Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you probably have read that we lost Holly to her previous owners on Wednesday night..... :(

During the discussions on whether to give her back or not OH promised our kids that if she went we would get another puppy. This didn't really bother me because we had already pretty much decided to get a 4th so there is still room for Holly if her owners change their mind again & she comes back home, but it was our intention to leave it for a while to let them properly get over Holly leaving.

Here is the problem..... I called my MIL yesterday to see if her wee chi's could come stay with us for the weekend while she was away to cheer the kids up. When I was talking to her I offered to give her Yogi's breeders number as she has pick of their current litter & she needed to choose in the next 2 weeks so the others could be shown to other prospective new homes. Well, she tells me she has decided not to get another chi at the moment, she is going to wait until after her 15 year old Maltese passes away.

Sooo that leaves us with pick of the litter if we want it. I am just not sure what to do. The pups won't be ready to leave until mid May. Do you think it is too soon after Holly has left? I don't want to just put a "bandaid" over our hearts with a new pup. :confused:

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I say go for it, My house was no fun and very boring without a chi in it when I lost my Roxy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Only you and your family will know what's right, I think you'll just know in your heart.

IMO it sounds good. You get to choose a puppy now, from a breeder you know and trust. You get over a month to grieve for Holly and get used to not having her, but at the same time your hearts will be warmed by knowing there's a new puppy on the way. It will be exciting for the kids to prepare for him/her, thinking of names, getting everything ready. And maybe it will help you all air your feelings about Holly at the same time.

I would guess that you'll be ready for a new puppy around mid-May anyway, and if you leave it till then to start looking, you'll be left with an empty gap in your home until you find one.

I wish you the best of luck with it. Your emotions must be a bit raw at the moment, so it's tough to think straight maybe.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Well. I am guilty of this "crime". People can think what ever they want about me and I am okay with that. You will always see me post my thoughts but suggest people do what is best for their lifestyle and their family. ALWAYS.

Here is my story. I may be a bad example. Our boy was 13 and diagnosed with congestive heart failure. We were devastated. We did everything we could. I hand made his food, we took him to the best doctors and we loved the bits out of him and pampered him more than ever. We were given 3 months and he stayed with us for 8.

It was time for him to go and sadly we waited a bit too long hoping he would go on his own. A few days before Thanksgiving our vet said it was time, to bring him in but he would not be there that day. We took him in and another vet was there, gave him a shot and told us we could go home with him, increase his medicine and watch him. Bad idea in hindsight. We then had the agony of him not eating nor even standing for a couple of days until the holiday was over and they opened again. He was gone. That was Friday.

We are empty-nesters and our house was suddenly silent. And still. And profoundly sad. So, my husband and I (NOT criers) had already cried for a week solid, cried and could not talk, eat or sleep. We had agreed no more animals. We have grandchildren now and they are out of town and we need to travel to see them.

The NEXT day I found my husband crying at the computer and he was looking at chis. I called a local breeder, explained or situation and asked if we could come and just cuddle with the puppies to ease our hurt. She understood and invited us that very night. We went in and the puppies were wild! One puppy crawled right up in my husband's lap and fell asleep. We were not prepared but were in love.

W went home and thought about it and talked and cried some more. We decided that we had to eat and sleep and go back to work and could not continue as we had. We went back and got her the VERY next day. She cried on the drive home and we cried too. I told her that it was okay that we could both just cry together. I also told her about Mick and while she took his "space", no one will ever take his place.

Suddenly, our house was crazy, active and alive. We laughed. And slept and ate. We have never once regretted our choice nor our timing. Some people said "good for you", others said "oh, that is too soon" and I have not really heard any of them. Another friend said, "you know, the best tribute we can make to a pet that is gone is to commit to love and care for another". I heard her.

Okay, then we really got crazy and got our second 2 months later. So much for no more dogs.

Only you know what is best for your family. I wish you the best as you make that choice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well. I am guilty of this "crime". People can think what ever they want about me and I am okay with that. You will always see me post my thoughts but suggest people do what is best for their lifestyle and their family. ALWAYS.

Here is my story. I may be a bad example. Our boy was 13 and diagnosed with congestive heart failure. We were devastated. We did everything we could. I hand made his food, we took him to the best doctors and we loved the bits out of him and pampered him more than ever. We were given 3 months and he stayed with us for 8.

It was time for him to go and sadly we waited a bit too long hoping he would go on his own. A few days before Thanksgiving our vet said it was time, to bring him in but he would not be there that day. We took him in and another vet was there, gave him a shot and told us we could go home with him, increase his medicine and watch him. Bad idea in hindsight. We then had the agony of him not eating nor even standing for a couple of days until the holiday was over and they opened again. He was gone. That was Friday.

We are empty-nesters and our house was suddenly silent. And still. And profoundly sad. So, my husband and I (NOT criers) had already cried for a week solid, cried and could not talk, eat or sleep. We had agreed no more animals. We have grandchildren now and they are out of town and we need to travel to see them.

The NEXT day I found my husband crying at the computer and he was looking at chis. I called a local breeder, explained or situation and asked if we could come and just cuddle with the puppies to ease our hurt. She understood and invited us that very night. We went in and the puppies were wild! One puppy crawled right up in my husband's lap and fell asleep. We were not prepared but were in love.

W went home and thought about it and talked and cried some more. We decided that we had to eat and sleep and go back to work and could not continue as we had. We went back and got her the VERY next day. She cried on the drive home and we cried too. I told her that it was okay that we could both just cry together. I also told her about Mick and while she took his "space", no one will ever take his place.

Suddenly, our house was crazy, active and alive. We laughed. And slept and ate. We have never once regretted our choice nor our timing. Some people said "good for you", others said "oh, that is too soon" and I have not really heard any of them. Another friend said, "you know, the best tribute we can make to a pet that is gone is to commit to love and care for another". I heard her.

Okay, then we really got crazy and got our second 2 months later. So much for no more dogs.

Only you know what is best for your family. I wish you the best as you make that choice.

Oh dear - I had tears in my eyes reading your post. When our Ragdoll, Nalu passed last year we also immediately got a new cat as Lou was my 5 year old daughter's best friend & the hole he left in her life in particular was just too big.

I think we have decided to go ahead and have a look at the pups & see what we want to do. My dogs are my extra kids as we decided not to have any more children after our son was born due to his special needs. Bella in particular has gotten me through many nights of worry & fear when Jesse was very sick & I don't know what I would do without them.

I am going to contact our breeder tomorrow & take it from there.....

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
You can never NEVER replace the pup you loose no matter what the circumstance. We have lost 3 over the last 29 years. Each one a devastating loss. A new life in your home never replaces the one you lost however, it helps add the life back in it. Whether an adult dog comes into your home or a sweet, busy little puppy joins the family. The new life adds a certain amount of fresh newness to help the aching heart.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I went out the very next day too, and got a puppy! Now at 73, I will get a retired breeder from one of the good breeders I know! Probably no more babies. Sue Davis

·
Registered
285 Posts
When we lost our first chi, it took about a 2 weeks to decide we had to bring home another chi. I had wanted a second one anyway and with no dog in the house I was literally going crazy. After searching online we decided to contact our first chis breeder and lucky us she had 2 puppies from the same parents. A few weeks later we all drove to South Carolina to get Bailey. People told me to wait but I never listen and I have never once regretted it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts