Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I'm moving into an apartment in a few weeks and am thinking about where to set up the girls' "toilet".

Currently they go on the grass if they're outside but if they're inside they go on pee pads. Our trainer has told us that this is bad and only grass should be used and REAL grass at that. My partner and I are lost as what to do here and was wondering if any of you have has experience growing grass in a small tray on a balcony or anything like that???

I have seen the pet loos with fake grass but i've put them on it and they just run off... i think the grass is a bit stiff and spikey for them. I'm thinking of buying a small tray and packing it with soil and laying some turf on top and seeing if that works but i'm just not sure if it will work in the tray (just soil and a piece of grass) or if it will need drainage or what...

ANY help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
We use the fake grass potty patches here and they work great for us. Thing is since they obviously don't feel like real grass; it DOES take effort and training on your part to get them to use it... you can't just expect them to see it and know what its there for. They work very well for us, but every dog had to go through a training regimen (just like one does with pee pads) to ensure they use it properly and reliably. Such as, redirecting the dog there any time it begins to have an accident... watching them diligently to make sure you catch EVERY accident as it starts... and keeping them in a crate when they can't be supervised.
Just throwing that out there; I've known a lot of people who got the grass patches for their dogs and seem bewildered why they don't use it right away, like they expect them to believe its just like grass and potty on it lol... it takes training like anything else, but once established they are really easy to keep clean and maintain. We've got 3 in the house; one int he living room, one in the dogs playroom and another in our bedroom. We also have a fully fenced yard and let them out regularly, so they really just get used if we aren't home and they need to go, or over night, etc. We just rinse them off regularly and pick up the poo with toilet paper and flush it as we see it.

·
Administrator
7,248 Posts
Hi tashy my hunni I think what u suggested is worth a try awww how's things the pups are looking great and great news about your new flat I've missed you shadow and pebbles xxxx

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much KittynKahlua i understand all these things take persistence and training and that's one reason why i want to start now be fore we move so they get familiar with the process. I do like hearing success stories and know that we can do it once we put in a little training and get them used to it!

Hi Mandy hunni!!!! i miss you all so much. I just love your little sparkles and Honey is such a good mum, all your doggies make such cute babies hehe!! I know i haven't been around much but it's so lovely that people will still always make you feel welcome here. Thanks for the advice, i think i might just try it and see how it works out :)

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
We live in a townhouse and we don't have a backyard, so we take Odie on 4-6 walks per day. We keep a pee pad close to the entrance since she seems to pee 80 times a day and sometimes we miss it. I also looked into growing grass on a patio. If you google it, there's some info on how to do it. Apparently it's pretty tricky though because of the drainage, and the pee killing the grass.

We went on a boating adventure this summer and I bought one of those fake grass potty patches. I kayaked to shore as much as possible to let her go to the bathroom, but sometimes that wasn't possible and I wanted her to have something other than a pee pad. I wasn't expecting much, and for the first week she suntanned on it. During the second week, she peed on it! I was really surprised. When we visit friends who have backyards, she is 100% trained and loves going outside. At our house where she has to have a harness and leash attached to her to go out, she'd rather do anything else and doesn't ever let us know when she has to go.

I would do whatever will work for you and your dog, and not worry too much about the trainer's advice. I personally would like Odie to be 100% trained to go outside, but she's taking her sweet time! I know that a lot of people use pee pads/potty patches and outdoors with no intention of graduating to outdoors only.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
We live in a complex of townhouses. It can certainly be challenging with pets.

We take ours for walks outdoors - we aren't the only ones here with dogs, and there is a large patch of grass that we all use. (Well, not 'we'...Our fur babies!) We both work, but one of us comes home at lunch every day. The young ones are in a large crate while we're gone, and will be until I think it's safe to leave them out in the house. Neither will use the bathroom inside the crate, even with a puppy pad.

I'm in the process of un puppy pad training our new little one and switching him over to outdoors, but the colder it gets outside, the more I question my sanity! But, he's getting it, because last night for the first time, he went to the door and whined to go outside.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I really don't understand the problem. They ARE pee pad trained, didn't you say? Just go ahead with that. When winter and the snow and ice come, you won't have to take them out. I am 73 and when I got my chi's (8 years ago) I decided I didn't want to go out in really lousy weather. They do great. Mine also go outside, so if I want them to go out, they do. Mostly they use the pee pads. Good luck. Sue

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
I really don't understand the problem. They ARE pee pad trained, didn't you say? Just go ahead with that. When winter and the snow and ice come, you won't have to take them out. I am 73 and when I got my chi's (8 years ago) I decided I didn't want to go out in really lousy weather. They do great. Mine also go outside, so if I want them to go out, they do. Mostly they use the pee pads. Good luck. Sue
i agree with you. mine are pee pad trained and will also go outside. i like it that way. the weather can get really bad here in the winter and i cant take them out in a blizzard, so they are comforatable on the pee pads. also they are spoiled babies and dont like going out in the pouring rain. So, for me it works great to have them feel comforatable to go on pee pads or outside :)

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Outside. I think pee pads are personal preference but personally i dont use them :) If its raining or snowing, they just make it really quick! Obv in the UK its not extremely bad weather, put a coat on them and out they go!

If you stick with training im sure fake grass may work, but if theyre on pee pads, then id leave it to that. Good Luck. Keep us posted :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts