Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
We use Heartgard Plus, just because that's what our vet supplies. But I've heard Interceptor is good. I think a lot of people perfer that one if that have tiny dogs because Heartgard's smallest pill is "up to 25 pounds".

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We use Heartgard Plus, just because that's what our vet supplies. But I've heard Interceptor is good. I think a lot of people perfer that one if that have tiny dogs because Heartgard's smallest pill is "up to 25 pounds".
That is what my vet said. He said that in since she is just over 2 lbs, he wants her on Interceptor because they have the brown kind whici is 2-10 lbs. I was just curious! Haha

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I use heartgard plus...I guess in some of the eastern states it is not as effective but in CO it works just fine. Although I like that interceptor has one for dogs up to 10 lbs, mine are on the one for dogs up to 25 lbs and I mean, its poison they are being given,...that makes me nervous!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use heartgard plus...I guess in some of the eastern states it is not as effective but in CO it works just fine. Although I like that interceptor has one for dogs up to 10 lbs, mine are on the one for dogs up to 25 lbs and I mean, its poison they are being given,...that makes me nervous!
Exactly! That's why I was asking..It makes me a little paranoid! Especially with their size!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
We use Heartguard Plus and have used it for many years.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Interceptor 2 to 10 lbs. for all 4 of mine. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
This is another area that is getting a good, hard second look by dog experts. Many people feel that it is unnecessary to give an insecticide (poison) every month to our dogs in the remote chance that they will get infected with heartworm.

While heartworm does occur, it is usually in immunocompromised pets and outdoor dogs in areas that are highly infected with mosquitos.

For heartworms to develop in the mosquito, the temperature MUST be 57 or above day and night for 30 days. If you live in a hot part of the country, then this is a concern. But many of us don't live in areas where this type of heat occurs on a monthly basis.

Here's a couple websites that explains the heartworm cycle ... and the risks and benefits of monthly treatments.

http://www.blakkatz.com/spellcast/HW.pdf

http://www.thewholedog.org/heartworm.html

It has also been proven that heartworm preventative stays in the system for 45 days, NOT 30 days. So it can safely be given every month and half, not monthly. It is labeled for monthly use because the pharmaceutical and veterinary industries decided that people would probably forget to administer it if it was labeled for 45 day use.

I am NOT saying to NOT give heartworm preventative. It is something you will have to decide for yourself. But with all the studies coming out on the likelihood of it occurring in healthy dogs, it certainly deserves a good hard look and weighing the risks and benefits.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
lol brodysmom u and ur long posts! hehe. dexter was on sentinel ever since he was a pup and this month i recently changed him to interceptor. i suppose sentinel worked wonders since he came out clean this fecal test and heartworm test but it was too pricey for me. sentinel was $60 and interceptor is now $20...saves me a whopping $40, i just hope it works as great as people said it does, my backyard is a mosquito fest during the summer, along with the scary looking skeeters which are harmful.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Faith is on Interceptor at the moment but I just bought a 12 month supply of Iverhart Plus for both her and Glory. While I do much prefer the smaller dose of Interceptor, with my three dogs and 4 boxes of heartworm prevention right now I went with the cheaper option. It certainly is better than no protection at all.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
This is another area that is getting a good, hard second look by dog experts. Many people feel that it is unnecessary to give an insecticide (poison) every month to our dogs in the remote chance that they will get infected with heartworm.

While heartworm does occur, it is usually in immunocompromised pets and outdoor dogs in areas that are highly infected with mosquitos.

For heartworms to develop in the mosquito, the temperature MUST be 57 or above day and night for 30 days. If you live in a hot part of the country, then this is a concern. But many of us don't live in areas where this type of heat occurs on a monthly basis.

Here's a couple websites that explains the heartworm cycle ... and the risks and benefits of monthly treatments.

http://www.blakkatz.com/spellcast/HW.pdf

http://www.thewholedog.org/heartworm.html

It has also been proven that heartworm preventative stays in the system for 45 days, NOT 30 days. So it can safely be given every month and half, not monthly. It is labeled for monthly use because the pharmaceutical and veterinary industries decided that people would probably forget to administer it if it was labeled for 45 day use.

I am NOT saying to NOT give heartworm preventative. It is something you will have to decide for yourself. But with all the studies coming out on the likelihood of it occurring in healthy dogs, it certainly deserves a good hard look and weighing the risks and benefits.
Thank you for posting this Brodysmom! I remembered afterwards that I had read it somewhere, and this year, since we weren't on the road, I decided to not use the flea treatment or Heartgard since about October, and haven't yet, probably not til May. But that's very helpful info, thanks again!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
We use Sentinel.
http://www.sentinelpet.com/product_page.html
I like that it has a separate size just for 2-11lb pets. I feel better knowing I'm not giving my 4lb dog a dosage appropriate for a 25lb'er, since most companies advice not splitting pills due to the fact that it's not mixed/dispersed perfectly and there's no way to say if it actual divided the drug itself in half.
It protects against heartworm preventative as well as flea infestations. Same company that makes Interceptor.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, had heard that it was "poison" pretty much that you were giving your dog, but then again..it does worry me that my luck, Bella will get something. I gave her her first Interceptor pill today and that little booger would not take it! So I had to mix it with a bit of peanut butter.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't use anything for Moochi and I live in Southern California. The best prevention for heartworm is to build up her immune system. Like Brody'sMom says, pets that get heartworms are the ones that are compromised.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I use Revolution and have for years on my dogs. While they have been on it I have never seen a flea. They have not gotten worms or earmites. We have to worry about heartworms here in Georgia. And fleas are terrible here. If they are not on heartworm meds it is extremely likely they will get infected even if they are indoor dogs.

What is Revolution?

Revolution is a safe and simple monthly topical medication used to protect your pet from heartworms, fleas, and ear mites. It also protects dogs from ticks and sarcoptic mange and cats from roundworms and hookworms. Revolution requires a prescription from your veterinarian.

I get the Revolution for puppies for Quigley. It's easy to use and I do not have to worry about using 2 different product for Heart worm and fleas.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use Revolution and have for years on my dogs. While they have been on it I have never seen a flea. They have not gotten worms or earmites. We have to worry about heartworms here in Georgia. And fleas are terrible here. If they are not on heartworm meds it is extremely likely they will get infected even if they are indoor dogs.

What is Revolution?

Revolution is a safe and simple monthly topical medication used to protect your pet from heartworms, fleas, and ear mites. It also protects dogs from ticks and sarcoptic mange and cats from roundworms and hookworms. Revolution requires a prescription from your veterinarian.

I get the Revolution for puppies for Quigley. It's easy to use and I do not have to worry about using 2 different product for Heart worm and fleas.
Is it like a cream or a gel?? I have never heard of it, but if it is a safer option I would consider it.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
It's a topical solution that goes between the shoulder blades. :)

I already posted but should have mentioned that I only use HW meds once every 45 days, year round. Here in Texas it is very hot, and we have many mosquitoes. It doesn’t matter if the infected mosquito is outside or inside. Mosquitoes do come in your home when you open the door. I posted a thread a longggggg time ago about how Vets try to make you think it's necessary to give the meds every 30 days. Can't remember the title of the thread. Heartworm med scam or something like that. It's best to read the entire life cycle of the HW, then you'll better understand why every 30 days isn't necessary. However, the med companies do not guarantee their meds unless you use it as directed. I always urge everyone to read as much info. as they can about HW‘s, and the meds. This way you are making an educated decision as to how to use them. It’s always an “at your own risk,” choice.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Interceptor, brown package, 2-10 lbs, and I am stretching it out to 40 to 45 days as well.
Why give 12 doses a year when 8 will work?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use heartguard, but I am planning on talking to my vet next time I am in about Interceptor. I always found it strange that my little 6 pound chi needed that much medicine!! Although, here in Florida we have those killer skeeters :-o

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a topical solution that goes between the shoulder blades. :)

I already posted but should have mentioned that I only use HW meds once every 45 days, year round. Here in Texas it is very hot, and we have many mosquitoes. It doesn’t matter if the infected mosquito is outside or inside. Mosquitoes do come in your home when you open the door. I posted a thread a longggggg time ago about how Vets try to make you think it's necessary to give the meds every 30 days. Can't remember the title of the thread. Heartworm med scam or something like that. It's best to read the entire life cycle of the HW, then you'll better understand why every 30 days isn't necessary. However, the med companies do not guarantee their meds unless you use it as directed. I always urge everyone to read as much info. as they can about HW‘s, and the meds. This way you are making an educated decision as to how to use them. It’s always an “at your own risk,” choice.
Interceptor, brown package, 2-10 lbs, and I am stretching it out to 40 to 45 days as well.
Why give 12 doses a year when 8 will work?
Okay, thanks for the info:) I will have to let my mom know this as well:):)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts