Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just heard from Khorra's breeder that they still have Khorra's sister for sale and are moving out of state in a week and need a home for the puppy. They lowered the price and asked if I wanted her since they think we have provided such a nice home for Khorra. I know I want to eventually have a second Chi and had even considered getting two at the same time. I am enjoying Khorra so much. She is such a joy to have around. I'm not sure what to do. Sometimes I wish I had a second Chi for Khorra to play with, but there are some times when I'm content with just having the one. What would you do?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I got a second when my first puppy was 3 months old. I hadn't planned on it, but don't regret it for a second. They play together all the time, they sleep together, and I don't have to worry about leaving them alone. All Bambi's issues, such as mouthing and whining for attention disappeared as soon as we brought Harley home. Plus there are two laps in this house, now there are two chi's to fill them :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a second when my first puppy was 3 months old. I hadn't planned on it, but don't regret it for a second. They play together all the time, they sleep together, and I don't have to worry about leaving them alone. All Bambi's issues, such as mouthing and whining for attention disappeared as soon as we brought Harley home. Plus there are two laps in this house, now there are two chi's to fill them :)

Thanks! This is encouraging. I do wish at times that Khorra had a playmate when we are unable to watch her and she is in her pen. She does really well in her pen and plays with her toys or naps, but still. It'd be nice to have a playmate for her. Khorra is very mouthy when playing. We are working on it with her, but she just gets so excited when she plays. She's not nippy to be mean or anything, it is totally just in play so that would be great if a second puppy would possibly help out with this issue. Khorra was only 7 weeks when we got her so from what I've heard it sounds like she left her siblings and mom before she could learn that nipping hurt. There are five laps in our house, so there shouldn't be an issue there. My two youngest kids sometimes argue over who gets to hold Khorra.

I only have a week to decide since the breeders are moving and they are taking Khorra's sister to a flea market this weekend to try to sell her so I feel kinda rushed to make the decision. Khorra was kind of a last minute decision, but I don't regret her for a minute.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Khorra's sister definitely is not as cute as Khorra and she is going to be long haired. That doesn't bother me, but both of the parents are short haired and the breeder doesn't know where that long hair came from so I have no idea what she'll look like when she grows up. Not that that really matters, I was just adding info.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, this new puppy is also girl. Does it matter if you only have two dogs and they are both girls? Will that cause issues when they are older? They will both be spayed.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
No reason that she shouldn't have a regular long coat. It is a recessive gene, so both parents must be carriers, but it could have been hidden by the dominant short coat gene for many generations.
I can't believe they are taking a puppy to sell at a flea market!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like they are really desperate to find her a home before they move next week. They also have her listed on Craigslist which is a local online classified website.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Id go with ur gut if u really want her then get her if you think you'd rather get a second chi down the line when you feel 100% ready that's ok too. You should get exactly what you want and not settle just because she's available now. It's a 15+ year commitment. Good luck on deciding I don't know what I would do!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think if you have the time and financial means to care for two dogs then go for it! Having two girls shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure Khorra would love to play with her sister again. I do find it rather irresponsible that the breeder is threatening to take her to a flea market. I don't know her full situation but I can't imagine any situation where the only option would be selling a puppy at a flea market.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
The situation sounds a little iffy to me.. Who suddenly needs to move out of state with only a weeks notice? I would offer to take the puppy for a very small fee but I wouldn't give them a lot of money. It sounds like they are just trying to guilt trip you into buying her.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think they were just offering her to me because they knew I was originally interested in her. They didn't mention the flea market thing until I asked if they were firm on their price. It was at that point that they said they were going up to the flea market to try to sell her on Saturday and if they didn't sell her than her price would be negotiable. I don't think they were doing a whole lot to sell her and it's just come down to the wire now. They've already lowered her price by a lot. I think I may go see her and take Khorra with me and see how things go at that point.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't like the flea market either but you can't control what they do. I do like your idea of taking Khorra to see how the two would do together. But keep in mind that both will probably be nervous & out of their element so don't put too much into it if they don't act as you wish them to. My advice would be to take a good look at the other puppy & then just follow your heart. You already have Khorra & know how she has turned out & have confidence that she is well bred so that is a good start. Whatever you decide, best of luck & just be happy no matter what your final decision!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Oh what a hard decision! I think you have to ask yourself honestly. When this puppy is gone and no longer an option, are you going to be sorry you don't have her or OK that she's gone. We have 2 girls and have for 4 1/2 years (not the same girls as one died and we got another girl) and we have never had a problem with 2 girls. They love each other and the older is very protective of the younger. Our only issue is that Gidget thinks ALL the antlers are hers and she doesn't share them well.LOL

·
Registered
622 Posts
They didn't mention the flea market thing until I asked if they were firm on their price. It was at that point that they said they were going up to the flea market to try to sell her on Saturday and if they didn't sell her than her price would be negotiable.
That sadly makes it sound like their top priority is how much they will get for her and not whether she is going to a good home. I'd be tempted to turn away from these breeders or at the very least offer a good home but no money.

If you do decide to get her there are ways to prevent littermate syndrome. I've known people who have gotten litter mates and their dogs are well-adjusted individuals so it is very possible to successfully raise siblings.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone! I have decided not to get her. I did take Khorra and went out to see her. Khorra was mildly interested in her but the new puppy was too nervous to really relax, which was fine. She was super sweet. She was giving me little kisses as I was petting her. But, she has fleas for one thing which is not fun to deal with at such a young age because you are so limited with what you can give a 9 week old puppy. And second, she is so big compared to Khorra. I love how tiny and petite Khorra is and this puppy is just huge next to Khorra. I fear I would never feel the same about this new puppy as I do about Khorra. The connection just wasn't there. Here's a picture I took with my hubby holding both puppies.

Now I have the problem of still wanting a playmate for Khorra since the idea has been put in my head and I was actually getting excited about getting a second puppy, lol!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Your Khorra is such a doll! There are many, many of us with two and it truly is no trouble. You will know when the time is right, and will pick one that you will love as much as you love Khorra. There is a breeder in Texas that I saw on the internet. I don't know how far away from you they are, nor do I know if they are an acceptable breeder--all I saw was their website. They do have AKC chis and they have appleheads with the stops that I personally prefer--that is absolutely a matter of personal perference as all chis are beautiful. If this is something you really get serious about and are interested in, PM me and I will give you the name.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Oh yes, you DEFINITELY made the right decision!

Yours is an absolute doll and you'll have to find another tiny to compliment her fully, NOT overshadow her.

Mind you, if we had Chi's in rescues the way you do, that'd be the first place I would be heading, hell I'd be there weekly :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.