Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gemma will be 4 months this Thursday, and currently I am feeding her 3 times per day. However, she rarely eats her lunch and I just end up throwing away her kibble because I moisten it with water and it gets yucky after it sits around for an hour.

Do you think it would be safe to switch her to 2 meals per day and maybe just give her a few kibbles as treats in the afternoon? She probably only eats her lunch meal once out of every 3 or 4 days. I would make the morning and nighttime meals bigger to make up for the lost middle meal. Has anyone else started feeding two meals this young without any issues?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, girls. She has almost never eaten lunch since I brought her home. I guess she's just not a big eater. I will start switching her to two meals starting today and see how it goes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Milo takes FOREVER to eat. Going from having a dog who wolfs down her food in 3 seconds flat to having one who takes about half an hours to eat 20 biscuits was a bit of a shock!

He doesn't eat lunch very well, and if he leaves it I just try not to worry and then give him tea as per usual. Giving little treats in-between is a good idea I think, just to keep their blood sugar levels up.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I still feed and will continue to feed three times per day. Miya is very active so that works well for us. From 7AM to 7PM is a long time for her not to eat in my opinion. So until we start seeing weight issues, she will continue that regimen.

I know you said Gemma doesn't care to walk so she may not be quite as active. I know a lot of folks on here feed only twice per day, so just do what works for you and Gemma.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Milo takes FOREVER to eat. Going from having a dog who wolfs down her food in 3 seconds flat to having one who takes about half an hours to eat 20 biscuits was a bit of a shock!

He doesn't eat lunch very well, and if he leaves it I just try not to worry and then give him tea as per usual. Giving little treats in-between is a good idea I think, just to keep their blood sugar levels up.
She really only eats anything mid-day if I give it to her by hand as like a snack or a treat. She won't eat a meal from her plate. So I think I'll just give her some kibbles during training sessions in the afternoon in place of her lunch.

I still feed and will continue to feed three times per day. Miya is very active so that works well for us. From 7AM to 7PM is a long time for her not to eat in my opinion. So until we start seeing weight issues, she will continue that regimen.

I know you said Gemma doesn't care to walk so she may not be quite as active. I know a lot of folks on here feed only twice per day, so just do what works for you and Gemma.
We go outside with her every day that the weather is good. We even took her out today downtown while it was raining and walked her a little. She actually did surprisingly well for it being wet out and being around strangers. I think it was an improvement! But she doesn't really like to walk very much or very far. She never runs outside. She gets most of her exercise inside playing with toys and running them back and forth from the couch in the living room to her crate in the bedroom. She's definitely not super active and hyper. I guess that's just her temperament. So maybe two meals is okay since she doesn't seem to use a lot of energy.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Miya is a little piggy tho lol. She is picky about breakfast sometimes, if it's raw. Usually she's fine, but sometimes she doesn't want to use the energy to eat her raw lol. But if it's ZP, it's gone in the blink of an eye!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Chloe has only eaten two meals a day plus treats ever since we brought her home. We go on walks some, but most of her exercise is from playing with toys like Gemma. We've never had issues. I don't know if it's right or not but I read somewhere that for most dogs who don't typically have a sugar problems, their sugar usually doesn't drop unless they are stressed.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I agree, if she isn't eating her lunch she will be fine on two meals per day. I started feeding mine 2x per day at about 6 months for Penny and 8 months for Lion, but each dog is different.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to hear that others have had success with two meals a day at a young age then. So, do you feed their meals 12 hours apart? Gemma usually has breakfast at 10am, so should I feed her dinner at 10pm? We got to bed pretty late, like usually around 2am or 3am every night, so that's why she eats breakfast so late in the morning. Right now she usually has breakfast at 10pm, lunch at 4pm, and dinner at 10pm. Should I stick with that schedule and omit lunch or should I feed her dinner earlier than 10pm?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I usually vary when I feed them by an hour or two so their stomachs don't get used to it. I feed them between 6:30 and 8:30 in the morning, and 3:30-6:00 at night. We go to bed around 11-12 every night. I give them a few pieces of food right before bed, otherwise they wake me up at 5am for breakfast!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you both once again! I think I will try to feed Gemma around 10am and 9pm at night. I don't feed her immediately after we wake up because she doesn't have interest in food until she does a pee and a poop and gets all of her morning jitters out. :p It usually takes about an hour for her to get ready for her breakfast, lol.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Wow you are lucky... I have to feed mine the second I open my eyes, or they will go nuts! I wish they took a while to be ready for breakfast.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel the opposite, lol. I just want Gemma to eat her dang food in the morning but sometimes it's like I have to force her. When she wakes up all she wants to do is run around with her toys and go out on the balcony and sit in the sun.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Miya's feeding times vary as well. Breakfast is anywhere from 7am-11am depending on when we go to bed. Lunch is mid day. Dinner is 6-9PM

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby isn't an eater. I usually have to force him to eat in the morning, he just wants to go back to sleep. At dinner, he is more interested in playing than eating. I feed him as much as he'll eat, but he runs it all off. Feeding is so difficult!!!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Miya's feeding times vary as well. Breakfast is anywhere from 7am-11am depending on when we go to bed. Lunch is mid day. Dinner is 6-9PM
Yeah, it does depend when we wake up and how long it takes Gemma to eat her food. But at night I always try to feed her around 9 or 10 since we go to bed so late.

Toby isn't an eater. I usually have to force him to eat in the morning, he just wants to go back to sleep. At dinner, he is more interested in playing than eating. I feed him as much as he'll eat, but he runs it all off. Feeding is so difficult!!!
I share your pain! Gemma is the exact same way. She either just wants to sleep or play. Food is boring! :p Thankfully she ate her whole dinner tonight as soon as I put it down and was actually excited for it. Usually I have to like force her away from all distractions in order to get her to eat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts