Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Tillie is great, gentle and loving. Fine with me and the dogs, Lola plays with her all the time.

But come bed time she changes! My dogs have always slept on my bed. The problem is if Cookie or Lola move about on the bed like go to a different spot Tillie launches herself at them snapping really visciously! This scares Lola off the bed and Cookie tries to fight Tillie and then ends up shaking while I comfort him.

I tell her off but when I out her down she just leaps straight back on the bed. I was thinking mmaybe I should put her outside my room for a bit when she does this. Then let her back in after a bit?

Tillie is perfect in the day, it's just this thing at night. I want them all on the bed.

What do you suggest to break this behaviour? I thought about keeping her off my bed in her own bed but she just gets back on my bed.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
My cat Zac sometimes sleeps at the bottom of my bed, and fpr a while when he first got on the girls would go nuts.
I dont think they liked the sudden movement plus i do think they are being protective of me too.
Maybe Tillie is thnkin that way too?
I would put her off the bed like you do, and keep her out or maybe in a crate next to the bed, just for a wee while.
Make her earn being on the bed.

I have taken mine off when they have done that and now it is getting better, they just sleep under the covers and Zac comes and goes.
They love being on my bed so the thoght of not getting that makes them behave better. lol

I find that talking to them and keeping them calm while it's happening helps too.
Sometimes they just dont like being disturbed.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Marie, I have to agree with a crate near the bed. At least for a while.
You may consider crating Lollie too; and reserve the bed for Cookie. He
sounds like he is trying to assert himself, but it is hard on his health. Let
him be the King of the bed. The other two can rule the garden and other areas.
Just an idea... :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm going to have a bit of a different approach here. IMO - if a dog doesn't have the chance to "mess up" & be corrected...it will never learn. While crating will keep the peace...come next time you bring her in bed, chances are she'll do the same thing. I agree with Deme...she is playing alpha over everyone including you. You need to become her alpha & she realizes you will NOT tolerate it, the behavior will settle down.

Here is what I would do: Head to bed a bit earlier than usual. Don't allow anyone up on the bed until they are invited. Have them "sit" by the bed & "wait". Once they have accomplished this you can invite them up. Every time Tillie displays any aggressive behavior (even the smallest growl or even just a "glare" (watch for her cues), give a firm "ah ah!!" & if she ignores you & it progresses repeate & put her on the floor. If she tries to get back up...you NEED to stop her before she does. When you see her starting to hop this is when you need to intervene. Keep your eyes on her & watch her body language. Everytime she tries move toward her, point & say "DOWN". If you say it like you mean it...and believe it yourself...it will work! Sometimes it takes a bit of sterness in the beginning for them to realize you mean business...but you can't allow her back up on the bed until she is invited. Until she has stopped the behavior...have her sleep in the crate so it doesn't upset everyone else. But you definitely need to work with her in the situation or else she won't know what she's doing wrong.

I think once she realizes it is YOUR bed she will be fine. I know a lot of trainers/behaviorists say allowing them to share a bed with you is the highest of privilage for them. So it shouldn't be taken lightly & it definitely needs to be earned. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to have a bit of a different approach here. IMO - if a dog doesn't have the chance to "mess up" & be corrected...it will never learn. While crating will keep the peace...come next time you bring her in bed, chances are she'll do the same thing. I agree with Deme...she is playing alpha over everyone including you. You need to become her alpha & she realizes you will NOT tolerate it, the behavior will settle down.

Here is what I would do: Head to bed a bit earlier than usual. Don't allow anyone up on the bed until they are invited. Have them "sit" by the bed & "wait". Once they have accomplished this you can invite them up. Every time Tillie displays any aggressive behavior (even the smallest growl or even just a "glare" (watch for her cues), give a firm "ah ah!!" & if she ignores you & it progresses repeate & put her on the floor. If she tries to get back up...you NEED to stop her before she does. When you see her starting to hop this is when you need to intervene. Keep your eyes on her & watch her body language. Everytime she tries move toward her, point & say "DOWN". If you say it like you mean it...and believe it yourself...it will work! Sometimes it takes a bit of sterness in the beginning for them to realize you mean business...but you can't allow her back up on the bed until she is invited. Until she has stopped the behavior...have her sleep in the crate so it doesn't upset everyone else. But you definitely need to work with her in the situation or else she won't know what she's doing wrong.

I think once she realizes it is YOUR bed she will be fine. I know a lot of trainers/behaviorists say allowing them to share a bed with you is the highest of privilage for them. So it shouldn't be taken lightly & it definitely needs to be earned. Good luck!!
Thanks heather I'll try this. I want the all on the bed with me happily. I'm going to be firm with her tonight.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Heathers advice is spot on, I know I said a crate was a good idea but its something I have not used for discipline, all I do is enforce unwanted behaviour with a stern "NO"

The crate for me would be a last option after I'd exhausted every thing else.

I think its cute that these little dogs have such big personnalities but we baby them a bit too much and then they get cheeky. So a reminder of who is alpha now and then needs to be practised.

Hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heathers advice is spot on, I know I said a crate was a good idea but its something I have not used for discipline, all I do is enforce unwanted behaviour with a stern "NO"

The crate for me would be a last option after I'd exhausted every thing else.

I think its cute that these little dogs have such big personnalities but we baby them a bit too much and then they get cheeky. So a reminder of who is alpha now and then needs to be practised.

Hope you get it sorted
Cookie and Lola are fine. I don't baby Tillie I only got her a week ago!! I haven't had much chance to train her

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My dogs were like this at first, especially with the two cats that sleep with me and Bouncer joining us in the morning when my daughter is off to school. At the first sign of growling they went on the floor. Only two can jump back up, so if they did, they went right back on the floor with a firm no. Now we have no problems, they know my bed is a truce zone, the cats and Bouncer are allowed on the bed with me. It only took about three days for them to learn this as they really want to sleep with me. Good luck, I hope she learns fast and you can have harmony on your bed at night.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dogs were like this at first, especially with the two cats that sleep with me and Bouncer joining us in the morning when my daughter is off to school. At the first sign of growling they went on the floor. Only two can jump back up, so if they did, they went right back on the floor with a firm no. Now we have no problems, they know my bed is a truce zone, the cats and Bouncer are allowed on the bed with me. It only took about three days for them to learn this as they really want to sleep with me. Good luck, I hope she learns fast and you can have harmony on your bed at night.
Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not the only one. She doesn't even growl. She just pounces. She's fine in the day on the bed it's just at night she gets teasy. I'm gonna really be firm with her tonight. She'll be straight off the bed if she does it again.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I was gonna say the same as Heather but she beat me to it.. I've recently uncrated Daisy at bed time so she's in a normal bed in my room the last coiuple of nights she's helped herself onto my bed and has immediately been hoiked off. its taken me 3 times to get her to realise that its MY bed she has her own (which is also mine but i let her sleep there) which she is to sleep in.
It takes time but once she realises its your bed your rules, she isn't allowed on until you say and under no circumstance is she to pounce, growl, snap whatever at anyone on your bed!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts