Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you go by size or age? Chico is 11wks old today and weighed just under 2lbs this morning. The vet said anywhere from 4mo to a year, he just doesn't like to do elective surgery on small dogs.

Does neutering keep them from hiking their legs on things or acting like a 'little man'? I've never had a male pet in the house and I'm just not sure! I have absolutely no interest in breeding him but want him to be a good house dog....know what I mean?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
elective????????
hello where is this vets mind at? I dont mean to be disrepectful but it is certainly in the dogs best interest to get done health wise. Of course if you are breeding that is different.....he makes it sound like a nose job.

Yes it will help them stop (if they started) marking their territory (lifting leg) they should be a certain weight that I am not sure of. Generally it is done 6-7 mos. :wave:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I got Bosco's surgery done right around his 6-month birthday. I would recommend you look into getting it done to Chico about this same age. They usually haven't started lifting their leg and marking yet, and if you neuter before they begin doing those things, they typically won't start afterwards.

Good luck! Neutering will definitely make your guy live a healthier life.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
ozzy was also done at exactly 6 months and he has never hiked his leg he always squats , has never humped and squats to wee

totally agree with what kemos mama said about the vet - elective :shock: I would definately find a different vet :wave:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
My vet normally likes to do it at about 6 months. Because chi's are so small he wanted to wait till 7 months. I kept dreading it and putting it off and at about 10 months he started to lift his leg and mark. I had him neutered 1 month later. He seems to be a little better but i wish I had had it done at 7 or 8 months

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I definately agree w/ neutering /spaying. Any vet should be willing to fix an animal. There are enough homeless or abused anmals. I don't think it should be considered elective surgery at all.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kemo's mamma said:
elective????????
hello where is this vets mind at? I dont mean to be disrepectful but it is certainly in the dogs best interest to get done health wise. Of course if you are breeding that is different.....he makes it sound like a nose job.
Maybe I better re-phrase all that! My vet definately agrees to the neutering and fiercely promotes it. He does free neutering for the local shelter. By elective, he simply meant something that wasn't absolutely necessary at the time or an emergency. Like a broken leg, internal injuries, etc. Neutering, although definately needing done, is something that you can chose to have done at a later date when a pups small size isn't such an issue. You can elect when to have it done, not if to have it done.

Does that make better sense? :? I seem to be putting my foot in my mouth today...or is that foot on the keyboard?!?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hi :wave:
Beetle was neutered when he was around 9 months old. After he had him neutered, the territorial behavoir were all gone. :wink:

***JJ***

1 - 11 of 11 Posts