Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i would say between 9 months to 1 year , i'm going to wait until paris (the oldest) is one year , vienna will be 10 months then ....so i can quit them all three together :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Cooper is probably an exception.

Most dogs should stay on puppy food for as close to a year as possible because they are still growing and the puppy food is designed for that.
Of coarse there are always reasons why they might need to switch to regular food early, like digestive problems or weight problems.
And if you have more than 1 and they aren't the same age you might have to switch early. But generally between 8 and 12 months if at all possible.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i started switching chiwi at 7 months old. she was getting the royal canin mini puppy and i had about a 1/4 bag to go so instead of buying another bag that would have gotten wasted in the long run cause the royal canin chi formula says to switch at 8 months i just bought the chi formula and gradually changed her over, by 8 months she had no more mini puppy left.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I kept my dog on puppy food until I assumed she was around 1 year old. Then I switched to a formula just for Chihuahuas. I mixed them for a week or two since she's picky and I didn't think a drastic change would be very successful. Then completely switched over.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I had Fudge on puppy food till he was 1 year and I wish I wouldn't have because on his yearly visit to the vet he had some buildup starting on his teeth and the vet told me I probably should have put him on adult food at around 9 months. Now he gets his teeth brushed daily with a spacial chicken flavored tooth paste and he is scheduled for a dental in February.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'm actually buying a bag of the RC puppy tommorrow because he is very low on it...I was planning on starting to mix the puppy with some of the chi, until I got him completely on the chi....but he's only got a tiny bit left...so I'll probably start him next month.

My vet said 8 months is fine because most of his growth has been done...except for some filling out later :wave:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Miellie is almost two months (will be on the 18th) so I still have a couple of months to go, but it's good to know. I was actually wondering about this, so thanx!

Also, did you feed your puppies dry puppy food (kibble?) or soft food? I only feed Miellie soft food and was wondering if that would deter her from eating kibble as an adult?

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
it's hard to get a chi eating kibble after it's used to eating soft food , maybe you can start mixing his food already with puppy kibble :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
it's hard to get a chi eating kibble after it's used to eating soft food , maybe you can start mixing his food already with puppy kibble :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
465 Posts
xx-nathalie-xx said:

kisses nat
I'll do that. In the evenings I usually give her some of what we're eating (steak, mince, etc) if dogs are allowed eat it. But I think I should stop for a while and start her on the soft food & kibble mix until she eats it and then I can start treating her again (only in evenings, though).

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Miellie said:
I'll do that. In the evenings I usually give her some of what we're eating (steak, mince, etc) if dogs are allowed eat it. But I think I should stop for a while and start her on the soft food & kibble mix until she eats it and then I can start treating her again (only in evenings, though).
I'd be carefull about feeding to much "human" food when they're young it made Nemo really fussy and he wouldnt eat his dog food he only wanted what I was having so with Stitch he has no scraps from me at all and seems perfectly content on his RC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts