Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello me and my fiance have a two year old Chihuahua named ziggy he is perfectly fine around anyone he met when he was first brought home when he was around 12 weeks including another pug. He loves the pug but now that new dogs are coming into the family he does not give them a chance to get close without being really aggressive. He will sniff the dogs out but out of no where he will bite and become real mean. We really don't know what to do to make him more socialable, any suggestions would be great

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hmmmm? This one I cant help with so hopefully someone will chime in soon :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Cant really give u any advice, but it seems strange that he just changed his behaviour out of no where. Did he have a bad experience with other dogs lately?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
His behavior changing out of the blue like that isn't normal. Sometimes a normally passive dog will start acting aggressive because they're in pain. If this behavior truly is atypical for your dog, the first thing I'd do is get him to the Vet's and get him checked out to see if something's hurting him.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Hmm, has he been regularly socialized with other dogs SINCE you brought him home or is the Pug the only other dog he's known? If this is the case than it's because he wasn't socialized as a pup which does cause these issues...especially with Chi's. That's why it's important to socialize like crazy (espcially from 10-18 weeks). If he's always been fine with other dogs/people & all of a sudden is not...I'd guess he'd either had a bad encounter with another dog recently or there is something else going on with him that would warrant a vet check.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I definitely go along with the vet check idea. Pain does very weird things to their behavior. I agree with the bad encounter theory, too - after my sweet Dary was attacked by a Golden, he was always very defensive around that particular breed...and couldn't watch a Bush's Baked Beans commercial without growling!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I definitely go along with the vet check idea. Pain does very weird things to their behavior. I agree with the bad encounter theory, too - after my sweet Dary was attacked by a Golden, he was always very defensive around that particular breed...and couldn't watch a Bush's Baked Beans commercial without growling!
Are you serious? That is TOO funny! It's not funny that your dog was attacked, I don't mean that at all, but it's really pretty amazing that he will recognize the golden from the commercial and growl at it!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Dary (RIP) was an epic TV watcher, especially towards the end when his mobility was so poor. I even modified the arm of the sofa in the motor home so he could rest his head and neck while he watched TV. We just had the annual large item drop-off in our village yesterday and I got rid of his stinky old loveseat - I think the workers there thought I was nuts, getting misty about beat-up furniture LOL!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Does your dog get aggressive around other dogs when he's away from home? In other words, is he aggressive toward other dogs all the time, or just when new dogs come to his home? It's been mentioned several times in this forum, that if you want your dog to get along with a new dog, that they should meet each other on neutral territory 1st, like a park or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts