Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new-ish mom, I want to take Friday everywhere I go. I was lucky enough that when I first got her, I was allowed to bring her to work with me for two weeks. I'm not allowed to do that anymore and she needs more room to play anyway.
So, my question is: where are you allowed to take you chi? I want to take her shopping with me and I understand there are city ordinances that will not allow you to take a pet into a place that sells food, but what about the mall? Other types of stores? I want to take her as many places as possible but I do not want to break any laws or be shoo-ed away. I was just curious because she's like my baby and I hate leaving her at home all the time. And she's not fully vaccinated, so no park trips yet.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
298 Posts
when i 1st got my tyke i wanted to take him everywhere :)
so i did .. by taking him everywhere i soon learnt where i could take him and where i couldnt.....
you just have try and see what happens...
here in the uk where i live the people seem to be relaxed about it..even if it says no dog :)
when i go shopping i always put tyke in his bag..and he ends up falling alsleep in it..lol i even get in to the cinama with him..he hides in his bag intill we get in ..:)

star x

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have taken mine to the mall If you have a carrier ususally they dont even notice if they do and dont alow pets they will tell you. i know in Florida i was permiited to take mine inot Wlamart but here in NY it was a no no but thats because I put them in the cart with a blankie. I can understand that concern of spreading bacteria etc. but as long as i have had them in a carrier be it around my body or on it I havent had any complaints. I have yet to try a restaraunt lol. i dont think they would be able to contain themselves and flock everyones tables begging for scraps. I do know many places are becoming dog friendly you can do a search on the net and get some info. I do know Home depot allows them

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'vd taken Jasmine with me to the local mall here, and had no problems. I just didn't go into the food court area. I've also taken her to my bookstore, and to Joann Fabrics. However, I tried taking her to Walmart, and even though she was in a carrier strapped to me, they wouldn't allow it. I know the grocery stores here are pretty strict about animals too, and that I can understand.

My suggestion is just to try taking her with you in a carrier, and if you don't get stopped, go for it! Like I told my daughter - "What are they gonna do, arrest me?" :lol:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
When I had a carrier for her (I sold it on ebay) I took her to Wal-Mart and Barnes&Nobel. She was pretty much great with wal-mart and I've even taken her in wal-mart without the carrier. No one said anything. Barnes&Nobel however was sort of hard because it's so quiet in there that every little noise she made they heard...my bf took her back to the car and waited with her lol. I don't do places where they serve food (even in wal-mart I didn't take her to the grocery part). I would love to try more places, but I just don't want to get kicked out of anywhere lol.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
The only place I took Molly was Cracker Barrel (it's a resturant) and I had to sneak her in because I couldn't leave her in the car in 98 degree weather! Plus, she stayed in her bag so it's not like she was spreading grems! But I really want to take her to the movies! Oh yeah, and when she was a pup we snuck her into Wal-mart ( what's up with us taking our chis to wal-mart? :lol: ) and she stayed in my moms purse in the cart but when we walked out my dad just carried her and no one said anything! :D

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I think it's cause we're all broke from spoiling our pups so we can only afford wal-mart LOL I could never take Lina to a restraunt. She would be barking cause of the people. I really need to get socialized better. If she were younger I could have probably gotten away with it lol. I want to take her to the mall with me SO BAD lol. I am going to take her to the new mall here in Peoria...so I can take her to the Build a Bear store and get her something wear for 4th of July (if it's not too hot out that is)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I take Gadget every where.. so far the only 2 places that has said anyhting to me is Costco and Walmart (since he has gotten bigger) when he was small he wnet in both Costco and Walmart.

·
Registered
150 Posts
In Miami, they dont really allow Pets ANYWHERE! I wasnt allowed to take Peanut to Wallmart, which really upset me for some reason LOL.. In Key Largo they let you take dogs inside of Kmart, which I think is just GREAT! I mean they have to be small like Chi's of course :D I wish I was able to take him to the mall but if they would tell me to leave I would get upset so I havent even bothered!

:D Yael

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
mm taking three chi's is a little hard :?

i've took them to ikea , road restaurants etc ...ikea was not happy with vienna and she was only 1 pound :shock: and in a carrier

most of the time with paris or vienna people tend to have no problem with it ...ofcourse cosmo is a bit harder ???he's bigger and so energetic

kisses nat

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mr Big comes with me to my Nail Bar! He comes to the Hairdressers, and my local coffee shop welcomes him because he sits on my lap :?

I think most places are easier to take them to in the summer as there are lots of areas opened up which makes sitting outside and enjoying the sun with them easier.

I do not take him to the shopping centres (malls), but in our local boutiques and shops, they love to see him. :)

He's a social one alright! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
i was so mad i got kicked out of target with my babies last week!!! I usually dont have any problem in costco and the grocery stores though

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I don't think there should be a problem taking them to places that don't sell food (target, wal-mart, k-mart), I can see why they wouldn't want them near the food though...not healthy. And the health department would get on them about it.

When I take Lina shopping with me and they say anything, I tell them that I have an anxiety disorder and I was ordered by the doctor to have her with me at all times. They usually don't mind too much when they hear that, cause they can't say anything about service animals.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Boy....I wish I could take Taco with me. I don't take him anywhere. He get's car sick, so I have to leave him home even though I don't want to. Besides, now that he's not used to going places, he acts up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, maybe I will try this weekend. I want to get her an outfit for the 4th too!
She needs to get out more and she is such a people person. I took her to church once and to choir practice another time. But at that time she was so tiny and no one noticed. I haven't tried since because people I knew (nonpet owners) were telling me I would be breaking the law.

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Chi Mommy said:
i was so mad i got kicked out of target with my babies last week!!! I usually dont have any problem in costco and the grocery stores though
I just bought a cute doggy carrier from Target, and asked the cashier girl (high school aged) since I bought the bag there, if that ment puppy could come shopping with me (half kidding to mess with her). She said "no", than said - "well maybe... I can call and find out." :evil4: :laughing6:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've took coco to the garden centre - ppl do look at you and when you 1st go in ur lookin about for ppl who r gna giv u into trouble since there are no dogs allowed! But i saw a guy in with his too - he said he took his to b & q with him which is a diy store - i think u can get away with taking ur chi a lot of places jst try not to make them noticable - i always let coco lie on me chest and zip her undr me jacket with her head poppin out - every1 seems to love her but mayb the UK is just more laid back!

Interesting about the cinema, will have to try that one! hee hee

Love Gilly & Coco

1 - 20 of 40 Posts