Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jazz is badly in need of a dental. Her breath smells, I can see the buildup on her teeth, and she has 2 retained baby teeth which need to be removed. She will also occasionally paw at her mouth which is NOT a good sign and has me worried.

But Tango also needs his yearly exam, bloodwork, fecal, shots, etc. Because of the expense of my daughter's recent wedding, an unplanned, expensive car issue, and a dental emergency, I don't have the money currently for both visits. Jazz's dental is going to cost between $300 - $350 as long as they don't have to do any other extractions, and I get a mini blood panel done instead of a full one. Tango's exam and shots won't cost as much as Jazz's dental, but still, I'm looking at more than I can afford to get both of them taken care of right now.

I'm thinking that Jazz's dental is the more urgent issue given the symptoms. If Tango goes an extra 1 - 2 months before his shots and exam I don't think that's going to be as bad as putting off Jazz's dental for the same amount of time. The Vet advised a dental 6 months ago, (it wasn't urgent, just indicated) but for a variety of reasons (one of them financial) I didn't get it done then. Now I'm wishing I had :(

I'm also thinking I might be able to squeeze enough money out of the budget to at least get Tango's shots and hold off on all the other stuff, but honestly, it's all the other stuff that I'd prefer he get than the shots!

What would you do?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think you have the right thought -- it sounds like Jazz's issue is more pressing, and even painful or uncomfortable for her. Waiting an extra month or two for routine care isn't a big deal IMO, as long as you aren't planning to wait a year! Their shots are good for much longer than they say, so it isn't like he won't be covered.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
How often do you vaccinations? If you do them yearly, skipping a year will be fine or if it makes you nervous just get them as soon as you can afford them. I titer every 3 yrs myself and do not do yearly vaccinations. The only one that would be urgent would be the rabies as it is the law.

I would opt for the dental first esp. if her is in discomfort ;-)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
It's clear to me! Do the dental and definitely skip the yearly exam and shots for Tango! Vaccinations have been proven to last FAR longer than they say. Some studies are showing lifetime immunity. There's NO reason to give yearly shots and even 3 years is a stretch.

Take care of Jazz's sore mouth and put the rest on hold.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Jazz first definitely! The rest can be put on hold.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yep. Agree with the others. Also, is there a clinic at your humane society that might have discounted vaccines? Just a thought. Hope the teeth aren't too bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree too! Dental work is much more important than yearly vaccines (especially if you are planning on doing them in 2-3 months time anyway). Dental work that is needed now will only worsen with time. So it is very important to get that done. Your vet wont look at you funny. They totally understand.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I too agree with everyone else. I would get the dental done now and wait on your other dog until you have the money.

·
Registered
410 Posts
i agree, Jazz needs the dental work because it is clear that she is in pain and Tango's shots can be skipped until next year or whenever you have enough money.
:)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I agree with everyone. Jazz's mouth will just to continue to get worse and cause her more discomfort. An unhealthy mouth can lead to other health problems for dogs and cats too. Putting off Tango's exam for a few months is no big deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts