Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a mother of 1yr old chihuahua. I have a query over what you guys do when you leave chi alone at home. When he was a pup I use to leave him in a crate so he doesn't injure himself as well as demolish the place. But this was no longer than 4-5 hrs. But now I've got a new job I may have to leave him for longer than that on some days. I am terrified of leaving him alone (just in case he develops separation anxiety) but also I am not sure where to leave him. If I do leave him outside crate would he injure himself by chewing electricity cordes or damage the whole house? Also I recently bought play pen for him and left him in there for few minutes to see how he finds it but he climbed out of it anyway..Hmm not very useful.. Anyhow any contribution from your experience will be so valuable. As he is my first dog and books don't teach some aspect of raising him.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I have 2 chis. My older one who is 12 years old doesn't do anything destructive, so when we leave he is okay just to put him in a room with his food, water, and pillow to lay on. My 2 year old chi is a bit more active and inquisitive, so in the same room we set up an exercise pen to put him in with his food, water,and sleep area. So far that works for us. The exercise pen we have is metal and small, but I've seen some that are bigger, taller, and sturdier made of a heavy plastic. So that might be something to try; maybe a sturdy made exercise pen with his toys, food and water and sleeping area in it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I leave Gizmo right where he is,on his blanket on the floor. He's still to small to get on the furniture by himself and he's not into getting into mischief..not yet anyway.
Although I havent left him for more than a hour I do come in to him sitting up on his blanket with a look of " where in hell were you and why did you leave me alone" lol..then he comes running not to see me but to see what's in the bags I just put on the floor.
Karen

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I have 2 chis. Tader who is 6 years old & Chili who will be 1 in january. Tader used to roam free around the house but then he decided that he only wanted to use his pee pads half of the time & my rugs the other half so he is crated in the dining room & Chili is crated in my spare bedroom/computer room he is always up to naughty puppy things so he is safest in his crate when I cant watch him.

·
Registered
51 Posts
well when i use to have a puppy (which i miss) she would stay in the bathroom cuz its pretty big just put food and pillow and a toy in their she was good :) but a walk-in closet would work also

·
Registered
224 Posts
My 3 dogs have free rein of the house. They can go in and out through the doggy door if they want to make or play outside. Ever since Chico was 4 months old (after he was totally housetrained) I trusted him in the house unsupervised. He never was a destructive chewer... supplied with lots of stuffies and toys to play with. Before he was housetrained, I put him in his crate for no longer than 4 hours if I left the house. One thing he always was able to do - even at 7 weeks was to hold his pee and poo a very long time from bedtime at midnite to wakeup at 7am. Jack and Prince always had free reign after they were housetrained at about 4-6 months.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
We always gate Milo in the kitchen. He has food, water, toys, bed and a pee pad in there just in case he can't hold it until we get home. Nine times out of ten he can wait to potty until we arrive home.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Zoe and Chi Chi do both. Sometimes they run free in the house...sometimes I gate them in the kitchen. It just depends! Now that we are keeping Ace(one of Zoes puppies) they will prolly be in the kitchen until he gets potty trained.

·
Registered
80 Posts
We use baby playpens, I like them because we can move them around, and we also have 2 labs when things get rowdy I know the little ones are safe in the pens.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Our 3 have free roam of the house. we have doggie doors where they ca get to the porch and potty paper or go on thru another doggie door togo outside to their pen. None of ours were really destructive, so no troble.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I leave Yoshi in my/her room. She usually just sleeps on my bed, under her pillows. She has stairs to go up and down the bed, and she has her food and water. She never goes potty in the house, she holds it until I get home.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Tamara gets the whole house to herself. She's a quiet type dog and all she does while we're at work is sleep in her bed. She can hold it all day and goes outside when we get home. Never had a single problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would personally never leave Maya crated. I like her to be able to move around, so i put up a gate on our bedroom door. She stays in there and can sleep under the covers in our bed, she has food and water and a pee pad. Imagine being crated for 8 hours while I'm at work? no thanks!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Im same as *Sidech* Mylo has free run of the house he usually just sleeps on my brothers bed while we are out bcuz his beds next to the window he can watch when im cuming home lol, he also holds tolilet until we get home, never a problem...

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
My boys have free reign as well. Bu can hold as long as we are ever gone and the puppy has pads. They usually are curled up together either in the big crate or on the lap blanket on the couch when we get home, and nothing's been bothered. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts