Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we picked Jax up more than a week ago he has went almost everywhere with us. If he could not go with me then my boyfriend was at home with him. Unfortunately, on the 22nd we are heading up to Dallas for the day to do some errands and to go to the Ice Exhibit at the Gaylord Hotel. My problem is what to do with Jax that day. Dallas is approximately 90 minutes away from us and Jax does fine in cars but I am not sure how he would do for that long of a ride.
I do not want to leave him in his cage at home since it will a little over 8 hours and he has never been left alone for longer than 30 minutes.
I do not really want to put him in a kennel because of how my golden retriever was treated years ago in a kennel.
I thought about taking him with us and finding a doggy day care center up in Dallas but, I have never used this type of service and I am not sure how they treat the dogs.
I know that there are some of the errands in Dallas that we could take him with us for but not all of them.
Does anyone have any suggestions. What does everyone do with their little ones when they have to be gone 8 hours or more?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I am lucky, my BF's mom will chi-sit for the day if I am super busy and need to be gone for 8+ hours. Is there a family member or friend who can watch him?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mom would love to watch (spoil) him but we are in TX and she is in WV. Unfortunately, we just moved to the area and haven't met a lot of people yet. All of our family is far away.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
If someone can't watch him, I would just leave him in a room/playpen with plenty of toys, chewys, food, and potty pads. Take him for a walk before you leave and he will be fine.. It is just one day, right?

·
Registered
86 Posts
If someone can't watch him, I would just leave him in a room/playpen with plenty of toys, chewys, food, and potty pads. Take him for a walk before you leave and he will be fine.. It is just one day, right?
This is what I would do too. Either that or try out a doggie daycare near your home. :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I too would just set up a playpen for him. Set it up so one side has pee pads or litter box or whatever you use for pottying; just in case he has to go. If you don't have a playpen you can just use a bathroom. Or, even put up some babygates so that he has full run of the kitchen. The tiles will make any accidents easy to clean up and will be easy for him to stay out of trouble. Maybe leave a radio or TV on just for background noise so he doesn't feel isolated. Just be sure to leave him access to water and food and lots of safe chewies that he can have without supervision to keep him occupied (like a kong filled with frozen peanut butter, or nylabones).

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My girls are at home on all work days so it is their routine and daily life. Since your baby is not home alone much, I understand your concern.
You have been given great advice. Another thing you may wish to consider is in-home care. Our vet office and a natural pet store were both of help identifying services who do this. One is $15/visit, the other $20. They will come anytime during the day you wish. They will walk them, feed them, play with them or whatever you ask.
Both companies came to the house, met us, met the girls, interviewed us to bits about habits, do's and dont's about our house and the girls before they ever came to care for them. One has our house key on file and that way should we have some awful thing happen that requires us to immediately pack and leave town, for instance, all we do is place a call and a care giver is dispatched to our house. They are bonded and insured.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Both companies came to the house, met us, met the girls, interviewed us to bits about habits, do's and dont's about our house and the girls before they ever came to care for them. One has our house key on file and that way should we have some awful thing happen that requires us to immediately pack and leave town, for instance, all we do is place a call and a care giver is dispatched to our house. They are bonded and insured.
That sounds AWESOME!!! We almost never travel (at least, we haven't had any reason to be gone overnight for anything in a few years) but that almost sounds like a good idea just for safety purposes to have as an emergency contact on hand. Not that friends/family aren't good too; but having a bonded and insured person sounds really good. Especially since you really can't always guarantee that friends/family will be able to drop everything and come over. I'm going to look in to having something like that for my dogs. For Kahlua's birthday one of my friends gave me a "dog sitters handbook" where I could write details for all the pets and leave behind for them. Its great to have on hand just in case we don't have time to sit down and explain everything in person.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My first thought was like Karen, check with your vet or groomer and see if a pet sitting company is recommended. I've taken my Dobe, Ripley, to doggie daycare for socialization. She loves it! However I would never take Bianca there because they don't separate weight groups. It's worth asking in your area if they separate groups. We have multiple baby gates, so that's the way we would go for one day. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I really think that just setting up a safe place like in the kitchen or exercise pen would be just fine. It might be to long to be closed in a crate, but having room to walk about and eat and potty when needed, he will be fine. We are almost always home with Draco but once in a while he has to stay home. When he was a pup, we put a video camera on his area and all he did most of the time was sleep. The day care would be a great idea if you had to leave him for a couple of days, but for one day, he should be just fine by himself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts