Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we had some friends at the house. One of my friends laid a kleenex on the couch beside her. Paco immediately went for it. (Like most chi's he's loves to tear up kleenex.) Instead of just moving it, she took it upon herself to teach him "leave it". She never picked it up she just kept pushing him away rather roughly and saying NO... LEAVE IT. After a few times of this I picked him up and took him in another room and put a gate up. I was very annoyed but didn't say anything. I didn't want to be rude to a guest but I wouldn't dream of going to someone else's house and decide I should teach them something like that.

Was I too sensitive? It seemed to me like all she had to do was pick up her stupid kleenex and leave my dog alone...lol. Would you have said something? What would you have done?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I have had people do things like this. I would have done the same thing- I don't want other people trying to "train" my dogs. She should have just picked up the Kleenex or asked you to take the dog out of the room if it was such a big deal.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
The pushing him away roughly would have gotten me. grrrr. I still probably would have done what you did before being confrontational. Then when she left did you give Paco a nice, yummy treat and tell him the mean, ole lady went bye bye? lol

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Depends on the frienship status, how long we've been friends, how close we are, if she's more accomplished with animals than I am etc.

ALL of my friends have always revolved around my animals, be it horses, dogs, fish etc. - I will always defer to an equally or more knowledgable, old time close friend, but if she was a Johnnie Come Lately fair-weather friend whose only experience with animals was seeing them on a fashion magazine page, I would've told the cow to back off or leave now! I really struggle being around non-animal people, there's just something about them I can't put a finger on lmao!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I probably would of went and got the tissue and said i will throw that away, since it is my home and my chi's home i would not of removed him into a diffrent area, that was wrong on your companys part not the dogs part . why punish him.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree with everyone, MY HOUSE BACK OFF.Im not afraid to tell you to leave my baby alone, i dont care if your family or freind. Everybody that knows me, knows how i feel about my animals, even my daughter said the other day, she cant tell if i,m speaking to my 11mth old grandson, or my charchi, because i talk to them both the same.lol their both my babies.I can also understand , people saying that they dont get along with people that dont have dogs.when i visit other peoples homes, and they have dogs, I,m all over the dogs, playing and cuddlin them, and the dogs can tell if your a dog person also.No way- don,t be worried about saying anything in your own castle Im afraid i take an dislike to someone thats mean to dogs. I think you can tell a lot about a person if they dont like dogs, dont you?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I feel a little better that you would have been bothered too. I just wouldn't think of telling someone else's dog how to behave when I was in their house!! I thought it was incredibly rude.

Not that it really makes a difference but it was a clean kleenex that she laid out there "in case" she might need it. That is part of the reason I thought she should just put it in her pocket and stop butting in with my dog.

If it happens again, I will be more assertive and say HE lives here. Deal with it!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I think it's very rude to put a tissue on your floor whether you have dogs around or not. I wouldn't put stuff on someone else's floor! She obviously doesn't know much about dogs because she'd know that negative attention is still attention and would only reinforce the behaviour and that any shoving makes the dog think that it is either a game or confrontation, either way they wouldn't learn what she was trying to teach. Not to mention now rude it is to do that without the owners expressed permission. I'd definitely be thinking twice about letting that person back in my house. If I don't know them that we'll I'd make sure the dog was not around when they came over, or if it was a good friend I would have said something. There is never a good reason to treat a well meaning dog roughly.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I really struggle being around non-animal people, there's just something about them I can't put a finger on lmao!
I don't trust people who don't like animals or people that the animals don't like. Dogs are very good judges of character. I had a chihuahua who was very protective after some trauma in her life and when my sister (who is horrible to dogs and everyone hates her) came round she used to bite her ankles and then hide behind the sofa. When she met my OH she came and slept on his feet (she was very wary of new people so this was a big deal!)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Did I miss why she even laid the tissue on the couch to begin with? "In case she might need it?" She could have just held it in her pocket rather than annoy the dog.

If it were me, I probably would laughed it off saying "Oh whats a matter..mean ole..(insert name) won't give you the tissue...?"

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I don't trust people who don't like animals or people that the animals don't like. Dogs are very good judges of character. I had a chihuahua who was very protective after some trauma in her life and when my sister (who is horrible to dogs and everyone hates her) came round she used to bite her ankles and then hide behind the sofa. When she met my OH she came and slept on his feet (she was very wary of new people so this was a big deal!)
That's so true! Odie is an excellent judge of character. The only people she steers clear of also give me the creeps.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Soooo, does she discipline other people's children, too? Disciplining or training someone's dog without their permission is as if it were their child - as far as I'm concerned!

But, I, too would have taken the tissue and say "I'll take care of that for you."

If the friend is a dog trainer, then I would probably welcome the information she has to offer. But, it's kind of like telling you that you don't know how to properly train your dog.

Sorry, I train my dogs and my kids, my way!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I agree with everyone else--she doesn't get to train your dog her way. Having said that, I wish people would stop allowing their big dogs to stick their noses right into your crotch and/or jump all over you. Hello, I didn't come to your house to get assaulted!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I would have told her that he is already trained - trained to pick up used kleenex when people are rude enough to leave them laying around!

Is this friend an animal person??? Seriously, I would not have put him up. I would have thrown away the kleenex, sat down on the couch and put him in my lap so she couldn't do that to him anymore.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.