Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work 830 to 430 but duck home to see Fiddle at lunch. But I feel mean keeping her in the ex pen all day, but this is the only way to get her to go toilet in the right spot.

Where are ur chi's during the day?

How do u manage they're business?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We have taken down the doggy pen and they are officially 'out' full time now. Although, they have kinda de-trained themselves since getting all the freedom a month ish ago... =\ I will put the baby gate up on the kitchen if I need to contain or 'punish' them for an accident. We're kinda back to square one some days!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I work nights so the Chi's are with me during the day. ;) I am switching to 2-3 days a week, 7a-1p or 7a-3p depending & every other weekend 3p-10p (hopefully soon **sigh**). When that happens they'll have full run of the house on week days (they can get to their outside potty area via doggy door) & on the weekends when I work my hubby & daughters will be around to keep 'em company. :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Mine are both housebroken so they have free run of the house during the day when I'm at work. I work 9:00 to 4:00 and leave between 12:00-12:30 and go home for lunch for an hour so I take them out then. (I live only 2 minutes from where I work) Sometimes I also take them into work with me.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I'm at home most of the time, so mine are here with free roam. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have taken down the doggy pen and they are officially 'out' full time now. Although, they have kinda de-trained themselves since getting all the freedom a month ish ago... =\ I will put the baby gate up on the kitchen if I need to contain or 'punish' them for an accident. We're kinda back to square one some days!
Do they go inside? how did u get them to stick to one spot?

I work nights so the Chi's are with me during the day. ;) I am switching to 2-3 days a week, 7a-1p or 7a-3p depending & every other weekend 3p-10p (hopefully soon **sigh**). When that happens they'll have full run of the house on week days (they can get to their outside potty area via doggy door) & on the weekends when I work my hubby & daughters will be around to keep 'em company. :)
Lucky lil pack always having mummy around!

Mine are both housebroken so they have free run of the house during the day when I'm at work. I work 9:00 to 4:00 and leave between 12:00-12:30 and go home for lunch for an hour so I take them out then. (I live only 2 minutes from where I work) Sometimes I also take them into work with me.
How did u house break them? did u crate them until lunch time? and home time?

I'm at home most of the time, so mine are here with free roam. :)
Lucky lil guys! :D

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Same here, I am home most of the time. When I do leave (never more than 3 or 4 hours) they have free roam of the house. They are puppy pad trained, which is in our "guest" bathroom.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same here, I am home most of the time. When I do leave (never more than 3 or 4 hours) they have free roam of the house. They are puppy pad trained, which is in our "guest" bathroom.
Did u crate them to get them trained???

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Someone is home with our guys most of the time. I am home most of the day, and my fiance is a police officer and works evenings and sometimes nights, so when I am gone he is usually here. When we do leave them, Reese is very well behaved- fully housebroken, doesnt get into anything, so he has free run of the house. Miley, on the other hand, DOES get into EVERYTHING if left unattended, so she needs to be crated. Again, theyre seldom alone more than an hour or two, if I were gone longer Id look into a pen or gate to give Miley more freedom. We have an ex pen too for our new puppy. He is in there when we leave with his kennel, bed, food, water, etc...he is really good about keeping it "clean", never potties in his pen. The house is another matter. At first he was doing really well and was having almost no accidents. I think he has been finding Miley's spots though, as he has started pottying inside more. So he is spending more time in the pen unless Im able to keep a close watch.
Maybe you could look into a gate for Fiddle, and give her free roam of your kitchen or larger bathroom where she couldnt get into trouble. Unfortunately you really cant get around limiting their freedom until they are housebroken.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone is home with our guys most of the time. I am home most of the day, and my fiance is a police officer and works evenings and sometimes nights, so when I am gone he is usually here. When we do leave them, Reese is very well behaved- fully housebroken, doesnt get into anything, so he has free run of the house. Miley, on the other hand, DOES get into EVERYTHING if left unattended, so she needs to be crated. Again, theyre seldom alone more than an hour or two, if I were gone longer Id look into a pen or gate to give Miley more freedom. We have an ex pen too for our new puppy. He is in there when we leave with his kennel, bed, food, water, etc...he is really good about keeping it "clean", never potties in his pen. The house is another matter. At first he was doing really well and was having almost no accidents. I think he has been finding Miley's spots though, as he has started pottying inside more. So he is spending more time in the pen unless Im able to keep a close watch.
Maybe you could look into a gate for Fiddle, and give her free roam of your kitchen or larger bathroom where she couldnt get into trouble. Unfortunately you really cant get around limiting their freedom until they are housebroken.
Fiddle goes into everything as well! lol damn lil explorer!

Fiddle originally had the kitchen/dining room which I can restrict her to. But, even tho she knew to go on the pads. she apparently forgot. my trainer said I should limit her space to a pen. that way there is less room to stuff up.

So, in the pen, she has it down pat. Pooing is a little off sometimes but its good enough.

Im afraid if i put her back in the kitchen, she will just forget again.

She is in there now as a trial. so i can tell u after lunch if she has!

p.s when she was in the pen, she was in a different room, the living room. Im guessing this makes it harder as well

·
Registered
923 Posts
Ours all have an xpen they stay in in the kitchen/dog area, with a large crate attached. Pee pads, water and toys available. No chewies though, just incase. They eat there too. Once they are "trust worthy" (remember where the potty is) they have the full run of the house while we're gone. :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango is fully potty trained, and doesn't get into stuff, so he has free run when I'm gone. Jazz is at about 90% trained, plus she tends to chew things, so she's crated when I'm gone, unless I'm going to be gone a long time, in which case I pen her in the bathroom. She's got food and water, bed, toys and a pee pad in there, which she's good about using.

When I'm home, they're both wherever I am.....usually ON me :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am at home all the time so that means Odie in on me alot..lol
I only leave him alone when I need to get groceries or have an appointment and then he is in a crate.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I am so lucky that I moved back home for school so I have my mom who is home everyday who takes care of Baby and NInja while I am at work. Prada is left at home for 8 hours a day but for the most part doesn't have accidents in the house, occasionally she gets in a habit where she pees on my b/f's bed. He doesn't want to crate her that long so he allows her full range of his apartment.

If we all go out as a family in my house Baby and Ninja are locked in my room sometimes I put Ninja in his cage but I lock them up because baby will sit in the window and bark when we aren't home or they will terrorize the cats lol Funny that they don't do it in front of us!

ETA: If Prada's at my house and everyone is leaving the house she is crated because when her and Ninja get together they cause trouble and chew up things in my room (makeup, pens, pencils etc) that they never ever do when apart lol little monkeys

Once I start looking for houses I am planning on having a doggy room and hopefully be able to install a doggy door where they can go outside when we aren't home enclosed of course in a fenced area where they can't run away or get stolen! Or maybe by some act of god my mom will wanna do doggy day care forever hahahaha

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm a firm believer in crate training, even though I know some people are very against it. For me, it's the easiest way to contain an accident if they have one and teach them to potty in the right spots. When I cannot supervise the pups they are in the kitchen, and when I leave the house they go in the crate. They are still not 100% housebroken. When they get to that point, they will probably still be contained to the kitchen when I am away, and full run of the house when I am home.

ETA I am a stay-at-home-mom so I am home most of the day! And they do sleep w/ me at night because I love their snuggles :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
When I am not home, Honey is in her pen, When I am home a can watch her like a hawk she is allowed out, I teach her to go to the toilet out side. So no pee pad at all when she isnt in her pen, I just make sure im watching her and run her outside when she needs to go. sometimes she is now letting me know she needs to go out to the toilet by going to the front door. She has a peepad in her pen but has never once used it even when I have left her for the day. And even at night time when I go to bed she never uses her peepad.she just hangs on. but I keep it in there in case of an emergency.
If I go out and she is allowed where I'm going she comes with me. Honey loves the car! If she cant come then she is on her pen.

·
Registered
483 Posts
roxi is house trained but i still leave her in the living room and makes sure all the food is out of her reach, if you drive to work you could take them to work with you and leave the window a bit down, i know someone who does that and takes her for a walk at lunch time

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Chico and Buster have a room to themselves...I have a webcam setup to watch them from work... they sleep most of the day .... I have pads on the floor...

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey, Ziva & Shellie all go to work with me. Zoey & Ziva have a large exercise pen set up in my grooming area (where I am most of the day), they have 3 large beds, potty pads, food & water in their little area. Depending on the day, they also get a little free time just running around the grooming area.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Im here most of the time but if i do have to leave them then they are usually sprawled out on the couch. If im not here to let them out then my roommate is here but i usually am not gone that long lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts