Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the proper response when as soon as a little chi is introduced to a larger dog (in a neutral environment) and the larger dog is not being aggressive at all, just minding their own business politely ignoring the chi, the chi just *screams* and barks and tries chasing/lunging the bigger dog? =S I don't know how to properly correct the behavior. Eleanor's response is much worse than Kahlua's but I'm still not sure what action to take... if it's a fear response, I don't see how any type of correction will work at all. But I also know in "dog language" it's not exactly a polite or submissive behavior to start charging and barking at a new dog who isn't making any advances at all to her. Even at a distance, if she's in sight, Ellie flips out.
We've taken in a rescue dog, possibly temporarily (aren't sure yet) who's very sweet and well socialized but Eleanor especially is not doing anything to make her feel welcome. I'd like to peacefully coexist here, I don't expect for them to be "friends" but it would be nice for them to be okay in the same room together.
If anyone has any advice on what to do, that would be great. I'm just unsure what response on my part I should have when the newbie is just relaxing and El starts flipping out on her...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wish I knew the answer to this, too! Tiki is pretty aggressive with Maddie our German shepherd, who just wants to be Tiki's friend. I'll be watching to see what's said.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If they are on lead, a lead correction along with a verbal correction to stop it, repeated until she does, generally gets the point across. If the corrections don't help by the third time, in the crate she goes, away from the family who's having fun. Take her out 15 minutes later and try again. When she's off lead, use the squirt bottle technique and same thing. Verbal command to stop it along with the squirt to distract her. After three corrections, into the crate. All she has to learn is to stay on her bed and be quiet. They don't have to play with the other dogs. They just have to ignore them.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
very good advice from LiMarChis :)

i would also take them singly on lead around a bigger dog you can trust ,easier to teach one at a time as some times one dog is the instigator and the other will follow .

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have a similar situation with my older chi (almost 8 pounds) and my younger girl (2.5lbs). When I brought Maya home as a puppy, Bruiser (older dog) was not happy. His personality is more cat like and he did not like having the new puppy here. She would jump at him, bit his legs and he would just stand there annoyed. On occassion, he growled at her and that got her attention. A vet's wife told me to not expect them to be close friends and to watch them closely. We would put them together for a time each day so that *both* dogs could get used to eachother for a little while each day; but always supervised. In time, they have gotten to tolerate eachother. Maya still wants Bruiser to play and he is not going to. But she tried every day. However, they now can sleep together and be unsupervised because they both now know their place. Maya still curls up next to Brusier in *his* dog bed even though she has her own every night and now he lets her. So, I guess they worked it out. But removing the agressive dog; big or small is the ticket until they can be nice. Good luck and hope it works out.
Tricia

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone. If anyone else wants to chime in that'd be great too but I wanted to give an update-

Started out keeping El in a crate while new girl Lola just sat in the room. (She's very mellow and laid back.) El would bark and flip out, we squirted her. She just ended up getting soaked but still kept barking. I said "Eh!" and snapped my fingers, to which she cowered and wagged her tail and laid down. Every time Lola moved, El would jump up and start barking again. I'd interrupt her verbally and she'd settle again.

Kahlua did a LOT better when we had El crated, as I think she was feeding off her energy. Lua seemed curious, she'd try to get close to sniff Lola... but whenever Lola turned to look at her, Lua would growl. Then Lola would respond with a grumble. Then both got squirted in the face. =P We just did a short 15 minute session but most of the time both Kahlua and Lola would just lay on opposite sides of me ignoring each other, relaxed... which at this point is all I'm asking for. It's already progress from yesterday. Whenever Lola would stand up or move, you could tell Lua was nervous but both got squirts to interrupt any tension which did fine. I may seem paranoid, but one of my best friends lost her chihuahua last year from being attacked by one of her own other dogs and they'd known each other well and never showed signs of issues... so I'm making sure to take this one step at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts