Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My puppy is 15 weeks old and weighs 3lb, what do you think he will weigh as an adult?

Im interested as he weighed around 2.5lb at 10 weeks and now he seemed to of stopped growing lol.

He is very healthy and eats very well.

At what age will he reach his adult weight?

Many Thanks :):):)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Mine did the same. They grew and then stopped for several weeks. They have done it a few times. Somehow I expected a steady climb but learned here that they all grow differently. They are not grown up yet (just 9.5 months and 10 months) so I cannot answer from my own experience but have gotten answers like 18-24 months when I asked. So far, the chart has been accurate for us.
My girls weighed 3 lbs. at 6 months and then did not gain much until recently. When they were weighed a couple of weeks ago, they each weighed about 3 3/4 pounds. Given their pattern, I would say another jump in weight is coming!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Their structure height & length is generally complete by 8mo & after that they tend to just fill out. Every Chi is different of course though & that will vary from one to another. They can continue to fill out until 24mo depending on their genetics (some lines mature faster than others).

As for predicting weight--that is a touchy subject as there is no way to tell 100% what your pup will be at their adult weight. Following the chart has worked for some & been way off for others. For us it's worked quite accurately. You obviously have to take adult body condition into consideration as well. If your adult dog is 2lbs over weight (which is actually easy for them to "hide" believe it or not!) that would put the chart way off in predicting adult weight in most cases.

Some do "plateau" in weight a few weeks or even a month or more but they will catch up & continue to grow eventually. As long as your pup is eating & acting normally it's nothing to be concerned about.

Take a peek at the weight chart posted--I always enjoy peeking at it from time to time when I have a pup to see if they're following the same "curb" as in previous weeks. If nothing else it's just fun to see & "guess" what their weight will be as an adult. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts