Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I got my new Chihuahuas on Friday, a little girl and a little boy. The only thing is I have never had a small dog before, always had large labradors. I am just unsure about their diet, does anyone have any suggestions as to things they may like, what about drinks?
They are so adorable and I am completely in love, wasnt sure how the kids would get on with them, I have a 2 and 3 year old. But the puppies adore the children and the children are very gentle with them.

thanks in advice , Julia x

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Didn't the breeder give you some food that the puppies were on already? i would keep them on it as they are very young,if you change the diet too soon they will end up with the runs

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Hello & Welcome!

Wow 2 puppies at once! The fun you're going to have! Ask the breeder for the food brand she was feeding them as Michele said they will get upsetstomachs if you instantly change it. GoodLuck cant wait for photos! Keep us updated

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah she gave me some dry food, i keep giving it to them but they really do not seem to be eating it. Im sure they will eat it if they are really hungry, sure they wont starve themselfs. :)

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
If not may they need it soakign a little bit with some hot water so it smells more appealing to them? Dogs arent silly, theyll usually figure out when they have to eat! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they are hysterical together, rolling about and play fighting lol
I will give the breeder a call and check if she was giving them anything else, just incase :)
thanks

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It's prob the change in home but feed them a good quality food everyone talks about food on here it's a bit of a forum obsession

·
Registered
346 Posts
Definitely go for a good quality food when they're a bit older - and change it over slowly over a process of a couple of weeks

Have a search through food related topics on here - there's a lot of good food brands to choose from :) It's probably easier to order online too, as it can be difficult to find certain brands in the pet shops

·
Registered
544 Posts
yeah she gave me some dry food, i keep giving it to them but they really do not seem to be eating it. Im sure they will eat it if they are really hungry, sure they wont starve themselfs. :)
That's no necessarily true. If they are running and playing and burning off calories quicker than they are replacing them, their sugar levels can drop low enough that they don't want to eat. When that happens, they go even longer without food and they can become hypoglycemic real quick. That's an emergency for Chi pups. The breeder should have addressed all this when you got your puppies, along with specific instructions on how she was feeding and how much they should be eating. Please find out from her how they were getting the kibble at home and how much they ate and when. If they aren't eating at your home, you may need to add warm water or some baby food(meat only)/canned puppy food/pureed chicken to the kibble to get them eating. You can always wean them back off the additivies once they are eating well. Pups do fine on dry kibble....but they have to eat it.

Keep us posted. Can't wait to see pics of your new babies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts