Chihuahua People Forum banner

Where did you get your chi? (select all that apply)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got to thinking tonight and was curious where everyone's chis came from. If they came from different sources, select all that will apply :) Obv. some will be off, like Laurel came from a BYB but my other 3 came from reputable breeders...I can't vote 3x for the rep. breeder, but I would say it shouldn't skew it too much! :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey came from a horrid backyard breeder (whom I thought was a reputable breeder)
Sebastian came from an excellent reputable breeder.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
AJ came from a home that was not a "breeder" I hesitate to say BYB because they were not that way, amazing loving people.
He is the only litter they ever had (2 pups) his mom is now spayed.

Bijou (yes there has been a name change I have not updated yet.. lol) came from an excellent breeder! and she does have a pretty serious breeding program.

I had great experiences both ways.
FWIW anytime I have tried to deal with a breeder who says they are "showing dogs" it's been a disaster.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Daisy came from a byb ugh
Lotus came from a v reputable breeder!

Kitty it mustbe diff over there I've spoken to a few breeders who show theirndogs on the look for lotus ad they were all pleasant and helpful

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Britney came from an upscale family in a city about 1.5 hours away, I don't think they were breeders.

Butter came from a family here in the town I live in; their chihuahuas mated and well, out popped Butter and her lil siblings.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
bianca came from a wonderful breeder who we had to drive 2 hours, for an interview. we are still in touch and her advise in the past few months has been in valuable

cosmos breeder was a good breeder but not as good as biancas, he had a fantasic set up, purpose built with a door into his utility room for access

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I got both Pip and Roo from a local rescue on October 6, 2009, so it's close to the one year anniversary of when we became a happy little family. :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Pip was a rescue (although she didnt come from a rescue center), and Maisie came from a reputable breeder

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
This was a tough one for me to answer but I voted BYB. All of my dogs are adopted so I've never supported irresponsible or BYB's. My husky we adopted from a kill shelter. Faith was bred by a reputable breeder but was bought by and ended up in the hands of a BYB. When Faith was no longer raking in the cash for her BYB owner we adopted her and gave her the life she always deserved. Glory is one of the puppies that Faith had when she lived with the BYB and hence Glory spent the first 3 years of her life with the same BYB that had Faith. We also adopted Glory when she was found to have health issues and would be a liability to the BYB we got them both from. Both girls are living the lives they were always meant to have from the very beginning. So Faith was originally bred by a reputable breeder even though both girls were adopted from a BYB in the end. I ended up voting BYB but thought it deserved some explanation since I would never support irresponsible breeding.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Chico's breeder is the President of the Chihuahua club of Maryland and shows Chihuahuas. Chico's Mom was being shown the day we picked him up... I loved the atmosphere Chico was raised in, a loving home.... a bit expensive but I've never regretted my decision to bring him home....

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Midgie came from her MAMA!!!

I don't know how to answer this, but Midgie's Mama came from a local pet store! Midgie came from her Mama (Haha).

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Reggie and Tico showed up on my doorstep, Gonzo, Xena, Lexxi, Twiggy and Smoke were rescues, Billy and Pepper were from byb. Other than Smoke's epilepsy and Tico's dry eye from neglect, they are all very healthy. Twiggy does have orthopedic issues from being run over, but that is not because of her breeding.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
What do u guys call a reputable breeder??? I think I've become fussy
I've become fussy as well.
For me its a breeder who is very educated, knows their lines very well, does health testing and spares no expense with care.
A breeder who puts the animals safety 1st is paramount to me.
If they seem desperate for money or "cheap" I'd totally run the other way.

I'm sure everyone has different feelings however.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I saw an add for Lina online. The people that were selling her were BYB's I imagine or they wouldn't have had us meet them half way.

Boss was from an awful (and stupid) BYB. She brought 5wk old puppies into the store my bf was working at the time. She said they were 8wks, he saved Boss :) and brought him home as a surprise for me :).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Terra was our first Chi, from a byb. Jasper came from a rescue organization. I really had no intentions of adopting another dog, but, well, all I can say was it was love at first sight. Then my little Auggie dog came from another byb.

Terra now lives with her "dad," and the boys live with me. Part of the divorce agreement. Fortunately we get along well enough for visitation back and forth.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Jazz and Tango are both rescues. I think Tango originally may have come from a pet store (which obviously means BYB) but I voted rescue because I'm not positive about his history.

Jazz was going to be put down because the woman who owned her didn't want to pay a pet deposit the apartment required.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts