Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you know the story of how sick Corky was when we got him and how we almost lost him to Giardia and Coccidia because the pet store did not take care of him, etc. We paid $250.00 for him and put about $400.00 in vet bills within 5 days of getting him.

I have contacted the pet store about that and they basically said bring him back and we will refund your money. Of course I am not going to do that!!

Yesterday when we took him in for his boosters, we were told that he is not growing height-wise like a full chi. I noticed this too - he is filling out length-wise and belly-wise but he has short little stocky legs. The vet says he is probably part Chi and part dachsund and that because of that his ears will probably never stand.

While I love Corky no matter what breed(s) he is, whether his ears stand up or not, etc. but paying $250.00 for what we thought was a full chi, to get a sick chi, etc. I feel just feel like this pet store is more crooked that we first thought. We didn't buy him to breed him or anything, he is just our baby but what if we had wanted to do that.....

I was thinking about a complaint to the BBB. I feel like that pet store at mimimum owes us our money that we paid for him just because of how sick they had let him get there.

What do you think or what would you do? Or should I just leave it alone.

·
Registered
403 Posts
as long as you have all the records showing that he was sick upon coming home from the petstore i see no reason why you shouldn't file a complaint..I WOULD! and if its a SMALL petstore NOT like petco or petsmart i'd take the owner to small claims court. atleast thats what i would do.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have contacted the pet store about that and they basically said bring him back and we will refund your money.
That's exactly how they wiggle out of paying vet bills. Most people are already attached and couldn't take them back. To me, at least in FL and VA, it's very rare to get a full Chi at a pet store for $250. From a breeder, possibly, but not from a pet store. Did you sign any contracts with the pet store? What would you report to the BBB? It sounds like the only thing you can complain about it that he's not what you purchased, i.e. a full bred Chi, that is if your vet is absolutely positive he's not a full Chi. The pet store I would think would have records on where he came from. Unfortunately for a legal standpoint, pets are considered "property". If you were to go the BBB or court for the vet bills, the judge would say that you return the "property" and you'll get a "new" one so to speak. You wouldn't go to a store, buy a shirt, come home and realize it had a bad stitch in it and expect the store to let you keep the bad shirt and get a new one. I have learned one thing though, word of mouth is VERY powerful. Be sure to tell your friends and even strangers about your situation with the pet store and let the pet store know that if they don't want to at least give you half back for the vet bills then you'll just tell your friends and family the problem you experienced with the pet store. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm so glad to hear that Corky is doing fine now. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
You should at the least file a formal complaint. They should have paid for the vet bills. Was there any type of guarantee when you bought the puppy? I wouldn't just leave it alone. Marcus got sick a week after we got him and the store paid the vet bills. I don't know the laws in your state but there sounds like some grounds for you to sue them.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
unless you can prove beyond a doubt that its not a full chi (rember pet store pups are 99% likely to be mill pups, and because of that a full chi can be born with all sorts of defects such as to long legs, too short legs bobbed tail, floppy ears ect.) then there not much you cna do about the whole not getting what you paid for (especially since a petstore witll usually charge upwards of 800 for a purebred puppy) you should have been given a copy of the paperwork you filled out and sighned as it will tlel you your rights...if there warrenty says that a sick pup must be returned for replacement or refund than unfortunatly you havent got a leg to stand on...

sucks i know...but its one of the MANY reasons to never buy a pup from a petstore. you not only NEVER know what your getting in the ways of health and pegigree, but theyll usually take you for every penny

however if the puppy was sick in the store file a complaint about store conditions, try and go in with a small camera and get some pictures of any undesirable conditions or puppies that look sick. you should file it WITH the store AND with your local agriculture board. (if you complain theyll usually start spot checking the store...) the best thing we can do to stop things like this happening is to NOT but puppies from petstores...this comming from someone whos worked in a petstore that sold puppies.
there were so many sick puppies in back, and once they seemed remotly even close to healthy they were sold (a pom with a constant cough/kennel cough) knee problmes, heart defects and a poor little chi i fell in love with that died of pheumonia because the vet they used said it was a cold and that she was fine to stay in the kennel (she was UBER tiny and would have weighted less than 2lbs full grown and being sold as an ultra rare "tiny teacup" for 7,000) she passed away in my home when i managed to talk the vet into telling the manager it woudl be better for her to stay with me for ahwiel instead of the back room with all the other sick pups...)
i have MANY petstore horror stories unfortunatly...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think if anyone is selling a 'chi' at 250 dollars you should start asking questons. I doubt that anyone would sell a chi for that small amount of money unless he was sick or a mix breed of dogs. Why sell for that cheep when people are willing to pay more? Atleast that is my opinion.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
When you buy a dog from a pet store it's as much of a crap shoot as adopting a rescue dog. Why? Because they probably come from the same place... a puppy mill. I have no idea what your legal options are but I wouldn't expect much in the way of compensation. Just my opinion.
I think my post sounded cold and I didn't mean it that way at all. I still don't think you'll get much compensation but I do feel bad for you. :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
I didn't see where you had answered the paperwork question. Is there some sort of clause on there saying that you are buying the pup "as is"?

I would definitely look into small claims court. You could go to your vet and get a written statement from them saying how sick your baby was when you got him. I know you don't want to spend a lot of money fighting this battle when you've already paid out so much in vet bills, but I say pay what you can and fight this! If we don't stand up to those type of pet stores, then they will continue to do this!! :angry4:

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
chis

You can get chis for $250.00 and sometimes less from non reputable breeders but I am quite suprised that, that is all you paid for a chi from a pet store. We have pets stores in our area that sell them for around $500.00 in which I still think is pretty cheap for a full breed puppy and if they dont sale after a certain amount of time they start coming down on the price. Usually you get what you pay for though. I learned that the hard way with my 1st Great Dane. He has AKC papers and also has a Heart murmur, wobblers syndrome and is very skiddish. I gave $500.00 for him and I knew that seemed cheap and he is 4 years old now and still costing me money.

You just have to be very careful now days and it does pay to spend more for a puppy that has a reputable breeder that will stand by their pup. I am sure that you puppy ia probbly full chi, I see them in all shapes and sizes. :wave:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses. There was no paperwork when we bought him. We basically went in, picked him out, paid and left. No explanations about warranties or anything. We got a handwritten receipt and were told when he had his first shots and left. They were very busy that day and just hearded us out.

I am just thankful Corky is healthy and happy and growing like a little weed. When it is all said and done I am just happy we rescued him from that awful place and he has a good home now. He is so innocent and sweet that he didn't deserve to be in that awful place.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
That sounds fishy to me... if he's full-blooded chi, there should have been paperwork to prove it, just to protect them from a lawsuit or whatever. And no health guarantee or anything like that... that's fishy as well.

I looked up on the internet resources that you could use to report the pet store and found that you have an Oregon Humane Society that you would report abuse and other violations to. I went to the Oregon Vet Medical Assoc website and found a ton of resources.

I really hope you do something to report these people. Selling you a dog with no paperwork, no "instructions" on feeding, nothing other than a receipt of purhcase is fraudulent, unethical and just plain wrong. They have left themselves open to all kinds of investigation just in your situation alone. There's no telling who they've sold sick dogs that died to with no guarantee, health or money-back.

Good luck... I'm glad your little pup is doing well and on the road to recovery!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Agree

I agree, I didnt realize there were no papers involved. This is strange for a pet shop. Report Them!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
See if there are puppy lemon laws in your state

Just because a company is registered with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) does not mean that you are protected against fraud.

Keep in mind that any company can pay to register with the BBB.

Instead, word of mouth is often the best way to protect yourself against fraud. Before doing business with a company, check around to find out if anyone you know has had a negative experience with the company.
http://respectmyrights.com/consumer_tips.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts