Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondered what treats work for your chi? I haven't found anything to motivate my 9 wk Binky, lol...she'd rather snooze in the sun!! She's very fussy with food anyway so am also worried about filling her up with treats so she won't eat her meals - I did think about using her 'proper' food as treats, chicken etc.? Any advice? X

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I've never had a fussy dog when it comes to treats, but giving 'real' food like chicken is always very successful in my experience. Lilo goes NUTS with things like watermelon. I can get her to do pretty much anything for a tiny piece. :lol: I'd say try out a few 'real' foods that dogs can eat and figure out what Binky really loves. As for filling her up before meals, I give Lilo very tiny pieces when training her.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I'm a mean ole Mama. I don't offer treats. If you have tummy troubles, and you are giving food, treats, etc, it's very hard to narrow down the problem. My pups don't seem bothered at all with no treats. Bully sticks are good for cleaning teeth, and most all dogs love them. So that would be my suggestion. Or just use their food as a treat. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
T, no treats :( I'm coming to take away your doggie card.....LMBO
We tried the treat thing for awhile, but all 4 of my pups had HGE. This was about 3 years ago. After that, treats scare me. My boy has IBD after all of that, and they all have sensitive tummies, so we play it safe with simple. :) I'm a terrible Chi Mama. ;) :lol:

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I buy treats on occasion, but mostly I make them. And I make them thin and small! They feel they are getting a "treat" but not all the calories that come with the big commercially made ones. When I say thin, I mean thin- as in dime thin! haha!

Dehydrated chicken is good, also sweet potato! I like those! hehehe

·
Registered
945 Posts
Frodo doesn't like standard cheese, but he'll do anything for a piece of Spanish Manchego! He's such a pretentious little dog....

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
We tried the treat thing for awhile, but all 4 of my pups had HGE. This was about 3 years ago. After that, treats scare me. My boy has IBD after all of that, and they all have sensitive tummies, so we play it safe with simple. :) I'm a terrible Chi Mama. ;) :lol:
I hear ya, i have to watch Vito's tummy too! I was only funnin with ya...bad mommy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone - great suggestions!! I think I'll try some chicken and tuna to begin with and when I get chance will get the dehydrator out of the loft - thank goodness I didn't ebay it, lol. Jerky style treats would be great as obviously I couldn't leave bits of meat or fish hanging around the house :-/ especially in this weather!! I could keep a little stash by the back door so I'm always ready for wee and poo rewards, lol

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Dehydrated chicken is like crack here but it takes some time to make so if you don't have time to make treats u can always buy soft ones from pet stores like PETsMART and petco. They have a variety of them. Since ur baby is 9 weeks u should go for tiny ones. My little one loves the little stars treats or the zukes soft chews :) we also get a monthly surprise of treats and such from subscription box like pawalla :) I even have a coupon for 6.50 off ur first box if ur interested in getting if ur in the u.s

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dehydrated chicken is like crack here but it takes some time to make so if you don't have time to make treats u can always buy soft ones from pet stores like PETsMART and petco. They have a variety of them. Since ur baby is 9 weeks u should go for tiny ones. My little one loves the little stars treats or the zukes soft chews :) we also get a monthly surprise of treats and such from subscription box like pawalla :) I even have a coupon for 6.50 off ur first box if ur interested in getting if ur in the u.s
Bummer, I'm in the UK!! You guys seems to have loads more choice :( For the chicken I was thinking of slicing as thin as possible, dehydrating and then cutting it up into little pieces? I wonder what organ meats would be like? I might have to do some experiments ;)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
If you have a dehydrator, go nuts with meats! Liver and lung dehydrate really well. Some dogs like dehydrated sweet potato, mango etc, but I prefer to avoid fruits and veg.
If you want something you can buy, ours go loopy for ZiwiPeak, and I also buy the Applaws cat treats that are just semi dried meat or fish.
All of these are suitable training treats. If you want longer lasting chews try trachea rings, tripe sticks, bully sticks, (pizzle) paddywack, hooves or antlers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts