Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what's going on, the nearest clinic doesn't open till 7am and something is wrong with Godric.

I thought maybe I got water in his ear today during bathtime but I can rub on his head and ears and he's okay.

I'm not even sure what's going on, he yowling like something awful and he's in horrific pain, I can pet on him and he'll be okay, and pet on him a bit later and he's not, I don't want to move him around much as he cries like i'm hurting him.

It just started ~30 minutes ago, he and sister were gently playing, no rough housing, no one bumped heads, no physical problems but something is wrong.

It's not constant cry, but upon being touched, not always in the same place, he yowls a high pitched squeal and trys to get away.

I know he's in teething stage could maybe that be what's making him uncomfortable? I don't know what to do poor guy, he's tired and just wants to sleep but i'm worried :/

Also, I bathed him in an oatmeal/flea shampoo today and I dropped a bit of hamburger earlier when I was browning some meat and he scarfed it before I could get to it, it wasn't a lot but i'm not sure if it was hot or perhaps making his tummy upset. That's all I can think of that's out of the ordinary.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'm not sure...its possible he could have hurt something at some point and just notices it again when pressure is put on it. I have gotten water in my guy's ears several times (by accident), and never had any trouble or signs of pain, they just shook their heads a lot til they got it out :)

Teething normally doesn't make them as uncomfortable as your little guy sounds...I'd take a close look at his paws/paw pads, and in his mouth if he will let you. Maybe something's stuck or maybe a tooth is just dangling and really hurting when he moves certain ways.

If you are really concerned, you might try to get him to an E-vet, but it doesn't sound life threatening and if $$ is an issue waiting til tomorrow morning shouldn't hurt him...let us know what they find out.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hmm he dont sound good, I would suggest the same things flippedstars just did. ALso does he go outside to go to the toilet? Could he have been bitten by something?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No that's why I don't understand it's so strange.

He's been known to be a whiner and over exaggerate but i'm still worried.

We had just finished with dinner and sat on the sofa to watch a movie with the pups, they did a little play while we watched previews and I specifically remember he started yowling very shortly after the movie started. He didn't get off the sofa or anything in between.

He's actually in my lap shaking off and on at the moment which worries me because he's not a shaker, and i'm not expert but he may have a fever. I'm going to call at 7 if there is no change. I can pet all over him but he'll still give a yowl every so often.

His ears keep alternating up and down, he's just so tired I want him to get in his bed but he is glued to me

·
Registered
48 Posts
That sounds almost exactly like what happened to my Westie, Chester about a year ago. It was in the evening, after office hours, plus our Vet had broke her leg earlier that day. I was so worried about Chester so as much as I hated to I called her at home. She said she would meet us at the clinic. Bless her heart! Chester had pulled a muscle in his shoulder. She showed me where to apply heat and sent a few Dermamax tablets home with us for pain. By morning he was fine. If you can figure out where he hurts, try putting heat on it. Hope he will be okay til you can get him to the Vet.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
He could just be teething, Ziva has been screaming off and on, she's teething big time right now. Sebastian my boy was a MEGA drama king when he was teething, if you even looked at him he would scream like you were killing him.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Heather, that makes me feel better. I noticed he's teething earlier because he's got some gaps on the top where the new is breaking in.

I hope it's teeth because I can't see or feel anything wrong with him, that might explain why he's so sleepy too huh? I know Gretel slept like a log when she was teething.

He's settled down, very few cries now but he's known for being a drama king, fingers crossed.

edit - he's the drama king and i'm on here panicing, haha. When I have children my poor mom is going to have to get unlimited long distance!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Yes it could explain the sleepiness as well as the droopy ears (their ears droop when they are teething), they also though will droop if they don't feel good.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All signs point to teething at this point, he's a little warm to the touch, and sleepy but he's up moving again, earlier he was not budging, but I got him out of my lap and he's studying on his sister enjoying her chewy, not enough to wrestle her for it though.

I did get him to drink a bit so I feel better about that. Thanks for keeping me sane :]

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
There was someone a while back with a similar problem & I think it ended up being teething. Some pups are effected differently. I don't think a bit of cooked hamburger would upset his tummy but its a possibility. I'd personally wait it out & see how he does through the night & in the morning & go from there.

I do hope he feels better very soon!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He has been my little troublemaker baby so far.

Gretel was smooth sailing, no problems, not sick ever, not a thing, the only time she ever let me know she didn't feel well was after her rabies shot. And this little guy has had me running to the Dr. so often we're on a first name basis!

I don't mind of course, but it's wild how radically different they are.

It's been a few hours since the first cries, it's obvious he's still down, but better at least.

I know i'm overreacting, but with all the sadness around here lately I can't help but be paranoid :(

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you take him to the vet? What was the problem?
No Tink I didn't take him, he's settled down and the cries have almost all but quit. He's still whining abnormally and sticking to me like glue so I know he's not feeling well, but he doesn't seem to be in danger. I'm almost certain it's teeth.

He also is still having a hard time with his food (that's another thread) so I know that's not making it any better, so - it's a transition for my little guy :( ugh. Just a tough time for him.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I'm so sorry he isn't feeling well. :( I would take him to the Vet just to be sure. You just never know. I hope he is doing much better soon. As for the hamburger meat, it normally takes about 24 hours to notice an upset from something like that. I've never heard of one crying out during teething, but I guess it's possible. Poor fella'.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm so sorry he isn't feeling well. :( I would take him to the Vet just to be sure. You just never know. I hope he is doing much better soon. As for the hamburger meat, it normally takes about 24 hours to notice an upset from something like that. I've never heard of one crying out during teething, but I guess it's possible. Poor fella'.
I will T, i've been keeping my eye on him. Poo excluded he's been almost 100% himself. I spoke with the vet office and they said come in whenever I need so i've been watching him like a hawk for any change. For the most part he's been harassing his sister and tromping around the house like big man on campus, mostly normal.

He is the biggest sissy i've ever seen in my life so in hindsight the crying out doesn't surprise me, but I will keep on him.

Hopefully we can get his food switched up soon and he'll stop having the other problem.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Sounds like he is doing pretty good. Maybe it was just his teeth. Or he could have strained something slightly. They can do some odd stuff that we don't even notice, even watching them as careful as we do. But if everything seems normal, then I'm sure he's fine. And I know you will watch him closely and take him in if he needs to go. You are a great Mom to your babies! :) I hope you guys get the food thing worked out. I know how tough that is. I used to wonder if Chance was going to have a stomach ache for the rest of his life. But he is soooooooo much better now. He rarely has bad days, which before it was more bad days than good. Best wishes, and keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like he is doing pretty good. Maybe it was just his teeth. Or he could have strained something slightly. They can do some odd stuff that we don't even notice, even watching them as careful as we do. But if everything seems normal, then I'm sure he's fine. And I know you will watch him closely and take him in if he needs to go. You are a great Mom to your babies! :) I hope you guys get the food thing worked out. I know how tough that is. I used to wonder if Chance was going to have a stomach ache for the rest of his life. But he is soooooooo much better now. He rarely has bad days, which before it was more bad days than good. Best wishes, and keep us posted. :)
Yeah, he is doing okay, still very mouthy as far as teeth go but if I pick him up and hold a chewy for him he'll go to town for hours - it's quite pathetic. We made it through an entire movie the other night with him in my lap chewing away.

I can't express how different my 2 are, I can't imagine how you all do it with multiples - they're complete opposites. I'm having issues with him I didn't even think of, he's a lot of work just yet. Today we went out walking and he's barking at people, something my girl has never done, so i'll have to break him of that. He's very, very nervous of people so he's getting a salon appointment soon to help break him into the social realm. My bf and I work a lot and we aren't overly social outside of work so he may see a new person once a week or so, so socializing is slow.

Still a whiner as far as being separated from us goes, he doesn't quite understand being gated out of the kitchen doesn't mean cry till mom cries haha.

Thinking back I had a lot more free time when I got my girl so I got to spend a lot more 1 on 1 time to get her trained, but Godric will be a strapping little fellow just yet!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
If he is teething, try putting a wet wash rag in the freezer and letting it freeze a bit and then give it to him. This is very soothing to their gums when they are teething and its free :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If he is teething, try putting a wet wash rag in the freezer and letting it freeze a bit and then give it to him. This is very soothing to their gums when they are teething and its free :)
Oh hey, thanks for that. I hadn't thought of that! He LOVES chasing ice cubes around the floor when I drop them he may love a frozen washcloth! haha.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You know what's funny? I used to use that trick with my children when they were little and teething! :sign5:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts