypocritical.

Kemo's Mom, you could visit the dog food sites that PETA has listed there as not testing on animals. One might appeal. If Nutro doesn't give me a satisfactory answer, that is what I am going to do.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i know that Innova is really good you can try adding water or broth to is and then it will get moist and softer to eat.... or Wellness is softer and shaped more like kibble. If you go to www.naturapet.com they will tell you where a store is that sells a certain product and they will let you compare what is in the foods. :) Hope that helps....

everyone please visit www.iamscruelty.com
they give you a list of products that do not to labratory nutrional tests like as well. :) <3 thanks <3

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
absolethe said:
I've contacted Nutro, since they aren't on the list. I use Nutro and Puck loves it. I just read that sites and threw away the Iams treats I'd bought. That disgusts me and makes me want to cry. Not only is it sick, but how hypocritical.

Kemo's Mom, you could visit the dog food sites that PETA has listed there as not testing on animals. One might appeal. If Nutro doesn't give me a satisfactory answer, that is what I am going to do.
I know I am with them , I just signed up for some magazine and gave a donation, it's just that it gets pretty expensive to buy a product and find out he wont eat it. Considering I buy the higher priced ones to boot. That is why I was wondering who has smaller bits and the product isn't so hard. Is the Nutro hard to chew and is it smaller? Kemo is on adult version now though. Puck might be on puppy right??

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
PrattFamily said:
Well i know that Innova is really good you can try adding water or broth to is and then it will get moist and softer to eat.... or Wellness is softer and shaped more like kibble. If you go to www.naturapet.com they will tell you where a store is that sells a certain product and they will let you compare what is in the foods. :) Hope that helps....

everyone please visit www.iamscruelty.com
they give you a list of products that do not to labratory nutrional tests like as well. :) <3 thanks <3
I will check that out THANKS, I dont want to support them either.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Puck is indeed still on puppy. Nutro is a brand Petsmart carries. It's supposedly a very high-quailty, no meal, standardized content kind of dog food, but it isn't very expensive.

The puppy food has a little hole in the center and is fairly small, so Puck can chew it just fine. I know they have adult dog food for small dogs, but since we haven't switched to it yet, I'm not sure if it's designed similarly.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Sandy gets Nutro Natural Choice Ultra for puppies.
The Natural Choice kind is new I think, I have only seen it around here for a few months.
I started giving the canned to my Rottie before he passed because he wasn't eating very well. Before that I fed him and my other 2 (1 passed last summer, 1 passed the summer before) Nutro also. I think it is very good dog food.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Glad someone else likes it. Puck seems to love it, and most of the promises made to me about it have come through.

A demonstrator literally followed me around Petsmart showing me all the Nutro products and talked me into switching to it.

She said
a) guaranteed to improve skin and coat (and people always comment now what a nice, shiny coat Puck has)
b) he will poo less, since he will be getting less useless waste in his food (since it's high-quality ingredients)
c) it will be easy for him to chew

She probably said some other stuff too, but I don't remember all of it. But Puck gets their lamb & rice puppy food, their lamb & rice sticks, and their "training bits"--and loves it all...

...So I sincerely hope that they respond to my e-mail.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lamb is hard on the stomach... just to let you know...
does it have a balance in it??

like proteins and vegtables??

what are the top three ingredients the first three listed in the ingredients????
are their any by-products?? If and corn, or other ceral is on the the first one its bad...

:) lol. I have been doing my homework ;) haha

·
Registered
297 Posts
Most of us try to do our homework. There are no animal by-products in Nutro. That's one of its selling points. I've actually heard that lamb is gentler. *shrug* I've heard of dogs who would get upset stomachs if they ate anything else--but that could simply be finickiness, rather than any indication of lamb being a good thing.
NATURAL CHOICE® PUPPY
For Dogs Up to 1 Year of Age

Benefits of Natural Choice Puppy:

Balanced nutrient levels for growing puppies
All natural fortified with vitamins and minerals
Develops strong bones and teeth
Guaranteed to improve skin and coat
Antioxidant protection for a healthy immune system
A true lamb meal & rice formula

Natural Choice Puppy isn't like the typical dog food. It's special. It combines naturally great taste with the highest nutritional benefits. That's because Natural Choice Puppy is scientifically formulated using 70 years of Nutro experience combined with research from veterinarians and nutritionists. And it's manufactured with state-of-the-art technology using only the finest ingredients for premium nutrition and superior performance.

Lamb Is The Only Meat Protein
High quality lamb protein for muscle development and body maintenance. Fewer ingredients mean less opportunity for digestive upset.

Wheat Free
Rice, a high quality carbohydrate that's so good for your puppy's stamina and energy, is the only cereal grain.

Balanced Nutrient Levels
Just the right amount of protein, fat and carbohydrates to keep pace with your puppy's high energy level.

Develops Strong Bones & Teeth
Natural Choice Puppy has a special blend of vitamins and minerals for puppies and pregnant or lactating mothers.

Great Taste
An exclusive blend of sunflower oil and poultry fat provides taste your puppy just can't resist.

Healthy Skin & Shiny Coat
With up to 44% more linoleic acid, combined with other key vitamins and mineral, we guarantee your dog will have healthy skin and a shiny coat.

Healthy Immune System
Natural Choice Puppy contains everything your puppy needs to stay healthy and happy. It is 100% complete nutrition so there's no need to add supplements.

All Natural
All natural and fortified with vitamins and minerals, Natural Choice Puppy contains no chicken by-products, which can be harder for your puppy to digest.

Feeding Guidelines
The following feeding levels are for puppies with moderate activity levels. These should be adjusted as needed to maintain optimum weight. Keep fresh drinking water available at all times. See your veterinarian regularly. Serve dry or lightly moistened.

Puppies: Feed the suggested amount in three meals per day until six months of age, then twice daily until twelve months.

Pregnant Bitches: During pregnancy, offer 50% more than the amount shown for dogs 29-52 weeks of age.

Lactating Bitches: Offer two to three times the amount shown for dogs 29-52 weeks of age.

Puppy Age in Weeks - Amount to Feed Per Day in Cups*

337kcals/per cup. Use a standard 8 oz. measuring cup.
Nutritional Adequacy Statement
Animal feeding tests using *AAFCO procedures substantiate that Natural Choice Puppy provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.
*Association of American Feed Control Officials.

Ingredients
Lamb Meal, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Rice Gluten, Ground Rice, Dried Beet Pulp, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Dried Kelp (source of Iodine), Dried Egg Product, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Biotin, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Garlic Flavor, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid.

Nutro supports the safe, ethical and humane treatment of all animals, including those used by our suppliers who provide our ingredients.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (minimum) 26.00%
Crude Fat (minimum) 12.00%
Crude Fiber (maximum) 5.00%
Moisture (maximum) 10.00%
Linoleic Acid (minimum) 3.50%
Calcium (minimum) 1.40%
Phosphorus (minimum) 1.00%
Vitamin E (minimum) 160 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid (minimum)* 35 mg/kg
Taurine (minimum)* 0.065%

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is what i found out from www.naturapet.com about Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Lamb Meal & Rice Formula ..... Please read...

Lamb Meal:
Lamb meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from lamb tissues, exclusive of any added blood, hair, hoof, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

Lamb meal is simply lamb meat with the moisture removed, making it suitable for use in dry food. Before you buy a product containing lamb meal, ask the manufacturer about the origin of the lamb meal they use. Natura uses only high quality lamb meat from New Zealand, not the lamb by-products found in some other pet foods.

Rice Flour:
Rice flour consists principally of the soft, finely ground and bolted meal obtained from milling rice (containing essentially the starch and gluten of the endosperm) together with fine particles of rice bran and the offal from the 'tail of the mill.'

Whenever flour is part of an ingredient's name, the grain has been processed and some (or all) of the nutritional value has been lost. Frequently these flour ingredients are simply the leftover dust from processing human food ingredients.

Natura avoids all processed grains, relying instead on only whole grains for complete carbohydrate nutrition

Rice Bran:
Rice bran is the pericarp or bran layer and germ of the rice.

Rice bran is a grain fraction, an inexpensive source of fiber that is considered a filler ingredient. Natura does not use fractionated rice ingredients or rice byproducts. Instead, we use whole rice, with all of its nutrition intact.

Rice Gluten Meal:
Rice gluten meal is the dried residue from rice after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of rice starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm.

The availability of nutrients in carbohydrate ingredients is dependent upon the digestibility of the grain. Rice gluten meal has an above average amino acid profile and has a substantially higher biological value than either corn gluten or wheat gluten. Rice gluten is an excellent option for any pet allergic to wheat or corn. It is ideal for use in cat foods not only for its hypo-allergenic qualities, but for its low ash content.

Ground White Rice:
Ground rice is the de-hulled rice kernel, ground or chopped, with the bran removed -- known as white rice.

Rice is a high quality source of carbohydrates. Found in several Natura products, rice is the most digestible grain for pet foods and is relatively hypo-allergenic.

Some manufacturers use rice fractions, such as rice polishings, rice bran, or brewers rice, which have been leeched of much of their nutritional value. Brown rice comes from the same plant as white rice, but has the bran intact.

Dried Beet Pulp:
Dried beet pulp is the dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned, freed from crowns, leaves, and sand, and extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar.

Dried beet pulp is added to some pet foods to act as a fibrous stool hardener. The fiber in Natura's products is derived from our all-natural ingredients. We have found that the sugar added from the beet is an unnecessary ingredient.

SunFlower Oil:
Sunflower oil is obtained by extracting oil from sunflower seeds.

Sunflower oil has a high concentration of linoleic acid (73%), which is important for good skin and coat health. Natura uses sunflower oil that has been cold-pressed and protected from exposure to heat and light. This very high quality, very palatable fat is used in California Natural and Innova formulations.

Poultry Fat:
Poultry fat is obtained from the tissues of poultry in the commercial process of rendering or extracting.

Poultry fat is a byproduct of meat processing. The origin of the contributing animals is never known; the source can be any fowl (turkey, chicken, geese, buzzard, etc.) and the resulting oil is very low in linoleic acid -- an essential fatty acid that is important for skin and coat health. Natura uses high quality chicken fat which has the highest levels of linoleic acid.

Natural Flavors:
Natural flavors are minimally processed flavor ingredients that do not contain synthetic or artificial components.

Natura uses only quality chicken broth as a natural flavoring ingredient, and a proprietary blend of herbs and spices is used as a natural flavor in our HealthWise products.

Dried Kelp:
Kelp is dried seaweed of the families Laminariacae and Fucaeae.

Kelp is a general term used to describe large brown seaweeds. Seaweeds have been used throughout the world for centuries as a rich source of natural organic minerals and vitamins like iodine, potassium and calcium. The thyroid gland depends upon minerals, especially iodine, to function properly and to secrete adequate amounts of thyroxin and trilodothyronine. These hormones influence metabolic rate and body temperature. Kelp is not only rich in iodine, but is also an additional natural source of beta-carotene, B vitamins and vitamin C. This beneficial supplement helps to improve the utilization of all ingredients in HealthWise, thereby improving the overall health and performance of your dog

Dried Egg Product:
Egg product is product obtained from egg graders, egg breakers, and/or hatchery operations that is dehydrated, handled as liquid, or frozen.

Egg product consists of the unused leftovers from eggs for human production. It can include undeveloped eggs, shells, and other tissues unfit for human consumption. Natura uses only human grade whole eggs.

Next i will post the basic foods not the discriptions of innova and wellness....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Innova Puppy

Ingredient Name

1. Turkey

2. Chicken

3. Chicken Meal

4. Ground Barley

5. Ground Brown Rice

6. Cottage Cheese

7. Tomatoes

8. Hemp Oil

9. Chicken Fat

10. Flaxseed

11. Potatoes

12. Herring

13. Apples

14. Carrots

15. Alfalfa Sprouts

16. Egg

17. Garlic

20. Vitamins/Minerals

i dunno what happened but its missing 18 and 19......

Wellness Super5Mix Puppy

Ingredient Name

1. Chicken

2. Salmon Meal

3. Menhaden Fish Meal

4. Oatmeal/Rolled Oats

5. Barley Flour

6. Ground Brown Rice

7. Canola Oil

8. Tomatoes

9. Flaxseed

10. Peas

11. Carrots

12. Sweet Potatoes

13. Bananas

14. Apples

15. Pears

16. Garlic

I also wanted to add that their products are USDA approved and Human Grade.
The welleness is softer and more rounded
the innova is triangle and has a hole in the middle.

My puppy is a very finiky eater... i switched his foods several times because he refused to eat them after eating my kittys food... but he is now back on innova dry puppy food for treats... and i am going to be buying the canned innova for him to eat regularly. :) For some reason my puppy didn't like the wellness... ? But alot of people told me that their pups loved it. . . . Innova is the second best food other then "human food" from what i have read.

Flint River I thought was good.. but if you vist the site i put on the last post they will show you what is in that too if you compare it....
Also if you want to find a store near you they have a "store locator" on the site. :) I hope this info does some good. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
List of stores that carry Innova or Wellness products in GA:

Store Name: Phone: Location:
Earth Fare (706) 227-1717 1689 Lumpkin
Athens, GA 30606

The Pet Store-Athens GA (706) 546-9906 3190 Atlanta Highway
Athens, GA 30606

Animal Land (404) 815-1505 HOME DELIVERY
Atlanta, GA 30324

Barking Hound Village (404) 897-3422 1918 Cheshire Bridge Rd
Atlanta, GA 30324

Canine Showcase (404) 875-0611 1544 Piedmont Ave NE, Ans...
Atlanta, GA 30324

Dog Days (404) 266-8668 3225 Cains Hill Place
Atlanta, GA 30305

Highland Pet Supply (404) 892-5900 1186 N. Highland Ave
Atlanta, GA 30306

Park Pet Supply (404) 588-0140 491 Flat Shoals Ave
Atlanta, GA 30316

Pet Agree at Vinings (770) 436-0503 2997 Cumberland Blvd #210
Atlanta, GA 30339

Pet Gallery (404) 351-7490 857 Collier Road NWHowell...
Atlanta, GA 30318

Pet Set (404) 633-8755 2480 Briarcliff Rd
Atlanta, GA 30329

West Family Chiropractic (404) 255-6027 6100 Lake Forrest Dr., NW
Atlanta, GA 30328

Herbal Remedies (706) 854-9977 3328 Washington Rd, Suite...
Augusta, GA 30907

Hickory Flat Animal Hospital (770) 345-2816 2939 E. Cherokee Drive
Canton, GA 30115

Pet World of Canton (770) 345-5354 1449 Riverstone Pkwy. #1...
Canton, GA 30114

Gentle Paws (770) 214-0994 330 Bankhead Hwy.
Carrollton, GA 30117

Baths and Bones (770) 205-1158 1735 Buford Hwy 320
Cumming, GA 30041

Pet Place (770) 781-5414 3671 Hutchinson
Cumming, GA 30040

The Fur Side (404) 687-0660 308 W Ponce de Leon Ave
Decatur, GA 30030

Fluffy Friends (770) 920-0061 9459 Suite E, Highway 5
Douglasville, GA 30135

Better Way Natural Foods (770) 497-9648 2300 Pleasant Hill Road#1...
Duluth, GA 30096

Discount Herbs & Vitamins (770) 623-1850 3940 Peach Tree Industria...
Duluth, GA 30096

McCoy's Health Center (800) 248-1414
(770) 476-3342 4349 Highway 120
Duluth, GA 30097

Pets Etc (770) 476-4749 2131 Pleasant Hill Road
Duluth, GA 30096

Top Dogs & Cool Critters (770) 218-0602 2615 George Busbee Pkwy.
Kennesaw, GA 30144

Doggie Bags & Baths (770) 682-8838 1480 Buford Drive #A
Lawrenceville, GA 30043

Georgia Pets (770) 514-7126 1150 Powder Springs Rd
Marietta, GA 30064

Greater Atlanta Vet Medical Group (770) 424-6303 1080 N. Cobb Parkway
Marietta, GA 30062

Pets Unlimited (770) 952-1539 1437 Terell Mill Road
Marietta, GA 30067

Imperial Pet Products (678) 583-8666 225 McDonough Pkwy.
McDonough, GA 30253

Oakwood Animal Hospital (770) 503-9080 4132 McEver Road
Oakwood, GA 30566

Puppy Tubs, Inc. (770) 632-7099 116 Huddleston Rd.
Peachtree City, GA 30269

Petland (770) 650-5551 1145 Woodstock Rd.
Roswell, GA 30075

Canine Education Center Inc (912) 356-3649 1711 E Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Victory Feed & Seed (912) 231-0838 2805 Bull Street
Savannah, GA 31405

Metamorphosis (770) 433-1363 2220 Atlanta Road, Suite ...
Smyrna, GA 30080

Herbs for Health-Snellville (770) 978-8878 2302-A Henry Clover Blvd.
Snellville, GA 30078

Healing Hands Animal Clinic (404) 352-8353 167 Old Mill Rd. N.E.
White, GA 30184

Allatoona Animal Hospital (678) 445-1111 6733 Belle Ferry Road
Woodstock, GA 30189

Peace of Mind Veterinary Hospital (770) 516-9896 1506 Shadow Ridge Circle
Woodstock, GA 30189

1 - 20 of 37 Posts