Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's cute! He looks like a little lion cub! The only bits of Buttons that is long haired at the moment is the tufty bits round his ears. His dad was short haired. I can't remember whether his mum was short or long haired. I saw his dad in the flesh but his mum only over Skype. Will be interesting to see how fluffy he turns out

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
He's cute! He looks like a little lion cub! The only bits of Buttons that is long haired at the moment is the tufty bits round his ears. His dad was short haired. I can't remember whether his mum was short or long haired. I saw his dad in the flesh but his mum only over Skype. Will be interesting to see how fluffy he turns out

Thank you! That's why we named him Leo, Leo the lion! Lol.

It just takes time, Leo's coat is much thicker now at 1 but the breeder said it will get even fuller.
Mimi comes from mommy and daddy having LC's so I'm really excited to see how furry she will be! She already a fluff ball.
Buttons is so handsome no matter how fluffy his coat will or won't be. He's such a doll and I love his face!!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Around 4-5 months they blow their puppy coats & will begin to grow in their adult coat. It CAN take up to 2 years for them to get in their full coats but depending on their genetics they can have a decent coat in by 7-8 months. I have a LC boy who is almost 6mo & he's just starting to grow in some adult coat. Still looking a bit nekked atm though. :)

This is Chaos:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I have one boy (Chiko) who had so little hair for ages I was worried he'd stay the ugly duckling for life - now, at 1yo he has enough dense, double, soft, silky coat for 5 long hair chis.

My little sable boy Ollie finally got some hair, but only after his white chest went entirely bald, it seems to be a single coat but is now long & lovely. He's fully long haired but it's a single coat and their hair is always a little coarser than the double coat LH's.

My little girl Midge started out as a soft, furball but now at about 8/9 months has a relatively short coat but has developed pants, tail plume ... I expect she may suddenly go long the closer we get to winter. She too seems to have a single coat which is is coarser than Chiko's.

In my experience their coats started morphing at around 6 months and the change was dramatic, but it's all down to sire/dam's coats & the time of year it is imo i.e. summer you won't see so much growth/change as you will coming into winter when it really starts to take off.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Mylo was pretty fluffy from the start but at 9 months he has a very thick coat, with long thick tail hair and ear hair. The hair on his legs and ears may still need to grow in a bit but I can't imagine his coat getting any thicker! Willow's is very thin on the body, very smooth and no hair around her tummy. She has a bit of long hair on her ears and her tail and she's 6 months. Both had long coat parents although I only saw a photo of Willow's dad but he had very long, thick hair in the photo. I think it really depends on the individual chi.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
The baby picture of Bonnie was a puppy with fluffy hair all over. When she came to me at 17 weeks, the fluffy hair was gone! She is almost a year now, and has a nice plummed tail and ears, but the hair on her body is still fairly short. She has a ''cowlick' on her side, with the hair curling up. Was just groomed and she looks really good.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My girl's fur took forever to fully grow in. She looked kinda silly for a long time, but in a cute way, as a puppy. Also, some long hairs are fluffier than others. Cuddles's fur is long, but I've seen Chihuahuas with fuller coats.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts