Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I take Ren out in public, he gets a lot of attention. We did an obedience class at PetSmart recently, and also went on some shopping trips there. I usually bring him along in a carrier, either in my hand or in a shopping cart. It has a removable top which I take off because he loves to stand up and look around at everything. It never fails that whenever I am shopping or waiting in line to pay, people will come up to us and start petting him without asking.

Luckily Ren is very friendly with strangers and he loves being petted. And the thing is, if these people would ask first, I would gladly say yes. So I'm not sure what to say when they start touching him without asking, because I would have said yes anyway. I just think it's a bit rude. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
178 Posts
When people do this with Sophie, I'm always so tempted to just smirk and say 'she bites..'

Buuuut I don't, not because I'm too polite a person-I'm pretty mean natured, honestly-But because I'm sick of the chihuahuas reputation of being ankle piranhas. Sophie is just as much a breed ambassador as my future pit bull will be. So no snide remarks for me :/

I'd love to see other peoples answers, because this is something I want to know too

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I was going to also say...just tell them he bites. LOL If he is friendly & likes the attention though...why the problem with letting people pet him? But if you truely don't want it...the biting comment will work better than anything else. I've had someone do this actually with her friendly Olde English Bulldogges. haha

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
They are welcome to pet two of mine because I know how they will respond. I like keeping those 2 dogs "socially limber" and because I know that they can cope with the unexpected it is not an issue.

The third I prefer they do not so I tell them the truth. She is being trained under a specific method and I'd appreciate if they did not. Nice thing is that I have two others that I can substitute instead. For whatever reason, people always gravitate for the shy/fearful one!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
If I'm holding Gemma, it's usually just old ladies that come up and pet her without asking. She has never bit or attempted to bite anyone, so I just let them. Also, the older people often never speak any English, so it's difficult to communicate anyways. When she's walking on the ground, people will extend their hands out to let her sniff them and she'll walk right up to them, but as soon as they try to pet her she usually runs away, lol.

I understand your frustration though because it can seem a bit rude or just not safe to assume a dog is friendly. I had two old ladies come up to me the other day while I was holding Gemma waiting for my boyfriend outside the grocery store, and they got right up close and made kissy faces to her. Gemma just looked at me like "What the hell are they doing?!" and I pulled back a little. Neither of the ladies spoke English but they walked away pretty quickly after a few smooch noises and pets on her head. I was a little annoyed even though Gemma's reaction was kind of funny. You just never know what a dog might do if they feel threatened for some reason. If I don't want someone petting Gemma or I want to discourage them, I just tell them she is shy and then they usually back off. She can be pretty shy sometimes.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I hate having to handle this situation. Chloe would never bite, but she is so uncomfortable and fearful when people run up and pet her without any warning. She does better when people don't act too enthusiastic. When I see people coming towards, her, I usually say that she's shy and for most people they tend to calm down and that makes Chloe more comfortable. But there are always people who don't listen. It's very frustrating. We were at the dog park last weekend and a little boy who was about 4 years old started to pick her up. I swiped my hand in between him and her and said Do not pick her up! I have to worry about the safety of my baby, too bad if I have to be rude. People should teach their children how to act with other people's dogs. Especially if you're going to bring that child to a dog park. I have always loved kids, but having a chihuahua has made me dread seeing children in public. It seems like none of them know how to properly treat a strange dog. I will definitely teach my future children to never pet a dog without asking first.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I always let people pet Jaxx even if they do so without asking because I want him to be comfortable with people.
Usually most people let him sniff them and after they pet him once Jaxx will run away and try to get them to chase him. People think it is because he is shy but it is just him trying to play because he loves to play chase. So I never have to worry about him being petted for to long since he almost always wants to play.
If he is in my arms I am just used to him attracting attention and people petting him. He will just sit in my arms and let them pet him the most that he will do is lick their fingers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would like to think that people would ask you first, because it is only polite but as you say this is not always the case. I would say to people in an assertive but not aggressive way. 'Yes, I don't mind you petting Ren and thank you for asking"

·
Registered
157 Posts
To me if you don't want people all over your dog you have to be firm, which when you're not the owner comes across rude. Dogs should be socialize. But people and kids are inconsiderate! I have NO patience, and that's bad for my dogs. You could tell people not to pet because she's on duty, aka in training. I would just snap their arm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts