Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs love their rawhide chews. Ever since i found out that they were bad i have stopped giving it to them, but i just realised that i dont actually know what is bad about them. My vet said that they were ok but i trust that you guys also know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I was told that it is bad for little dogs because it expands in the stomache so I give Minka and Rory synthetic rawhide for small dogs, they love it

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Where do you get synthetic? I have to say, Dolly LOVES her rawhide. I just watch her pretty closely, but I still worry. Also, be sure to get "made in America"...NOT China!

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I got Carl a small rawhide bone for Christmas and he loooved it. I limited his time chewing it, because I know it can make their poop runny :shock: (at least it did with our old dog)
I've heard people say "rawhide is bad" but Carl NEVER gets rawhide unless he's supervised.

Has anyone ever tried the pressed rawhide? http://www.pet-shop.net/assets/images/W16146.jpg

·
Banned
4,807 Posts
I, personally, would not give my dogs rawhide. I do give them Merrick Flossies and Bullysticks. They are really good for their teeth, and way better than rawhide. I read on a website that rawhide is made with a lot of gross ingredients (like cat skins) and the process isn't regulated.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
i read on another forum that as its not regulated rawhind has lots of bacteria in it ... twig loves chewing her rawhind rolled stick and shoe she only has them when supervised but i am struggling to find an alternative that is similar in texture as i dont really want to give it to her anymore after all ive heard about it

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
~Jessie~ said:
I, personally, would not give my dogs rawhide. I do give them Merrick Flossies and Bullysticks. They are really good for their teeth, and way better than rawhide. I read on a website that rawhide is made with a lot of gross ingredients (like cat skins) and the process isn't regulated.
Also made of dog skins, i wouldnt give it to my dogs either.My husband knew of a dog that died from a strangled intestine after eating Rawhide!

·
Registered
136 Posts
dolly'sgrandma said:
Also, be sure to get "made in America"...NOT China!
In fact, I think any rawhide NOT made in the states are not good (e.g Mexico, Indonesia). My neighbor's vet told her so since any rawhide not made in the states could have very bad additives in them that are harmful, such as Arsenic...:shock: (sadly, I heard that corrupted show dog handlers give their dog Arsenic to make their fur extra shiny...)

So, to be safe than sorry I'd try alternatives than giving my dog any rawhide...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Feeding your dog something that has poison in it so the coat will be shiny? WOW. I think a little fish oil would do that too. I agree though...I give the flossies and bully sticks, which my baby LOVES!! I wish they would make them a little smaller though. I always have to break everything up into smaller edible pieces. =/

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I bought my dogs these beef tendons at the pet store today. They are long and stringy. Dolly hasn't stopped chewing on hers since we got home, so they are a success. However, at $1.99 each, I was hoping that they would last a bit longer. With three dogs to give one each to, that's a $6.00 evening's entertainment...if they don't last.

I would love to find something that they could chew on that would last as long as rawhides did. Some people have mention big raw beef bones from the butchers. I might try that.

It is fun to get them their little treats. I agree, the whole bully stick "thing" makes me blush. How could I tell people what they were chewing on? ew.....Although, I have no doubt they would LOVE them.

·
Registered
789 Posts
i didn't know that's what a bully stick was! ewwww!!! mine like pig ears they are cheap and they have no problem chewing on them there are also these rolled bone things with filling in them i buy em at walmart the big dogs love them. but kujo can't fit them in his little mouth :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts