Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a lot of great chi names, here, and I always love hearing the reasons and stories behind how our pets got their names.

Lyra is named for the main character in the novel The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman. In the book, Lyra is a feisty, blonde girl who is equal parts clever, sweet, bratty, loyal, headstrong and compassionate. It seemed the perfect fit for a little, fawn spitfire chi whose primary goal was being in somebody's lap at all times (and whose secondary goal was letting all the other dogs know there was a new sheriff in town).

So, share! How did your chi get their name?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Honey:
She was already named when I got her as an adult

Izzabella:
I have had this name picked out for 12 years!!
When my daughter was born, we had 2 girls names
chosen, Izzabella & Claudia. We named her Claudia
When my Son Mason was born he would have been
named Izzabella if he was a girl!!
i am not having any more human babies so I decided
to name my baby Chihuahua Izzabella!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
my moms ex bf (who will always be my dad) had a brother named randy who died alittle over a year ago. he also has an uncle named ray that visited us once.

but i came up with the name because i thought it was cute.
when my mom told me she got me a chi for christmas, like 3 days before he came home, she said that sounds like itll fit him. (she had alreadii seen him twice and i never got the chance to).

and once he came home it did fit him and i thought I'd make up a middle name that kinda goes with it. so i thought of Randy Ray(Raymond.)

a week after he was home my dad told me "wow you named him after that family thats nice" and i didnt even relize that i did.
so now the name randy is a wonderful memory of my dads brother that has now joined god and is watching all of the new pups and dogs walk across Rainbow Brigde. :)
Ray is just his uncle that he hasnt seen in 3 years.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
With Reggie, I went through a list of dog names and it just seemed to fit.

Gonzo was named in tribute to Hunter S. Thompson, the father of gonzo journalism. Everyone thinks I named him after the Muppet with the same name.

Xena was named after Xena the Warrior Princess because she's a bit aggressive and a good watch dog.

Lexxi Foxxx was named after the bass player of the band I shoot for. (He's my favorite in the band)

Billy's whole name is Billy Blue Boy because he is a blue fawn color; he was named after the nickname of a character from the show High Chaparral, a tv show I watched as a kid.

Tico is a hispanic name that just seems to suit him.

Smoke got his name because he is the color of smoke.

Twiggy was named that by the shelter when I got her and it really fits. She's quite thin with long legs like twigs.

Pepper was named that because he was sooo active and full of beans when I got him, he's my little pepper pot.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Wanted something unique and cute for my first Chi. I always loved the name Hayley but it was starting to get popular and I didn't like that so I some how got Shayley LOL

Kizzie is truthfully from the movie Roots. I watched the movie for the first time when I was a teenager and one of the woman in the movie was named Kizzy and I always thought it was kinda cute...not for a human but I just liked it! I think Kizzie fits my girl so much though because she's Krazy Kizzie lol.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Lola : her real name is Lola-belle! it just clicked when i saw her! such pretty name 4 a pretty little dog!

Penny: I wanted some thing that matched her size coz she was so tiny! we went thru names like Dinky, Tiny, etc but My bf said what about Penny.. she is like the size of a penny! and that was it! her nick name is "little lady" xx

·
Registered
384 Posts
Billy- My kids chose his name

Pixie- I just really liked the name, she gets called pickle ore than pixie tho.

Mr Darcy- I wanted an 'english' sounding name, sarah helped me choose!

Poppy- I just liked it

Paige- She was already named by her previous owner

short sweet and straight to the point. :) lol.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Daisy - my daughter chose this name - nickname is doo idk why I just called her daisydoo (I sing to them ahahah) and doo and doodoo kinda came out an stuck!

Lotus - I wanted a different name but still a flower and it's suiting her so much Lotus' blossom in mud I'm hoping she is going to blossom out of mud very soon haha! nickname Lottie, yotus

They both answer to puppy too or if I should cheeewarwar

Rache you're girls have a p theme :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
some of my animals names have meanings others just suit lol , i have a theme going on with places though lol , i have 2 bunnies one called Alaska and the other Malibu one of my dogs is Cisco .
i have a cat called Mau - because he meowed all the time ,
and another cat called Ally - found in a scrap metal yard so Ally for Aluminum .
all my other pets are just because i like the sound of them :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Tallie, my baby chi is the one who has a name with real meaning behind it.
Some of you will remember last summer when she was born, We lost all the other puppys, and I really thought I was going to lose her too. But with much prayer, she survived. One night she even had the little death cry going but God was good to let me have one baby. She is named Talitha which comes from the bible, in the story where Jesus brought a little girl back to life. Tallie is my little miracle baby. and I am very thankful for her.
Sassy was already named when I got her and
Chloe I named, I just thought it was really pretty and sweet sounding jusst like she is.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lavender was already named when I got her and I was going to change her name, but decided it fit her. Lavender came to live with me and my Bichon boy from a rescue group after I lost my Bichon girl. We needed a sweet little girl dog to help us get over the loss. Lavender flowers are supposed to be calming and soothing and my sweet little Lavender Chi is exactly that. She's also full of life and fun and she is a welcome ray of sunshine at our house.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody is Brody ... because ... I liked the name. No other reason. I am lame. HA HA! :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
We've got a lot of great chi names, here, and I always love hearing the reasons and stories behind how our pets got their names.

Lyra is named for the main character in the novel The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman. In the book, Lyra is a feisty, blonde girl who is equal parts clever, sweet, bratty, loyal, headstrong and compassionate. It seemed the perfect fit for a little, fawn spitfire chi whose primary goal was being in somebody's lap at all times (and whose secondary goal was letting all the other dogs know there was a new sheriff in town).

So, share! How did your chi get their name?
Lyra, I love it! I am just reading His Dark Materials at the moment, Just about to start the Amber Spyglass. Love the Name. My Oldest Feodore is named after the Russian author Fyodor Dostoevsky. My other is Napoleon, which doesn't really have a story behind it, my boyfriend named him. I've already decided my next will be Sinbad if its a dog (after Sinbad the sailor- from the Arabian Knights tales), and Kendal if it's a bitch, after the place name, (because I made a wish in a wishing well for a chihuahua in Kendal in the lake district, and a few months later, my boyfriend bought me one and made my wish come true :)

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
Ruby was named when i got her as she was older we decided to keep it

Twig, was being called Dixie but the lady i got her from said she didnt ever respond to it only the names of the other 2 puppies that she had, one of them was called Twiglet we thought it was cute and decided to call her that - we mainly call her T or Twig now among her other thousands of nick names lol

Bentley - i had a huge list of boys names and my fiance only liked 2 so we decided to wait and bring him home before we decided for definite on his name, all the pups in his litter were named after cars so its kind of in keeping with that too

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Brody is Brody ... because ... I liked the name. No other reason. I am lame. HA HA! :)
Lol! Tracy! I couldn't imagine any other name for Brody. It fits him perfectly. :)

Lola I named simply because I just loved the name. When we decided to get another girl chi I wanted to name her something that started with an "L" so we came up with Lily. Keeping with the 2 L theme we named our third chi Lila. :) I really think they have such pretty names.

Maxx was named after a picture I saw of a beautiful long coat blue and white chi.

If I ever get another girl chi her name will be Lulu, Lilo, or Lela. I can't decide. ;)
If it's a boy than his name will be Jaxx.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Truly Apple- I wanted a pretty and unique name, thus Truly for her first name.
For her middle name Apple i got from Gwyneth Paltrow' daughter.

Noah Sebastian- He immediately looked like a Sebastian when i first got him and i have always loved that name. But my Fiance didn't think Sebastian suited him so he suggested Noah. I love the name Noah too, so we settled on Noah Sebastian.

Quinton Rampage- Was a name chosen by my Fiance after the UFC fighter Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. Because he is unrelentless in his play fighting!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Zippy got his name from the shelter that he was in. He had to spend about three weeks in quarantine with kennel cough between the time that we signed the intent-to-adopt papers and when he was actually able to go home with us. We kept going over to visit him every couple of days, though, and he was of course the main topic of our conversations during that waiting period. So, by the time he was able to come home, we had been talking about "Zippy, Zippy, Zippy!" so much that it would have been totally weird to try to call him anything else. Zippy he was and Zippy he will always be.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Reese- named by the shelter b/c his coloring reminded them of a peanut butter cup. Jax- Brad will tell you he got his name from a scifi show but really...any general hospital fans out there?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts