Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im in a difficult situation
as you know my son has aspergers age 7
we were going to keep arthur b/t/w boy, he beautiful ect
my son was there when bruce was born sable boy beautiful too imo
well the bond between this 7 yo and nearly 6 week old pup is heart wrenching
i cannot keep both, its not workable dueable, i will be divorced!!!
what do i do, i need someone to tell me.
stay with arthur or break my sons heart. dont say he will get over it, he will never forgive me, remember hes aspergers.
at the moment they are on the sofa watching tv

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Trying to understand?! You have 4 Chis plus the new pup chi that your 7 year old son has grown attached to? Is this right? Your hubby doesn't want the pup & is threatening divorce? Is this right?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I say keep the one your son wants to keep but explain to him as best you can that this is the only time he gets to pick, in the future mummy gets to pick if there are more puppies.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Hon do you have family that can take the pup?
Your son could still visit him that way.
Talk to your hubby and tell him this pup has
been therapy for your son! It has helped him
cope and come out of his shell?
Promise him its the last chi in your pack if you have to.
Talk it out Hon till he comes around.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Eek, what a tough situation! I'd be inclined to keep the sable pup...sounds like this pup may even help him a bit? I don't envy you to make this decision.... Just follow your heart. :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Awww Amanda, that is a tough one!!
I think you know deep down what you need to do, but Arthur is adorable.
So is the other wee one mind you and am sure you would love that one as much too.

Are you absolutly certain you couldnt keep both though?
I mean you are the one that looks after them all anyway right?

I would hate to be in your situation.
Hopefully you can work something out where you would all be happy. xx

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I think they're both adorable & I'd keep the one your son wants to keep, but tell your son that he's going to help take care of this chi. I don't think you'll go wrong with either one of the chis. It will all work out. Problems always seem bigger than they really are.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh Amanda that is so hard,1st you think kids can't always have what they want and must learn the hard way (life isn't easy ) then you must think will this help your son with his aspergers ???? Sorry i don't know what to say unless you can get round hubby to keep both, 1 is yours and the other your sons ,so YOU only are keeping 1

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Amanda i'd keep the sable pup.. he is beautiful but please change the name. I would explain to your son that on this occassion you are keeping this puppy but it will be HIS puppy.. give him some responsibility it may help him (obv you will do everything lol).

The sable pup is actually now nicer than Arthur (Arthur..lol alright Eastenders)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Amanda - this is a pretty easy choice for me. There will be other puppies. There is only one boy. ;) Let him have the puppy he has bonded with. They will grow up together and who knows what therapy and strides the little sable pup will help your son make. I would DEFINITELY keep the puppy that he has bonded with.

My nephew has aspergers and I know a little bit what you are dealing with. It is a challenge every day. If the little sable puppy helps your son, even just a little bit, it is worth it.

That's my take. :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I would keep the sable pup, most definitely. :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I say keep the pup that your son wants. Puppies come and go but your son has bonded with THIS one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have a son with aspergers, and kids with aspergers need to be challenged to keep them occupied, it's how they cope. Having the responcibility of a pet is a great way to help your son. In our case we got him a Guinea pig, and hermit crabs. Opposite ends of the spectrum..... it made him think about and control two different things, plus his own life which was school, home work Civil air Patrol and flight lessons (he was 14 at the time). It seemed the more we challenged him, the better he was. Today, he's 16 1/2, and is a great boy....... Has 2 jobs, does great in school (for the most part) has his license and a little truck he drives everywhere.

I know this doesn't help you with the Puppy issue, but your son will overcome the puppy challenge regardless of what decision you have to make, as well as a lot of other major decisions that will creep up in his life time. I true;y understand your situation, and am not envious by any means. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
id keep the one your son wants regarding his condition. There will be a time when you may get another puppy in the future. im sure you will find a lovely home for the other pup xx

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Bless your heart Amanda. You are such an amazing Mom (as I've expressed to you before). You'll know in your heart what the right decision is. Sometimes, I mean all the time, LOL, things just don't go the way we plan them. I find those times end up being some of the best times and things really do happen for a reason. Good luck with how you handle it and believe me, if you would have told me that I'd have six dogs a couple of years ago, I would have denied it full tilt. LOL. Love to you honey and your sweet family.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I would pick the sable pup.It sounds like it might help him some.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Theyre both lovely boys, but I actually prefer the sable boy anyway so itd be an easy choice for me! You know your son better than anyone, if its just a passing interest thats one thing, but if they have really bonded and seem to have a special connection it sounds like that could be a really positive relationship for your son.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Amanda, if you think keeping the Sable boy will be good therapy for your Son, then that's the choice I'd make. He really is a beautiful pup. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts