Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get Kiwi trained, but I don't know what to look for in a good trainer. I have never had a dog professional trained. The vet gave me a couple of independent trainers that are in our area. I know pet smart does training, but it is to far of a drive for us. What I really want is basic training and to work on a few behavior problems like Kiwi likes to play nip and so times will nip to hard, but I know she doesn't mean it. She is also very stubborn sometimes and does not want to listen. I also want her to be a little more socialized. With being newly married we do plan on having children in the near future and I don't want to give my fur baby away, because of having a new baby in the house. She does not care for my sister-in-laws children and I want to work on that. If any one can help it will be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Ericka & Kiwi

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
My best advise would be to ask these trainers if you can sit in on a training class...so you can decide if that trainer and their techniquies are best for your little chi. Any good trainer will allow you to do that.

I found that my pups respond much better to clicker training and other positive reinforcement training methods. You will find a lot of trainers will use a pintch collar/choke collar, and E-collars (aka shock collars). I find that chihuahuas are just not cut out for that type of training and will shut down on you and not do anything, and in some instances, act out and behave worse. It took Tequila a good 4 weeks to get use to the clicker and the training class the first time but by the end she finished best in the class!!!! I was so proud of her. The trainer was so shocked...here was this timid little chi who just shoke and hid behind me in the beginning and by the end of the 8 weeks she blew all the other dogs away! Now she is just a week shy of graduating basic agility class!

I hope this helped. Again the best thing to do is sit in on a training class and decide for yourself if their methods are right for Kiwi.

Good luck!
Jessica

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jessica that does help. How do you use the clicker? Do you use the clicker and then a treat? About how much does classes cost? I am new to all of this.
Thanks
Ericka & Kiwi

·
Registered
549 Posts
First off, I would ask what type of trainer do you want-
Independent trainer or do it yourself type of training.
With an independent trainer do you want a trainer that trains by control or with rewards.
Control maybe a harsher type of training but with results-this could also depend on the type of dog-if the dog is shy, timid it may be the wrong type of training
With the reward type of training you can learn some of the basics from the trainer and continue with training-but this type of training works best with a timid dog.
With an independent trainer-they are only training the dog and it is their job-so they have more time to input into the training for the end results with a shorter time to the end results.
Do it yourself training can also be an option-petsmart is not the only place that offers this type of training-sometimes a local kennel club will offer classes or an obedience school will offer classes. The classes are usually weekly-so maybe the drive once a week might be worth it-also, there are usually other dogs-different sizes and breeds so you have the socialization during the class time. This type of training is something that takes more of your time, you have to spend time each day between the classes working on the techniques that are laid out during the class. Such as, working on a sit, so for a week you will work on the sit and so on and so forth. But you have to be willing to spend the time or the money is wasted. It is probably less expensive to train yourself-but more time consuming versus an independent trainer will be more expensive but less time.
I was a dog 4-H leader for 9 years-helping children train the family pet-you could tell who was spending the outside time with the pet and who was not.
I have taken a lot of different classes on training my own animals-I have been to classes that offer the control type, the reward type and even clicker training.
I have never had a independent trainer do training for me, I have always done it myself. But talk to the person doing the training either of the animal or yourself. You have to like them before letting them train you or your dog. Ask a lot of questions/do the research before enrolling. Find out if the trainer likes smalls dogs, some do not...that could be a starting point. You are trying to train the animal not break their spirit..Ask the trainer if you could talk to other people that have had their dogs trained by them or taken classes with them, that is also helpful.
Sorry this is so long. I may have opened more questions that I answered. :wave: Hope this helps a little

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Quickdog that info is very helpful. I am new to this training thing and any advice is helpful. I have done some basic training with Kiwi like sit, lay, up, and dance she does very well If I have food but if I don't she just looks at me with this stupid look like WHERE IS MY TREAT I HAVE TO SEE IT FIRST. I try to work with her everyday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts