Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom is visiting next month - she's NEVER been to my house, and i'd really like to impress her with some patio gardening so I went out to the nursery and the man sold me bougainvillea which, while it is an absolutely beautiful plant, is dying at my house because I don't get much sunlight for it. Besides the fact I told the man I didn't get a lot of sun he sent me off with it anyway.

I live in an apartment that gets the afternoon sun, but only partial sun. What are some flowers I should look for that would do okay in this situation? Also, it's very hot here, it's already ~80 degrees everyday now.

I might just have a black thumb because I see some of my neighbors have beautiful flowers, but they also get a bit more sun than me so i'll blame that!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you want indoor or outdoor flowers?
I would probably prefer outdoor, just little ones to sit on my patio. That's the problem, I need a plant that likes living in a pot, and likes shade.

I think i'm going to get a little cactus for my house too

·
Registered
355 Posts
You can try some shade-loving annuals, like impatiens. Adds lots of color and even I can't kill them. They're cheap, too, so if they only survive long enough for Mom's visit, you're not going to break the bank. If you really like the perennials, I have a heuchera that does great in part sun and I haven't managed to kill that in twelve years of trying! Those come in lots of color combos, and the foliage is as pretty as the bloom, if not more so.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Fuchsias!!! They are beautiful and like dappled shade and a little morning type sun. Too much sun fries them (my problem!) easily. I think they are some of the most beautiful outdoor potted plants. They are normally sold as hanging baskets but you could put the pot on a small plant table and let the blooms cascade down.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I love fuchsias as well, they come in so many different colors or begonias would be good for the shade too.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay! Sorry it has been so long since I came back here, I wrote down your suggestions and stopped at Lowes today.

I didn't see hardly ANYTHING that liked shade first off. So after walking around and getting a little discouraged, I decided to ask for plant food instead to try and revive my current plant, a sun worshiping one, anyway after explaining to the man my situation and how hard I try to grow things etc. I told him about the man at the nursery that told me to get the bougainvillea which he laughed because he knew it needed sun haha - he told me to go pick anything I wanted and I could have it for 50% off :] I even told him I didn't buy my original plant there! How nice!

So i'm the proud owner of rosy pink "14inch double impatients" :] They love the shade!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Great choice, just make sure you deadhead them so they will continue to bloom and not go to seed.....They can make a bit of a mess but are well worth it.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts