Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I was wondering when I can teach my dogs simple commands. Like come, and stay. Also, what did you all do to teach your dogs these commands?

My other question is, do you allow your dogs to chew on socks? Gypsy LOVES socks and I just want to make sure, its not like bad behavior?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i am not the best at training so i have to skip that. i can say that if you give her socks to play with she won't know the difference between "ok socks to chew" and "socks you can't chew" so if you don't want holes in socks that she finds on the floor when you aren't looking i suggest not letting her play with them...

i had a terry cloth towel that my pit used to chew on and we'd play tuggie tug with, one night i left my terry cloth robe on the chair in our room and he ripped it apart. his honest mistake, it was the same material....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Teach her to come immediately. It's maybe the most important command to know for safety. Every time you call her, she approaches you, you pet her or tell her Good Girl or Good Come - you are teaching her to come. I bet you're already doing this and you just didn't realize it. :)

Other commands, I'm not a trainer, but just based on what I've read it's okay to start any time. Just make it fun and only work for a few minutes. I'm guessing stay will be very hard, but sit should not be so hard.

At her age, her attention span is not long enough to get these commands down (she's 9 weeks right?) but you're establishing a routine - then one day you'll say Sit and BOOM - she's got it.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Yes right away...Bindi knows SIT, STAY, COME, DROP IT, NO BITE....she does not do stay very well and I have to whistle to get her to come.....Kemo does what he wants when he wants.....If I have food they will do whatever I want and I dont always believe in training all the time with food for that very reason :roll:

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I agree the sock thing might not be the best idea. Every time I got mad at my boyfriend I would let Tader "play" with his socks, he would just leave them laying on the floor so I would just leave them there instead of picking them up so Tader thought it was fun to eat them one day the game did backfire when I accidently left my bra on the floor & Tader ate it. Not a good game. I have no idea about training Tader is alot like Kemo he mostly does what he wants when he wants.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can teach your pup the basic commands as soon as you bring her home. Even if she doesnt get it at first the repitition will help her in the long run. I taught Princess sit and stay pretty easily if you stand in front of your pup and hold a treat just above her head and say sit and they will generally sit to be able to see it. As soon as her bum hits the ground you can give her the treat. Eventually you can add stay and with practice she'll get it.

I am having trouble with come myself, Princess took off out the door the other day and I am yellin Come Princess as I walk towards her and she thinks its the funniest game. If anyone has suggestion as to how to teach the command come successfully I'd love to hear it too!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
from what my vet says puppies at 8 weeks are just a smart and have the brain capacity as an adukt dog and can learn all the commands... I also heard this from the "Dog whisperer" on Spike tv. he is really a knowledgeable person when it comes to dogs... It is amazing how he gets the most undiciplined dogs to obey....

I started teaching gadget when he was 8 weeks and he has alot of tricks that he can do... he will even come when called but when he gets close to you he starts hopping around... it is like he thinks it's a game... so we have to work with him on that but he has sit, stay, down steps, up steps, sit pretty, get the ball, drop it, dance, high five(gets better everytime we do this one), he's starting to get shake.... he will do shake please, (only with me) he also does his little play with me mom bark... he is also starting to learn to ssssssssshhhhhhhhh when we don't want him to bark... he is really good at be quiet if you want out of your bag. he is just days from being 4 months old.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Well, actually it is Mark who has been teaching me to teach him... most of the stuff he does came by surprise.. just like the sit pretty he just started doing it one day and we called it sit pretty when he did it now he will do it on command...

the down steps and up steps I taught him when I made his steps for him, trying to get him to go up and down them...

the get the ball was part of a test I got off of this site... can't remember the URL but I might have it in my favorites. I will have to go look and see if I can find it... I will post it if I have it...

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
We are going to obedience classes right now, and our trainer tells us you have to work on the "come" command faithfully for a long time. Her dogs are 4 and 15 and she still practices COME with her dogs. She told us to do it this way: Throw a treat across the room, and once the dog is eating it, call "COME!" and they should come back and feed them another treat when they come and keep doing that over and over. Cooper Never comes when called. The only way we can get him to come (if he's outside) is if we call another dog's name (a dog he know's) because he is very jelous and posesive and he comes running as fast as he can. :lol:

I recommend dog obedience classes, they have helped wonders with our dog (except for "come" but we're working on it!) :lol:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
That is a good idea.. throw the treat and call him and then give him another treat... I think I might try that... Gadget Comes when we call him but when he gets close to us he starts bouncing around like he wants to play...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts