Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darla and Daisy have gone off their food again.
The past 3 days they have just been picking, and only if i take it out their bowls and put it on the floor.
They have been on Burns mini bites, loved it for a while, but woudnt touch it recently so i added some Acana and they ate that, so thought that was it sorted, but now they hardly touch the acana either.
I am worried they are not eating enough, and seem to already have lost a bit of weight by the look of them.

Have tried everything, wetting it, different bowls, puting their bowl in different places, the lot!
I know it's not that they are sick, cause they still want a treat, not that have given them any.
They still play etc... too

I just worry especially about Darla being so young and small.
Dont know what to try next.
Dont have access to a lot of foods here and i dont want to get any store crap.
I dont want them to go on eating tiny bits each day, it's hardly anything at all and even with the no treats they are happy to just starve it seems.
Am at my wits end here really! :(

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
.... and only if i take it out their bowls and put it on the floor..... :(
be careful, or they will train you! :)
Jerry is my picky eater. I don't want to change up his food all of the time. So,
sometimes I put a little warm water over the kibble to bring up the flavor.
That gets him eating. Or, you can warm the food just a bit. Chi's do NOT have
a good sense of smell. That's why it is so hard to get them interested in some
foods. If you can create a yummy aroma, that may get them to eat.
You also may try to rub the bottom of their dish with something very tasty
like cheese or meat, then put the kibble in...
Good luck! and keep us posted :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Therese, will try heating it and putting something nice in the bowl before giving them it.
I know i have to stand my ground and not keep changing their food.
Acana is what they are getting now and will just keep at it.
Hopefully they realise i wont back down, lol
Will let you know how it goes. xx

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm sorry you are having troubles with the pups eating. I know it's hard watching them not eat when you know they are hungry but unless they are truly ill they will not let themselves starve. I'm guessing if you keep switching kibble, putting it on the floor & doing anything else out of the ordinary just to get them to eat a meal - they will keep going through their picky spells. When given the chance - like Therese said, they will train you! They are very smart & can obviously be VERY stubborn. You just have to be more so...as difficult as it can be.

When we fed kibble Maxie would have days where he wouldn't eat breakfast. I simply put the food away & come dinner time 9 times out of 10 he'd eat his dinner right down. And if not, he didn't get anything until breakfast the next morning when he surely ate every bite. Since switching to raw - we've not had an issue at all. He loves his raw food. :)

**I wanted to add. Personally - I wouldn't do anything different to the food you don't plan to do for every feeding. Such as heating it, adding a little something, etc. Like I said...if you keep doing something a little different just to get them to eat - they will keep having spells where they will refuse to eat it unless you switch it up a bit. Meaning...they will eventually get board of the warmed food, sprinkled with a little something, etc & stop eating that. I believe the saying I once read: "picky dogs are created by their owners". Those pups are that smart! LOL

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
If Chico turns up his nose at his kibble... I usually give him a couple of kibbles out of my hand and then go away... that seems to 'prime' him and he will start eating....

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Heather.
Will be strong like you say, even if hard.:)
Could it also be lack of variety in flavours?
The Burns only has one.
At least with Acana there are 3 i think.

I did want to switch them over to the Acana anyhow so i think that i will stick to that, even though it is harder for me to get.
I have been lifting the bowls after a while, and last time i put them back down they ate some.
I thought i was lucky and didnt have the picky eaters, lol x

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Well, that's the hard part about kibble - lack of variety. I did switch the EVO flavors a couple times when I fed kibble & it worked for a while with Maxie but it went right back to the same skipping breakfast thing. But even different flavors of the same food can be boring. It's like us only eating ritz crackers & switching to whole wheat or vegetable flavor on occasion. Saying that, it's not a bad idea because the different flavors have different ingredients (I'm guessing chicken/beef/etc?) and that could be beneficial to them as well as enticing them to eat if they get board of a certain food. But it won't stop them from getting board of that food too. LOL It's a vicious cycle!!

I find the key is to leave the food down for say 15 minutes (I didn't even give Maxie that long because if I had the other pups would have eaten his food - so he basically got 2 minutes max to eat LOL) & pick it back up until dinner. Leave it down for 15 minutes at dinner time & then it goes back up until breakfast the next morning. They WILL get hungry & eat eventually. Especially if you only give them 2 chances a day for a short period of time to eat. They'll realize - if I don't eat now...I won't be able to again for a while & be more apt to eat.

At any rate...good luck!! If they do well on the Acana & you are happy with it - definitely stick to that & a set routine & they will come around. :)

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I agree with two meals a day. Removing the food/bowl after 15 mintues or so. It was hard
at first, but Jerry got the idea in a hurry. As for tweaking up the aromas in the food, I only
find this necessary on the odd day when neither of them take any interest in food. No, I don't
do it all of the time. And yes, it does help get them off a "hunger strike" when needed :)

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Awwww Terri your pups have you well trained! LOL, its had work when they are picky. Rocky was like that when he was younger I used to mix a little wet food in it to make it more interesting for him.

Different story now he acts if he is starving all the time and inhales his food, such a greedy boy!!

Hope you get your 2 darlings to eat soon xxxx

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
How much are you feeding them and what do they weigh?

Tango's 3 1/2 lbs and he gets a total of just under 1/4 cup of kibble a day. That's 1/8 cup twice a day. That's less than any "recommended amount" or "guidline" amount I've seen on food bags, web sites etc. But that's the amount he needs to eat to not gain weight, and to be hungry at each meal. Jazz is currently getting the same amount because she's about the same weight, but she's still growing so will likely go up just a tad because she's going to be bigger than Tango.

I feed my dogs a combination of Evo Innova red meat (the small bites) and Orijen. I combine them because I like having the different protein sources (beef from the Evo, and fish and fowl from the Orijen) plus I like the additional omegas etc., from the fish source. Sometimes I'll feed them Evo in the morning, and Orijen in the evening. Or vice versa. Sometimes I'll mix the kibble and they'll get a little bit of both at each meal. While that might keep them more interested in the food because they're never sure what flavors they'll be eating, I am convinced, after a lot of trial and error, that they eat all their food at every meal because they're HUNGRY. They get just enough food at each meal to satisfy their weight criteria, NOT their appetites. In other words, they're given a specific amount that keeps them at the healthy weight I want them, and not the amount THEY want, which will push them towards overweight.

That may sound cruel, to you. But I will NOT have overweight dogs and the array of medical and health problems that can result in. I KNOW they're taken care of nutritionally because they have abundant energy, their weight is perfect, their poops are firm, their fur is soft and shiny, their eyes bright, and their blood numbers are exactly where they should be which means their livers, hearts, kidneys etc are all functioning at peak.

I almost can't remember the last time my dogs didn't eat all their food at every meal. If they're bored with it, hunger trumps boredom every single time.

Tango USED to be a "picky eater," and I pandered to that a LOT after I rescued him. When I first got him, he wouldn't eat the same food twice in a row, had to be hand fed at least to start him eating, and often times wouldn't eat at all unless he was hand fed every bite. I created a monster when I pandered to that, and it took a lot of work to undo.

But now, he's a different dog, because I STOPPED letting him run the show, and instead insisted he played by MY rules. I am the boss, after all. He may be the dominant dog (between Jazz and him) but *I* am the Alpha in this pack.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.
Tink i am not sure of Darla's weight, just tried to weigh her on my bathroom scales and they are useless and need a new battery, so will try later.
Daisy is roughly 5lbs, well was last time at vets.
I dont give them large portions about a quarter too, maybe more a day.

I gave them their dinner at half past 5 today and i heated it first, they ate it in one go so either they were really hungry or the stronger smell worked like Therese said, yay!!
I will maybe go from 3 meals a day to 2 now and see if that helps.
Am not really sure how much acana i am supposed to give them, i heard you feed less of that.
I dont want them overweight or too much under obviously.

Will keep you posted anyway.
Would like to still be able to give the odd treat but for now that has to stop till they are eating properly. xxx

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Yay! They are eating again :)
I would also cut back to two meals a day.
That makes toileting easier to predict as well... Input equals output.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, they are eating their Acana now so am pleased. Woohoo!!
I have been rubbing a little cheese or meat in the bowls, chopping and changing that, and they scoff the lot!
They are down to 2 meals and i have been good at resisting giving them any treats.
Darla still gets her bullys though so can help nudge those loose teeth out, lol

I also plan on getting another flavour of the acana so can provide a bit of variety for them. xx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts