Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have an 11 week old puppy I've had since she was 8 weeks and her ears have been floppy since I got her. The other pups in the litter also had floppy ears but I met the parents (both full chihuahua) and they had erect ears. The breeder said they'd stand up but I've been doing some research online and seems they should be upright by now. I feed her well with a nutritionally rich mix of dry and wet puppy food so I don't believe she's not getting the right nutrients she needs, she's growing at a healthy rate. I'm curious if anyone else's pup had ears that took longer to stand up on their own? I've read that her ears could just be floppy. Does anyone else have any experience with this? And is there anything I can do to encourage her ears to stand up? Right now I feel the only thing I can do is wait to see what happens. Anyway, I love her unconditionally, floppy ears or not!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same thing occur with my little Chihuahua. It turned out to be that when they are teething, the cartilage in their ears are used up to help their teeth coming up through their gums. You can look it up in the Internet and it explains the process there. I also asked my Veterinarian why, and he told me the exact same reason. I know it sounds weird, but that's the reason why. Hope this eases your mind. Torchy Massie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts