Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took chili to lowes the other day. We stopped at office depot and got asked to leave there:mad: they said they have food so no pets allowed. I didn't know they had food. Lowes has some food stuff but welcomes do where do u take ur chis?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Being an owner of large dogs all my life it never occurs to me to take my Chi's anywhere. I would be far too embarrassed to quite frankly, unless they were hidden completely in an incognito bag/carrier and that certainly wouldn't be at all fair on them.

LOL, just imagine if every dog owner out there regardless of size/breed etc decided they could take their dogs everywhere with them, because they love them so much, they have a need to be noticed and have people telling them their dog is precious, the dog suffers separation anxiety so must go with them (whereby by the owner's actions are helping to create said anxiety), their owners don't feel safe without them (Americans are lucky they have guns) and a plethora of other reasons they could all come up with. I think there's quite enough dog friendly places outdoors without foisting our animals' dander, hair & skin flakes on the population at large. All just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
We will take one to hardware stores and any or all of them to garden centers (many here offer water bowls and openly welcome dogs) and of course car shows and car events.

They go for a lot of "rides" for instance if husband goes to auto parts places. Girls and I stay in the car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm the same as you Karen, I take maya on a lot of "trips". Gas station, drive thrus for a coke, etc. shes definitely used to the car! On the weekends we typically make a trip to the plants section at Home depot. She's popular there now, lots of awes and oohs. She's getting a big head I think ;) i'm not very creative with where to take her, so Im interested to hear others chime in.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Poor Jaxx the only store he goes to is Petsmart but I almost always take him there with me.

I take him to parks and hiking trails but as for stores Petsmart is it.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
We've taken Odie quite a few places. She's been to the local gardening centre, furniture store (Urban Barn), the patios at a few different Starbucks locations, and of course every pet store we come across. I don't take her in a carrier, she just walks. The reason I actually visited the furniture store in the first place was because of their dog friendly sign in the window (it says "We LOVE your dogs!" and has a silhouette of a daschund).

We vacation in the same spot a lot, and the whole area is extremely laid back and totally dog friendly. Most restaurant patios even have built-in hardware to attach your dog's leash to near your table, as well as water. There is a trendy indoor/outdoor oyster bar, and an employee's dog is there everyday. It's a super busy place, and nearly every time we pass by there are 2-3 big dogs patiently waiting as their owners eat.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I'm a HUGE outdoors fan, so I take my Chi and my bigger dogs out 4 times per
day on long walks, for a total of about 7 hours. We go to the mountain, parks,
forests, fields, or simply walk around the city. On weekends we go up north,
enjoy the freedom there. The only time my Chi is in a carrier is when we take
a taxi somewhere, because it is required by them, and we do not have a car.
I'm not too big on taking my dogs to stores, I don't like going to them myself.
They do go with me to the pet related businesses, and outdoor coffee places,
that's about it. I definitely think a dog of any breed is happiest outside running
and playing instead of riding in a hot purse all day, store to store.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I am with you Krystal. I do not own a carrier so they are not zipped up in some
bag!

I do have 2 pet slings and Eden will get carried inside in that. The other two are on leads.

I also do not take them on day long shopping excursions! They just go to a store and back home.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Audrey is a service dog so she goes everywhere in public with me. Sophia goes to petsmart, starbucks (order then sit on the patio), lowes and home depot, dog parks, parks, all my relatives homes. She pretty much goes anywhere I can legally take her.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention sportsman warehouse. They welcome well behaved pets :) I have taken all my dogs there.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Mine goes to Petsmart and Petco, and they are very well received at my bank. Pepe goes with me to pick up Quisha from work and to run errands if I can stay in the car. They also go to the SPCA thrift shop. All mine walk on a leash except Twiggy. She's in a carrier in the car and carried in the store.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
So far daisy will go for car rides if the weather is cool enough if we have to make a quick run in some where. OR one of stays in the car. I have recently found some dog parks in my area so once I have a car of my own I'm going to be checking them out. My husband is HUGE about not taking dogs into stores, still trying to convience him to let me taking Daisy into like Bordines and such. Daisy isnt really into going into her doggie back she perfers to be carried or in my sons car seat.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I take Midgie to drop the girls at school, when I go to my families. I took her to Ace hardware the other day for the 1st time & was nervous waiting for them to say, "You can't have a dog in here" but they never did.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
your all so lucky :( here the only place its pets at home which is over priced and 30-40 mins away on a good day with no traffic which is barley never! :( wish i had loads of big pet shops :( x

·
Registered
172 Posts
Barney goes with me to Ace & other hardware stores, the post office, and garden centers. We take him as often as possible, sometimes with me waiting in the car while DH goes into a store. He goes to garage sales with us, and even visited a goat farm where we got some milk. I'm always holding him, or carrying him in a purse where he can poke his head out.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I think Florida is very dog friendly. I took Addy and Lacey to the mall last week. My sister carried one and I carried the other. We got stopped by every store employee in Belk asking to pet them :D Only problem was they both got heavy after awhile. Even most restaurants with outdoor seating will allow you to bring your dog. I have taken the girls to Cheesecake Factory for lunch (sat outside of course).

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Honestly I think it depends on "who" is in charge/working there--if dogs are "permitted". Some neighborhoods here have outdoor seating so you'll find dogs in restuarants even--outdoor seated of course. Most in my neighborhood welcome it. Rico is allowed at the bakery/cafe, not allowed at the butcher shop (health inspector watches too closely I guess) but they specially cut bones and have food for raw feeders. Rico loves to go in his carrier so he'd rather go theer and be quiet than be at home alone. I can pretty much take him anywhere like that. He is virtually undectectable in the bag. I do not take him to doctor's offices or places like that. I once brought him to the Emergency Dept. of the hospital on my day off. I had baked a cake for a co-worker's birthday. We were only in staff areas and my boss sent for me. The cheif of staff wanted him brought inside so he could meet the newest dog......I worked with some pretty dog-centric people :D

·
Registered
919 Posts
I take Holly into pet stores (PetSmart, Petco, Incredible Pets, Pet Food Express) as well as hardware stores such as Lowes, Home Depot, and OSH. I've even taken her to Wal-Mart as well as to my youngest son's favorite restaurant. Okay, so it is a walk up style restaurant and most people eat outdoors, but I was allowed to take her inside before when it was cold out (with permission, of course!)

Btw I've never taken her to the mall (I'm just not that brave lol) although I did see a couple of dogs there before. One of them was even a chi. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts