Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Harry's pants, but they have become a problem. His fur has grown so long that his pants drag along the ground, getting wet and muddy etc. Here's a pic taken a few months ago when they weren't quite as long:

But far worse than that, EVERY single time he poops, as he squats, the poop lands ON his fur. Even when the poop is totally 'dry', it still rolls down and is in contact along his fur pants. And depending on how many dandelions or leaves he's managed to grab when I haven't been looking, his poop is quite often slightly 'sticky' and then I have the wonderful job of having to clean his pants. Neither of us enjoys that! :foxes15:

I've had to let him use puppy pads indoors again, most of the time, as at least I can deal with the problem straight away. Having to clean him up AFTER he's been running round the house with bits of poop attached to him, is not my idea of using my energy efficiently!

I love his pants, but I think maybe I really need to trim them. Does anyone have any other solutions? (Apart from plaiting them, or creating pigtails!! ;) )

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Ohh this sounds so familiar! :)
I have absolutely no solution for you i'm afraid! I trimmed Honey's furry butt once, she looked like Edward Scissorhands had done a number on her!
I've been lucky that so far, she's never had poo stuck to her. But my old chi Benji did all the time, bum washes every day! Not fun! He was brilliant white aswell, so any stain really showed up too!

·
Registered
191 Posts
When my Sheltie has this issue I trim around his behind so the poop falls out better instead of sliding down his pants. Usually it's when he has had treats so his stools are a bit looser. So then I cut back on those, as well. You don't have to trim it bare just shorter right at the tail base.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
What a gorgeous little munchkin he is!!! No way would I trim my boys pants and I've trimmed my horses & poodle for years - with something like that, I'd definitely take him to an esteemed groomer so it can be done in such a way it doesn't look obvious.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohh this sounds so familiar! :)
I have absolutely no solution for you i'm afraid! I trimmed Honey's furry butt once, she looked like Edward Scissorhands had done a number on her!
I've been lucky that so far, she's never had poo stuck to her. But my old chi Benji did all the time, bum washes every day! Not fun! He was brilliant white aswell, so any stain really showed up too!
Maybe honey has poo-phobic fur, lol! I wish Harry did!

When my Sheltie has this issue I trim around his behind so the poop falls out better instead of sliding down his pants. Usually it's when he has had treats so his stools are a bit looser. So then I cut back on those, as well. You don't have to trim it bare just shorter right at the tail base.
Yes, that's what I was thinking I needed to do. I'm careful with any 'treats' too, because of this issue.

.HE IS BEAUTIFUL!!The pants is long.Sometimes its a problem with mine,especially if their having a tummy problem.
Thank you, I think so too! :) That's why I try to make sure he has a healthy diet, but the little b still manages to sneekily eat dandelions.

What a gorgeous little munchkin he is!!! No way would I trim my boys pants and I've trimmed my horses & poodle for years - with something like that, I'd definitely take him to an esteemed groomer so it can be done in such a way it doesn't look obvious.
Thank you :) When I needed some cash as a student, I worked part-time at a groomers, and learnt a few 'tricks of the trade', so I *think* I'll manage it neatly. I just wish I didn't have to do it... I love his pants!

·
Registered
864 Posts
OMG plait him! that would look so cute!

ehmm... ok. Yeah, I'd say at least the first time, take him to the groomer. If they know what they're doing they should be able to show you how short to go so this doesn't happen anymore, and may even give you some tips to keep it up at home without too much stress (for you or Harry).

Harry is gorgeous, btw. I do love his little furry bell bottoms!

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Oh Harry, your pants are so pretty! Pigtails? Ha ha too cute. My groomer trims Frankie just around his little bum and still leaves most of his pants intact. On the other hand I always have Benny's pants completely done with the sanitary shave, so Ben is pantless!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
♥♥clio♥chi♥chi♥♥;982907 said:
omg I love his pants
Is it just male chis that keep this long or is it ok to leave the girls grow too
really think he is a beautiful chihuahua
Any long coat chi with that type of coat can be long. Customarily long coat Chis are not trimmed. Many trim a "poop shoot" and some other areas if the coat is really long.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OMG plait him! that would look so cute!

ehmm... ok. Yeah, I'd say at least the first time, take him to the groomer. If they know what they're doing they should be able to show you how short to go so this doesn't happen anymore, and may even give you some tips to keep it up at home without too much stress (for you or Harry).

Harry is gorgeous, btw. I do love his little furry bell bottoms!
Bell bottoms... of course! If I hang little bells on each side, it'll keep the fur out of the way, bahahaha! ;-)

Oh Harry, your pants are so pretty! Pigtails? Ha ha too cute. My groomer trims Frankie just around his little bum and still leaves most of his pants intact. On the other hand I always have Benny's pants completely done with the sanitary shave, so Ben is pantless!
Yuh, I could just imagine the looks if I did make them into pigtails, heh heh! ;-) Is there a reason why you get Benny shaved but Frankie only trimmed?

Zarita has a 'poop shoot' trim! My groomer does it nicely.
Oh I love that term! :-D

♥♥clio♥chi♥chi♥♥;982907 said:
omg I love his pants
Is it just male chis that keep this long or is it ok to leave the girls grow too
really think he is a beautiful chihuahua
Thanks :) Both sexes have 'pants' - some have longer than others.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, I thought Lady had some nice pants. Your dog is gorgeous. Does the "pant hair" just keep growing and growing? I suppose it would need to get cut after awhile!
I've always assumed it stops growing when they get their full coat (between 2 and 3 years I believe). But Harry's my first Chi, and he's only 2 and a half, so I don't really know.

Whaoooooo! Im srry but ive never seen super long pants, i think its so beautiful!!!
Thank you :D

Zarita has a 'poop shoot' trim! My groomer does it nicely.
Just a thought Susan... is there any chance you could upload a pic of Zarita's rear? I thought it might be a good idea to get a few pics of where 'poop shoots' have been done well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts