Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've had Bryco home for a week now.

When we brought him to the vet, we told them he had what seemed to be a mild cough. They said it was probably kennel cough of some strain (there can be a variety of causes of the cough)...

They gave us amoxicillin drops that he's been on since Wednesday...but he still has this bad wheezy little cough especially in mornings and evenings. Is there anything else this could be? Poor little guy seems OK during the day but when he first wakes up and before bed time it's just weeze weeze weeze cough cough :-/

I've heard you can give them a small amount of children's cough medicine but I'd rather not do that unless someone's done it and knows its ok.

This morning he seems far less interested in eating too, and I think it's because he's having trouble breathing =(

Our vets never seem to know anything here :foxes15: :-/

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would take him back to the Vet and tell them he is still wheezing. It could be airborne allergies. I wouldn't give him any kind of meds without approval of your Vet. He is still way to young. You just never know what kind of reaction they could have. Feel better soon lil fella'!

Is your house cold? Too warm? Do you have carpet?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would take him back to the Vet and tell them he is still wheezing. It could be airborne allergies. I wouldn't give him any kind of meds without approval of your Vet. He is still way to young. You just never know what kind of reaction they could have. Feel better soon lil fella'!

Is your house cold? Too warm? Do you have carpet?
It's not cold or warm, usually around 70 but last night it got pretty cold.

We have carpet...but he seems to do OK running around on it during the day. But he sounds like a little old man snoring or something when he gets worked up.

I definitely will bring him back tomorrow (they're not open today) ...it seemed like it was getting a bit better til today, and all of a sudden it's way worse. He seems miserable this morning and it's really worrying me. If he doesn't eat soon, I'm gonna have to force feed him again...fun :-/

He has been very interested in eating all week til now, so it worries me. I just hope he ends up OK, he's been a lot of work so far and it makes me nervous.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I'd take him back in and see what they say. He could have some kind of upper respiratory infection. Maybe changing the antibiotic will help. Any time you have wheezing and trouble breathing, it's crucial you have it checked out ASAP. I'm sorry he is having trouble. :( I know you are worried. So young, so small. They can send us to wits end with worry. When Chance was young and had a lot of hacking and stuff I had my carpet cleaned and it helped a lot. Sometime their lil noses can be very sensitive to even the slightest amount of dust, pollen, etc. They are also quite sensitive to cold, and heat. I notice when it gets too cold in my house all the babies noses run. Sometime I have to keep it a bit warmer than I’d like, but it helps. Too much heat can make them sound congested as well. So much with these little guys. Let us know how he’s doing.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd take him back in and see what they say. He could have some kind of upper respiratory infection. Maybe changing the antibiotic will help. Any time you have wheezing and trouble breathing, it's crucial you have it checked out ASAP. I'm sorry he is having trouble. :( I know you are worried. So young, so small. They can send us to wits end with worry. When Chance was young and had a lot of hacking and stuff I had my carpet cleaned and it helped a lot. Sometime their lil noses can be very sensitive to even the slightest amount of dust, pollen, etc. They are also quite sensitive to cold, and heat. I notice when it gets too cold in my house all the babies noses run. Sometime I have to keep it a bit warmer than I’d like, but it helps. Too much heat can make them sound congested as well. So much with these little guys. Let us know how he’s doing.
I put a big glob of wet food on his dry kibble/baby food and now he's eating at least. But that equals more loose poo :( I'm having a hard time getting him stablized, he has some coccidia as well and is on meds for that. I guess the others I have had have just been very healthy and I was lucky and now my luck's up :-/

I'm worried because he has only had 1 set of vaccines, at 5 weeks, which I would say is too young to be effective given the type of vaccine, (we got him at 10 weeks, when he was due for his next ones but the breeder said to give him a few days to adjust first, well...then the vet didn't want to do them, because of the cough...

We've lived where we live for 3 months and before that, it was a new townhome no one had ever lived in, but still, carpet is yucky ha ha. We've talked about having them cleaned anyway so maybe we'll try that or try to keep him on the tile. I've thought maybe he could be having allergies to the laundry detergent we use but it's just about as mild and nonexistent as it gets, so I'm at a loss.

Maybe it getting colder last night triggered him being extra wheezy this morning, who knows, but ... sigh :-/ I just want my little buddy to be OK.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I put a big glob of wet food on his dry kibble/baby food and now he's eating at least. But that equals more loose poo :( I'm having a hard time getting him stablized, he has some coccidia as well and is on meds for that. I guess the others I have had have just been very healthy and I was lucky and now my luck's up :-/

I'm worried because he has only had 1 set of vaccines, at 5 weeks, which I would say is too young to be effective given the type of vaccine, (we got him at 10 weeks, when he was due for his next ones but the breeder said to give him a few days to adjust first, well...then the vet didn't want to do them, because of the cough...

We've lived where we live for 3 months and before that, it was a new townhome no one had ever lived in, but still, carpet is yucky ha ha. We've talked about having them cleaned anyway so maybe we'll try that or try to keep him on the tile. I've thought maybe he could be having allergies to the laundry detergent we use but it's just about as mild and nonexistent as it gets, so I'm at a loss.

Maybe it getting colder last night triggered him being extra wheezy this morning, who knows, but ... sigh :-/ I just want my little buddy to be OK.
That's good that he's eating. Wet food and baby food causes his stool to be loose? I've never had that problem. That could be from the Coccidia.

With him being so small when you got him it's going to be tougher than it was with your others. Keeping the wee guys up can be a tough job. Everything affects them differently. I noticed somewhere that you said he is only gaining a fraction of an ounce here and there. Id talk to your Vet about that too. He should be consistently gaining about 1 to 2 ounces, a week.

Yeah, shots at 5 weeks are like not getting any at all. So he basically has no shots at this point. I would keep him inside, not even taking him out to potty. Use the pads. I also wouldn't take him in public yet either.

Maybe try a baby detergent for his laundry for now?

I'd try the carpet cleaning. It can't hurt. :)

Keep him warm. Get well soon little Bryco!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's good that he's eating. Wet food and baby food causes his stool to be loose? I've never had that problem. That could be from the Coccidia.

With him being so small when you got him it's going to be tougher than it was with your others. Keeping the wee guys up can be a tough job. Everything affects them differently. I noticed somewhere that you said he is only gaining a fraction of an ounce here and there. Id talk to your Vet about that too. He should be consistently gaining about 1 to 2 ounces, a week.

Yeah, shots at 5 weeks are like not getting any at all. So he basically has no shots at this point. I would keep him inside, not even taking him out to potty. Use the pads. I also wouldn't take him in public yet either.

Maybe try a baby detergent for his laundry for now?

I'd try the carpet cleaning. It can't hurt. :)

Keep him warm. Get well soon little Bryco!
Well, he was 18 ounces last Sunday, and he was 20 ounces this morning (at 11 weeks)...which seems pretty normal weight gain for a smaller guy so at least he's gaining:-/

I am sure the coccidia isn't helping with stools but he's been on those meds since Saturday and I'm hoping they start to kick in soon.

Right now we are training him purely to potty pads. He hasn't been outside or on the ground at all, and since we moved in, we have avoiding wearing our shoes inside to keep any yuckies OUTSIDE lol.

We've tried to keep his first week as low stress as possible...let him sleep as much as possible, kept the other dogs from bothering him too much, and kept his world very "small". We leave dry kibble down for him all the time as well as water with a touch of karo syrup and unflavored pedialyte in it (he's in a pen when he's not being held or watched closely by us) and we have a thin layer of plastic under that covered by a thick blanket in there. We also do four "actual" feedings of kibble with either a tsp of baby food (chicken) or a tsp of wet innova puppy. He's eaten like a champ until this morning since last Monday, so...ahhh, it worries me :-/

I just feel so bad, like there's nothing I can do to make him more comfortable and he seems happy enough but also clearly doesn't feel that great sometimes. I know it's only been a week, but I worry and would like to see him healthy.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Well, he was 18 ounces last Sunday, and he was 20 ounces this morning (at 11 weeks)...which seems pretty normal weight gain for a smaller guy so at least he's gaining:-/

I am sure the coccidia isn't helping with stools but he's been on those meds since Saturday and I'm hoping they start to kick in soon.

Right now we are training him purely to potty pads. He hasn't been outside or on the ground at all, and since we moved in, we have avoiding wearing our shoes inside to keep any yuckies OUTSIDE lol.

We've tried to keep his first week as low stress as possible...let him sleep as much as possible, kept the other dogs from bothering him too much, and kept his world very "small". We leave dry kibble down for him all the time as well as water with a touch of karo syrup and unflavored pedialyte in it (he's in a pen when he's not being held or watched closely by us) and we have a thin layer of plastic under that covered by a thick blanket in there. We also do four "actual" feedings of kibble with either a tsp of baby food (chicken) or a tsp of wet innova puppy. He's eaten like a champ until this morning since last Monday, so...ahhh, it worries me :-/

I just feel so bad, like there's nothing I can do to make him more comfortable and he seems happy enough but also clearly doesn't feel that great sometimes. I know it's only been a week, but I worry and would like to see him healthy.
That is perfect! 2 ounces in one week means he's getting the nutrition he needs. :)

Coccidia can take some time to get under control. But I would keep a tab on it, which I know you are.

Sounds like you are doing everything you can to keep him healthy. With the wee ones it's just day to day sometime. One day they'll be fine, the next may pose a challenge. Gets tough, but all worth it. :)

Kisses wee Man!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hehe...I just want him to be OK eventually. We dont mind the extra care now and I knew that when I got a puppy from someone that had more than 1 litter at a time, things like kennel cough were likely to be an issue. I also figured when I couldn't get him to eat the first 12 hours that chances of coccidia/giardia went wayyy up because of the stress that was apparent on his system...I just feel so bad and would love to see him healthy.

I'm keeping a close eye on his weight...my guess is he will be around 3.5 lbs as an adult, so not really a "tiny", but certainly "small".

Your advice is always greatly appreciated because I know you've dealt with all of this and more probably. I just hope he ends up OK :-/

I'm going to order one of those snugglesafe heating disc things I think...if I put it on one side of his bed he can get away from it if he's too warm, but that way if it gets chilly at night he has somewhere to snuggle up to, too. Right now he's all snuggled inside my shirt lol...fast asleep.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Ah Kristi i'm sorry Bryco isn't too well.. give him kisses from us.. Is there another vets you could take him too if you're not happy with your one?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
hope he feels better soon.
I had a friend that bought a pup from a kennel breeder he had coccidia and small kennel cough so vet gave her albon for 20days and she said it cleared up quickly but becareful if you have young ones since they get it too.
Good luck and keep us updated

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sorry to hear the wee one isn't well. Def get a recheck on the URI. He should be clearing up. This is such a difficult thing to treat. He may well need a different antibiotic and some cough suppresent for nights and morning. He's got to get comfortable and breathing well to eat good for ya.

Please keep him on the tile and seperated from the others. Coccidia is contagious to the other dogs and will stay in the environment and can be carried on your feet, etc, when you walk through the area he's at. I'd keep him confined to an e-pen on tile for easy clean up. Bleach doesn't kill it but amonia will. You need a high dilution rate (fumes can hurt the baby) and a rinse when you're done, using clean mop water after every BM. Same for his bedding. Change after every BM, wash with amonia in water, hot, and use dryer for the heat. Usually by day 3 of Albon, you see a noticable difference in the stool but make sure you complete the entire week of medication.

If you want to offer him a snuggly heat source during the night, take an old tube sock (I stole one of my husband's as he wears a size 13), fill with UNCOOKED white rice about 1/2 way, and tie in a knot. You microwave it for about 3-4 minutes and then put it in a towl in his bed. It retains the heat for most of the night and is snuggly for the pups. He can lay on it if he wants, next to it if only wants a little warmth, or on the other side of his bed if not at all. Quick, safe, and inexpensive.

Good luck with the baby. Keep us posted on what the vet says on Monday.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to hear the wee one isn't well. Def get a recheck on the URI. He should be clearing up. This is such a difficult thing to treat. He may well need a different antibiotic and some cough suppresent for nights and morning. He's got to get comfortable and breathing well to eat good for ya.

Please keep him on the tile and seperated from the others. Coccidia is contagious to the other dogs and will stay in the environment and can be carried on your feet, etc, when you walk through the area he's at. I'd keep him confined to an e-pen on tile for easy clean up. Bleach doesn't kill it but amonia will. You need a high dilution rate (fumes can hurt the baby) and a rinse when you're done, using clean mop water after every BM. Same for his bedding. Change after every BM, wash with amonia in water, hot, and use dryer for the heat. Usually by day 3 of Albon, you see a noticable difference in the stool but make sure you complete the entire week of medication.

If you want to offer him a snuggly heat source during the night, take an old tube sock (I stole one of my husband's as he wears a size 13), fill with UNCOOKED white rice about 1/2 way, and tie in a knot. You microwave it for about 3-4 minutes and then put it in a towl in his bed. It retains the heat for most of the night and is snuggly for the pups. He can lay on it if he wants, next to it if only wants a little warmth, or on the other side of his bed if not at all. Quick, safe, and inexpensive.

Good luck with the baby. Keep us posted on what the vet says on Monday.
We've been keeping him separate and he has done well pooing only on his potty pad which we switch out after every BM. The others can't get in there. Unfortunately the first day or so they weren't separate so who knows. Our vet said Trigger is the one to watch as he likely has the most immature immune system and the two girls as they are older should be OK.

I've tried looking at the two other vets in town but for the most part they don't really seem any better. I will definitely be bringing him in again tomorrow after work to maybe have them switch out his antibiotic for the kennel cough...I do feel like after 5 days of meds he should be at least somewhat better. We are on day 2 of the Albon, so hopefully in a day or two we will start to see improvement there. We haven't switched his food yet because we're waiting for all this to clear up and him stabilize before we mess with it ;-)

The rice sock didn't even occur to me--that's awesome as we have everything we need for it right here and I can make him one for tonight. We used to use one for my hubby's neck.

We are cleaning the carpets next weekend so I'm hoping anything that might have gotten into them over the past week will be adios then.

I've never had a little one be sick before so I just want him better! If there's any other suggestions anyone has, definitely pass them along.

I think we're going to hook up a humidifier for tonight as the air is very dry in CO and I think that might help, I know it helps me when I'm congested.

So far we've kept him off of nutrical other than the first 24 hours and he's eaten well 4 times a day short of this morning but the rest of the day he's done well so...fingers crossed :-/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts