Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reggie is 20 weeks & so far he's learnt.......
Sit
Stay
Give paw
Spin
Beg on his back legs
Lay down
Fetch
Any other tricks to learn him?hes like a sponge!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think you are missing a couple of important ones like for example: LEAVE IT/DROP IT, COME, OFF, HEEL (if you haven't teach him that already).
I love teaching my dogs tricks, it's really fun but commands are also very important, some more than others.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I think you are missing a couple of important ones like for example: LEAVE IT/DROP IT, COME, OFF, HEEL (if you haven't teach him that already).
I love teaching my dogs tricks, it's really fun but commands are also very important, some more than others.
I was going to suggest the same thing. Leave it and wait (heel) are the most useful and are saftey commands too.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Besides the ones u mentioned Ninja

Roll over
Wave
Sit pretty
Shoot the gun and he falls over
Walks on 2 back feet across the room
Give me 5
Cut the pickle
Give me props
Pinky swear
Ummmmmm he does sooo many

My guy is a fast learner like yours the possibilies are endless have fun we do our tricks everyday to keep them up

My little Maiya can sit, lay down, give 5 and wave. We're working on more.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I ment tricks as opposed to commands. He already does most commands. Just a few that need work.
Oh, sorry, I assumed you meant commands as I saw "sit" and "stay" in there. Hmmm..how about dance? We chant "Dance Kalisee, Dance" (in Greek) and she stands up and wiggles like Shakira, its cute. All we do is hold our hand above her and she does it right away.

We hide something, like her toy and ask her to find it. Its really fun and she always finds it wherever we hide it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Besides the ones u mentioned Ninja

Roll over
Wave
Sit pretty
Shoot the gun and he falls over
Walks on 2 back feet across the room
Give me 5
Cut the pickle
Give me props
Pinky swear
Ummmmmm he does sooo many

My guy is a fast learner like yours the possibilies are endless have fun we do our tricks everyday to keep them up

My little Maiya can sit, lay down, give 5 and wave. We're working on more.
Aww wave and sit pretty!!! Would love to see pics of those!! Infact all those what you said are pretty awesome!!! I'm jealous!xxx

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, sorry, I assumed you meant commands as I saw "sit" and "stay" in there. Hmmm..how about dance? We chant "Dance Kalisee, Dance" (in Greek) and she stands up and wiggles like Shakira, its cute. All we do is hold our hand above her and she does it right away.

We hide something, like her toy and ask her to find it. Its really fun and she always finds it wherever we hide it.
My fault...iv always thought mine to sit for treats...stay is defo a command.
Iv seen the dancing chi's on you tube!! Soooooo cute!!! Awwww!!xx

·
Registered
209 Posts
George, almost one year, knows:

Sit
Down
Stay
Circle (left or right but needs a cue)
Jump
Roll over
Leave it/drop it
NO!
Go lay down
Go kennel
Go tee-tee (yes, on command)
Go poo-poo (again, on command if there's any)
Get in the car
Come here (mostly)
Lets go to bed/go to bed/get in bed/time for bed

Some of these aren't tricks as much as they are verbal cues. But I think they count b/c he's had to learn them all the same. And I'm proud that he knows so much :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
We've had Ponyo for 2 months now and she knows:

Sit
Stay
Wait
Down
Wave
High Five
Shake
Spin Around
Load Up (in the car)
Leave it
NO
C'mere (come)
Heel

... we saw Misa Misa on YouTube, and we were AMAZED! I can't decide what to teach her next! They ARE like little sponges! I've had many breeds (Bassets, Aussies, Rotties, Labs) but never have I seen an eagerness and intelligence that I see in Ponyo. Chihuahuas are amazing!

Anyone have any fun little trick videos to share? Misa Misa's videos are her showing off, not methods. I would love Ponyo to learn Hand Stands or carrying things around...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Douglas is a working dog. He does not know many tricks but knows a number of valuable working commands-

Sit
Down
Stay (wait)
Leave it
Drop it
Take it
Up (which has multiple meanings)
Heel
Watch me
Interrupt
Go Potty
Get dressed

Just to name a couple. He's very intelligent and loves to do these things. He does know Gimme a Kiss for a "trick" command.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ok, I'm starting to panic now. Lily is 8 months and she's struggling with the basics.

She will sit and lie down on command but as soon at you give her the treat she's straight back up again. She will give her paw. She does stay but not for very long and she's learning to leave it at the moment and does it very well with the treat but I haven't actually put it into practice yet. She mostly comes when I call her and shes just about mastered up and off but as for actual tricks I wouldn't even know where to start. HELP!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Basics first. Tricks later.

You need to make sure she stays in the position until you give a cue. First start by saying the cue when she instinctively stands and then say "Good".

Eventually, give her a cue to sit or down. Then no release command. If she stands up, say "Aht." or give another correction sound. When she returns to the desired position, tell her she is good, then give the release and reward the release. You can give treats while she is in position also as long as she does not stand for them (otherwise you reward the opposite of what you want)

For us the release is "All done" or "Up" depending on what was being done. Just choose one for now though.

Try not to be impatient. She is a youngster still. It will come with time and practice. Many dogs cannot do basics but can do tricks- someday you can brag that yours does BOTH. And then the frustration of training will be worth it. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Basics first. Tricks later.

You need to make sure she stays in the position until you give a cue. First start by saying the cue when she instinctively stands and then say "Good".

Eventually, give her a cue to sit or down. Then no release command. If she stands up, say "Aht." or give another correction sound. When she returns to the desired position, tell her she is good, then give the release and reward the release. You can give treats while she is in position also as long as she does not stand for them (otherwise you reward the opposite of what you want)

For us the release is "All done" or "Up" depending on what was being done. Just choose one for now though.

Try not to be impatient. She is a youngster still. It will come with time and practice. Many dogs cannot do basics but can do tricks- someday you can brag that yours does BOTH. And then the frustration of training will be worth it. :)
Thanks, this is all really helpful. I just completely freaked out when I saw all these long lists. I've read a million books but I think I need to take her to some classes.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Classes are good too.

Try not to worry. Everywhere there will be someone with a dog who is supposedly better, prettier, or smarter than your dog. My dog is a service dog and he doesn't do tricks. He just does work stuff.

Appreciate your girl for what she is. She's your dog. And in your eyes she'll always be the best!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts