Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I haven't been on in awhile but I think I shared that we had to move about four hours from our hometown because DH finally got a job!

Well, when we moved up here, we rented this nasty duplex far from the city because it was literally the only place that would rent to us and allow us to keep all 4 of our furry monsters. I called 100's of listings.

Anyways, the bank foreclosed on the duplex and we had to move :foxes15: which puts us in kind of a cruddy situation. We were able to find an apartment that would allow us 3 dogs. We have moved already and one of our dogs went to live with my mom (until we can purchase a home next year). But, I don't know how long that is going to last. Apparently, our girl keeps getting out of their fence and every time they fix it, she gets out again. I am afraid that she will get out and get lost/hurt.

What I'm looking for, is ideas on what to do to be able to keep her. I don't believe in re-homing her since I don't believe it to be best for her. Ideally, I'd like to keep her in our apartment, but there's the three dog limit and I know we'd get busted. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Only let her outside supervised? Walk her only on a leash? If they have to leave her out for a few minutes, use a tie out? Fix the fence so she can't get out? There are ways to keep her from getting out of the fence if that's the problem.

Sorry about your rough time with housing!!! I hope things pick up for you soon. I know how hard it is to be unsettled.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only let her outside supervised? Walk her only on a leash? If they have to leave her out for a few minutes, use a tie out? Fix the fence so she can't get out? There are ways to keep her from getting out of the fence if that's the problem.

Sorry about your rough time with housing!!! I hope things pick up for you soon. I know how hard it is to be unsettled.
They have a dog door (have other dogs) and aren't willing to supervise her additionally or leash walk her for her potty breaks. I know it's not ideal (because I don't allow my girls out without supervision) but I don't want to have to re-home her so I thought I'd deal with the unsupervised outside time. Then, she started getting out of the fence. Apparently, when they installed said fence, they didn't dig it under at all (so it's just resting on the ground) and the dogs can easily dig under it and get out. It's not just mine that's getting out but my Mom's and sister's dogs as well. I guess it doesn't both them. It's not something I can look past because I don't want her out and able to get hurt/lost/stolen. I'm tempted to drive down there and get her but then, I have nothing to do with her when I get back.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Can you board her? Leave her with a friend? Get someone to 'foster' her until you get a house?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to see if my Mom would agree to put her in her room when she leaves and I'll buy one of those fence dog kennels so she can get out into the backyard but not out of the fence.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Oh I wish I could help, I live near Orlando. We live in a gated community and the limit is 2 dogs under 20 lbs. Does anyone on here live close to you??

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I would bring her up and only try to find someplace if you get busted. It is not safe her getting out all the time. That would be my biggest fear. Do you regularly walk all your dogs? Take two in the morning and two at night. You have two that sorta look alike, walk one at one time, one at the other. If they don't go out much, I think you could get around it. I know we had 4 dogs in our condo, but the only dog anyone knew about outside was the lab/pit mix because his bark was so intimidating. We lived there two and a half years and no one knew I had two pekes and a doxie mix, too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd probably try 4 and alternate like they said. Or switch out for one of the dogs that doesn't get out at her house. What we had to do on one side of the house for the boxer when she was young was buy some chicken-wire like stuff, staple gun it to the fence bottom and dig it in a little bit but folded over on the bottom. Obviously she was much bigger but it did the trick. Would your mom let you do that?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Have you tried talking to your property manager/landlord? They may be willing to let you keep the four since they are small dogs if you pay an additional fee or deposit for the pet. Some property managers/landlords stick to their rules no matter what and others bend the rules according to the situation.
Our property managers are great and are willing to work with us on special situations. I am glad that we live in a very pet friendly apartment complex (I do not think we have a pet limit but I should check that since we are talking about getting another chi after Jaxx turns 1.) Our apartment manager even keeps treats for tenants dogs in her office. I told her Jaxx could not have rawhide treats (which is what she was offering him one day) and she went out and bought special treats that I said he could have.
Since you figure you would get caught if you tried to keep all four then it might not hurt anything to tell them the situation and ask if there is a way that you can keep the fourth one.
If they will not let you then I agree with the others and I would try switching out for another dog that may not escape but, likely if they see the other dogs your mom has do it then they will probably follow suit eventually.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You might find another one of your dogs doesn't try to escape and would be a better match at your parent's house. Once they know they can get out, that's pretty much their goal when they hit the yard, so I think she is going to continue to try and that's just too much worry for a person to have hanging over them.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We brought her home....a week after I posted this. My other Chi, Daisy, went to stay with my MIL for about a month but she started putting on weight so we brought her home. We are currently sneaking.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
We brought her home....a week after I posted this. My other Chi, Daisy, went to stay with my MIL for about a month but she started putting on weight so we brought her home. We are currently sneaking.
Glad you came up with a sneaky solution..:)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I'd go ahead and update this old thread. We snuck all four for a little over a year until we closed on a house March 2013.

All four girls are happily home and they have a dog door and a "puppy palace." In our backyard.

Puppy Palace is a small fenced in, roofed area where they can go outside and sunbathe/potty but not have full run of the backyard and no threats from birds. None of the girls have ever attempted to escape from puppy palace- even though it's not even a real fence containing them (the rest of the yard is fenced in with a real fence though.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
We have 3 chi's and a sheltie in our condo. 3 dogs are allowed by the city, and 2 dogs allowed by the condo association. I went to the head of the board, and told them that I had 3 dogs and by roommate had a sheltie. Several of the dogs were therapy dogs, and that swung the decision. When the older dogs died, I just replaced them, and no one said anything. I don't let them out too much, and I am right 'on' them for any unnecessary barking.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I remember this thread. Thank you for the update!! Oh, I'm so glad you were able to keep your fur family together until you got your home. :D Puppy palace sounds like doggy heaven! Your dogs are just beautiful!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Two of your little ones look pretty similar, how about only 3 out at a time? I had 3 dogs for a while and was only allowed 2. 1 was a minpin, 2 were bichons. So, the minpin and 1 bichon went out to potty, and then I'd switch bichons.

It's breaking the "rules" for sure, however, I left the home in great condition, and my 3 caused no more damage than 1 dog would (and far, far less damage than my toddlers!!LOL)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts