Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whenever daisy is biting (and not the playful bites).. i firmly tell her "NO!" and try to ignore her, but it just pumps her up and she gets super hyper and barks and growls and barks some more. she never barks unless i tell her no. lol.. what the heck am i supposed to do? i am supposed to be the boss here.. what is a good way to put her in her place?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Have you tried flipping her onto her back and holding her there until she quits wriggling this is a submissive pose for dogs and it will just let her know that you are the alpha dog :wave:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I agree with Ozzysmom (and Lily, too) that she has gotten the idea that "no" means a game to her.
She needs to submit to you as alpha. With a puppy, I put them on their back in the crook of my arm-their head at my elbow-like holding a baby-I can hold the back feet with the hand on that arm and then hold the chest with the opposite hand. They need to quit squirming and to make eye contact with you before you release them. This shows them that you are the boss. Sometimes or maybe the first few times you do this, they will not like it at all...they will squirm, whine, nip, anything to keep from giving in to you. But eventually they will...don't be mean or loose control, just be firm.
The mommy chi of the two pups I have right now, disciplines by rolling them on their back and really biting on the neck-growling at the same time(it really looks mean)-they will quit what they are doing and lay really quiet until she leaves-and then they are off to another adventure, but they do not continue the former one.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but when i hold her down when she's on her back.. i say no firmly and try to make her look at me, but she just gnaws on my hands really hard. grrr! it's so frustrating. :cry:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes. I've heard some people counsel not using your voice to scold your Chi, clap, snap, or have a jar of beans on hand.

What I have had to do with both of mine is teach them what the NO or the angry voice means they're in trouble and need to stop what they're doing.

I did this by clapping and saying NO at the same time, or using the "roll them over and confine their movements" while saying NO.

Both of my puppies seemed so happy go lucky that NO or even growling at them just made them excited.

But PUPPY REALLY objected to my rolling her over. She would SQUIRM AROUND LIKE CRAZY and bite my fingers. I just kept holding her until she stopped. She's stubborn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts