Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... Mason will be 9 wks old on Saturday. I got him last Friday and he is absolutely brilliant except that he can cry continuously for HOURS. All night.

I am crate training him, but he point blank hates his crate.

I had to send him to stay at my Dad's house for a night or two because I hadn't slept all weekend and was due back at work yesterday.

Any tips, or reassurance? With my last dog (a JRT X Poodle) I caved in after 2 nights and he ended up sleeping on the bed. Forever! I don't want my baby to sleep on my bed all the time and anyway at the moment he is only 2lbs so that's not an option! I would crush him!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Unfortunately, this is what happens when breeders sell the puppies way too early and don't do the things they are supposed to do to get the pup ready for it's new home. Poor Mason. He doesn't hate his crate. He just doesn't understand what's happening to him. Can you just imagine how sad, alone, and scared he is to have his whole world turned upside down? I'm so sorry he's having to go through this. I know it hard on you, but it's harder on him.

Mason needs LOTS of interaction, love, and attention during the day. The scariest part for me is your return to work. Are you able to take him with you? What's going on with Mason while you are at work? Crate training is great but he shouldn't be in a crate all day and all night. If he's in it thoughout the day, when someone is home, he should be taken out about every hour to potty, given 20 minutes of play and love, then he can be crated again once he's tired from playing. An hour later, same thing. If someone can't be with him throughout the day while you are working, then please make sure you have him set up somewhere safe with his bed, food/water, and potty pad. Many use a bathroom with a baby gate across the door or an infant playpen. Mason is physically unable to stay in a crate all day while everyone is gone to work. That doesn't happen until they are about 6-9 months old or over. Ideally, it doesn't happen then if he's also going to be crated all night.

Mason needs lap time and cuddles to reassure him. If he's getting plenty of exercise, playtime, cuddle time, and eating well, he will not be crying so much because he's getting what he needs and is ready to sleep. The last out at night should be no earlier than 11PM and the first out of the morning no later than 6AM for one this age. When he is crated overnight, you can put a rice warmer sock in with him so he has something to cuddle up to that imitates a mom/littermate's warmth. Another thing to consider is a small windup travel clock that ticks. You can put it by his warming sock under his blanket in the bottom of his crate. This will make him feel more secure.

He should have a full belly from a meal within an hour of going to bed if he's crying this much. This uses up a lot of calories. If he's fed around 9:30PM, given lots of playtime out of his crate, taken for a couple potty breaks so he can have a BM before bed time, etc. and then taken out at 11PM for about 15 minutes or so prior to getting in his crate for the night, he should start settling down. He'll be good and tired from all the play and attention and more ready to sleep. It's not an instant fix, but it's a great start. You can also put the crate on a nightstand next to your bed so he can see you and you can reach over to put your fingers through the door to reassure him he's not alone.

Are you gonna lose sleep with a puppy this young? Absolutely. However, he should not be crying for hours on end all night long. This is totally unhealthy for Mason. We need to get him settled for his sake, and yours. Hopefully some of these suggestions will help. Please let us know. We'll keep trying til we find the right combination for both of you.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I totally agree with everything lisa said. I used a ticking clock and a cuddly toy and never heard a peep out of her. Try to wear him out before bedtime. They cry because they're in a strange place with strange smells and strange people. Where in the house is his crate. I use to move daisys to the front room in the day and my room at night so she slept in it during the day. I'd spend time getting him use to it don't just put him in and shut the door I use to wait til she was chilled in there before I shut it.

I hope he cheers up soon poor baby

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Unfortunately, this is what happens when breeders sell the puppies way too early and don't do the things they are supposed to do to get the pup ready for it's new home. Poor Mason. He doesn't hate his crate. He just doesn't understand what's happening to him. Can you just imagine how sad, alone, and scared he is to have his whole world turned upside down? I'm so sorry he's having to go through this. I know it hard on you, but it's harder on him.

Mason needs LOTS of interaction, love, and attention during the day. The scariest part for me is your return to work. Are you able to take him with you? What's going on with Mason while you are at work? Crate training is great but he shouldn't be in a crate all day and all night. If he's in it thoughout the day, when someone is home, he should be taken out about every hour to potty, given 20 minutes of play and love, then he can be crated again once he's tired from playing. An hour later, same thing. If someone can't be with him throughout the day while you are working, then please make sure you have him set up somewhere safe with his bed, food/water, and potty pad. Many use a bathroom with a baby gate across the door or an infant playpen. Mason is physically unable to stay in a crate all day while everyone is gone to work. That doesn't happen until they are about 6-9 months old or over. Ideally, it doesn't happen then if he's also going to be crated all night.

Mason needs lap time and cuddles to reassure him. If he's getting plenty of exercise, playtime, cuddle time, and eating well, he will not be crying so much because he's getting what he needs and is ready to sleep. The last out at night should be no earlier than 11PM and the first out of the morning no later than 6AM for one this age. When he is crated overnight, you can put a rice warmer sock in with him so he has something to cuddle up to that imitates a mom/littermate's warmth. Another thing to consider is a small windup travel clock that ticks. You can put it by his warming sock under his blanket in the bottom of his crate. This will make him feel more secure.

He should have a full belly from a meal within an hour of going to bed if he's crying this much. This uses up a lot of calories. If he's fed around 9:30PM, given lots of playtime out of his crate, taken for a couple potty breaks so he can have a BM before bed time, etc. and then taken out at 11PM for about 15 minutes or so prior to getting in his crate for the night, he should start settling down. He'll be good and tired from all the play and attention and more ready to sleep. It's not an instant fix, but it's a great start. You can also put the crate on a nightstand next to your bed so he can see you and you can reach over to put your fingers through the door to reassure him he's not alone.

Are you gonna lose sleep with a puppy this young? Absolutely. However, he should not be crying for hours on end all night long. This is totally unhealthy for Mason. We need to get him settled for his sake, and yours. Hopefully some of these suggestions will help. Please let us know. We'll keep trying til we find the right combination for both of you.
I agree completely with what Lisa said. I used to think 8 weeks was an OK age to get a puppy, and while yes, I still do think its OK in some circumstances, I do think its safer if they wait until 10-12 weeks. Chis are soooo tiny and they do need extra care.

I got Bryco at 10 weeks. The breeder normally does not sell them until they are 12 weeks old, but I live 8 hoursaway from her and we were there, and she knows I have experience, so she let me have him. OMG, he has given me a run for my money, lol. He has never been a cryer at night time but HE WANTS HIS MOMMY(ME!). If I leave the room he flips out. During the first few weeks I had him, he spent half the day at work with me. This let me give him the "security" he needed, but still, its been a lot of work. He has some digestive issues that the breeder and I both think may not have occurred had we waited until 12 weeks. At 10 weeks he was only 18 ounces, and now at almost 15 weeks he is 29 ounces. The first few weeks are a LOT of work. For me, the whole first month has been exhausting with this little guy. I think its just part of the package and you have to expect that your puppy will cry.

Try putting something warm in his crate with him. Maybe he's cold. Maybe he can't hold his potty all night...there's nothing worse for a little dog to "have" to potty in their bed. You have to figure out what your guy needs, and GIVE IT TO HIM.

Sending him to your dads just confuses him more because then he doesn't understand where his new home is.

Try sleeping with is crate RIGHT next to your bed where you sleep, where he can see and smell you, you might even try sleeping with a hand in his crate until he falls asleep.

A tired puppy isn't going to have much energy left to whine at night, so feed him well, then play hard with him. Ball, chase, run around your living room, tug-o-war (he should always win at this young age, it helps build confidence), etc.

He KNOWS your other dog sleeps in the bed with you, and wants to know why he can't be part of the pack, too. Why don't you use this time to crate train your older dog, too? Its a valuable life skill for a dog, you never know what life might throw at you and you don't want a kennel to freak them out.

When he isn't at work with me, we keep Bryco in a 4 foot by 4 foot pen during the day, with water, cozy little bed, lots of toys, and he can see our other dogs, whose beds are right next to his pen, so the are all "together" when they are home alone. They only have access to one large room, full house access would be a disaster LOL.

Bryco is fed 4 times a day and that is a must for your little guy, too. Around 8 am, around noon, around 5 pm, and again around 9:30 pm. The last meal is tiny, only about 2 teaspoons of food, but it helps keep him going.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

Just to make something clear: My other dog lives with my Dad now, so Mason does not know that he slept on my bed, sorry I should have explained that. Also, I do completely understand that he is scared and feels lonely, I just did not expect him to be able to cry continuously for such a long period of time.

I do have to return to work, I only work 3 days per week but I need to work!!! He will be crated for a few hours, then my Dad will be coming to let him out, play with him, feed him etc etc, then he will go back in his crate for another few hours before I come home.

He already has a heated puppy soother in his crate, and sleeps in a cat igloo within the crate with blankets so he can fully snuggle.

Please don't for a minute think that I do not give him LOADS of attention when I am with him because I do, He is currently fast asleep inside my cardigan (which I am still wearing!!!) and we have lots of play times during the day. He follows me everywhere and whimpers when I go upstairs to use the bathroom!!!!

His crate is kept in the living room, where we spend most of our time.

At the moment, because he is so young, he has half the crate to sleep in and the other half to potty in if necessary, as accidents do happen.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
One thing I found helpful was to put the crate on a table or tray that is eye level to your bed. I had a cryer and when I put her even with my bed and she could see me, the crying stopped. Good luck. You have lots of great suggestions here.
Tricia

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I personally wouldn't have a pad in his crate it kinda defeats the object of crate training a bit, I know some people have done this and it has worked but as he is quite distressed already I don't think it will help matters. Dogs are naturally clean (ish) animals and don't like to soil where the sleep having a pad in there defeats their natural instinct. He should just have enough room to stand up and turn around.

If your dad comes in that's great. Apparently they can be left alone for 1 hour for every month old they are plus an hour. So 3 for him however co of his stress I'd only leave him for 2 and let him out for potty and play etc. Mine us nearlly 7 months and the longest I've left her is 3.5 hours now

I know it's difficult with work but could you take a few days annual leave so you have a week to accustom him to everything?? Good luck

Is your dad gonna feed him too as he'll need 2 meals whilst your at work??

·
Registered
229 Posts
You have to make him see his crate as enjoyable....a fun place to be everytime he falls asleep place him in it so he wakes up there leave the door open though. put treats and toys in there so he assosiates his cage with good things. When i got cash i wanted him to sleep in the kitchen but he cried ALLLLLLLL NIGHT. I didnt wanna p*** my neighbours off so i caved he sleeps in the living room where he will quietly sleep through the night and i sleep upstairs i wanting to train him without a crate...i may well regret this if he starts getting destructive but from day dot i started leaving him on his own etc and so far hes fine with it. you just have to persevere. Try google crate training may have good tipsx

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Cash wait til he is a bit older I didn't uncrate daisy til I was sure she was fully housebroken at 5 months

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I got Leila middle of may. she was 10 1/2 weeks old. she has not cried at night once. She doesn't sleep in a crate yet, but will when she's older ( my other 2 dogs do and like it) I thought she should wait until she could hold "it' all night for sleeping in crate. I use this http://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-4-Panel-Indoor-Outdoor-Plastic-Pen-White-Dogs/13025218 In my kitchen. She has a bed, potty pad, food/water, toys. Its' working for me. Every case is different obviously. Just thought i would chime in and let you know what others are doing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Daisydoo yes my Dad id going to feed him, I think I did write that in my last post.

He seems to have chilled out a bit today, he has sat quietly in the kitchen whilst I did all my cleaning in there, on Monday he was on my ankles crying when I was trying to do that.

His crate does have toys etc in there, I even put his bowl in there at dinner time but he still just seems to want to avoid it like the plague!

I had 4 full days off with him, then was back to work yesterday and off today. I am back in work tomorrow and Friday. I am actually self employed and there was no way I could book any time off as I already have customers booked in on every day I work until August. (I am not making excuses, I'm just saying there's no exact convenient time to take time off until September!!)

If all else fails I will have to put him in my room.

Thank you for all the advice though.:)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
All great advice above already.
Yeah i was going to say, put treats in the crate, so he sees it as a good place.
Even when you are home, have the door open on the crate and give him his chewies in there etc....
I also put a top of mine in so Darla could snuggle that too and a heat pad you put in the microwave.
I was lucky Darla took to her crate very quickly after coming home and i had her at 8 weeks.
Just tire him out as much as you can before bedtime.
Only let him out when he is calm, not crying, unless of course it's for a poo or pee.
Their bladders are teeny so lift water a good while before bed too.

Hope he feels less stressed soon, bless him. xx

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WE HAVE HAD A BREAKTHROUGH!!!!:hello1:

Last night, he cried for about half an hour when we left him and went to bed, then I only heard him twice in the night for a few minutes each time.

This is massive progress, and I have actually slept myself so am very pleased!!!
:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts