Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the raw chicken that you buy already packaged from Tesco's okay to feed or do I need to got to a butchers?

Thanks

Deme x

·
Registered
881 Posts
you can feed both, tesco value chicken wings you get loads for about £2 (thats what i get) but always frees it first then defrost it before you give it to them.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Also (not sure if things are the same in UK) but in the US there is enchanced chicken and such. You want to make sure the sodium level is 80 or under.
Prepackaged meat from supermarkets is fine to feed.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In tesco's the only wings they have come in packs of about 20, I never bought any last time as I thought they'd go off before I used them all, but I am pleased I never bought them though as I wouldn't have frozen them first.

Now I know I can freeze them and defrost them as I need to.

Now do I feed boneless chicken first or is it okay to give Jake the wings with the bones in (but not the skin)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you feed wings your want to alternate with breast only meals because wings are very boney and you don't want the poop to be too firm or he may have a bit of trouble with it. How large is Jake? Also another ood chicken thing to feed is bone in breast. The bones are softer than the wing bones, some dogs don't quite understand what to do at first so softer bones help.

Also some people say don't give skin, I don't always take off the skin, unless I feel its too much. For instance last night my Great Dane pup had a whole chicken and I took about 1/2 the skin off. The minis had the wing with most of the skin still on though.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hi :) I tried to feed pepper a wing when she came home yesterday but she had no clue what to with it, so then I ribboned some boneless skinless chicken breast and she did ok with that.

Today I gve her half a chicken breast and she's been having a hard time with it, she is trying though. Her teeth are so so tiny. I'm getting a little worried about the raw thing, I feel she isn't getting enough.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Is it the bones she's having trouble with or the entire meat eating process?
She is a tiny girl, so it may just be the size of what she's trying to chomp on. She's also got itty bitty baby teeth and a jaw that probably isn't SO strong yet.
Have you tried giving her some bone in breast?
If she did fine with breast I would give her some of that to make sure that she is eating, but leave her working on (with your supervision) some bone. A wing may be too big/hard for her right now though, until she's gotten some more jaw strength and gotten a bit biger. My chis can get through wings fine. Also some dogs just don't know what to do with it because they've never had it. Cutting it open may help, leaving it sitting out (or in a bag in water) so it gets to a room temp or something, things like that can help them to see its tasty food.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Is it the bones she's having trouble with or the entire meat eating process?
She is a tiny girl, so it may just be the size of what she's trying to chomp on. She's also got itty bitty baby teeth and a jaw that probably isn't SO strong yet.
Have you tried giving her some bone in breast?
If she did fine with breast I would give her some of that to make sure that she is eating, but leave her working on (with your supervision) some bone. A wing may be too big/hard for her right now though, until she's gotten some more jaw strength and gotten a bit biger. My chis can get through wings fine. Also some dogs just don't know what to do with it because they've never had it. Cutting it open may help, leaving it sitting out (or in a bag in water) so it gets to a room temp or something, things like that can help them to see its tasty food.
Yeah I gave her the bone in breast half today and let it get room temp, she chewed on it for a while but I looked at it and it doesn't really seem like she got anything. I'm getting ready to give it to her again at 5 so I really hope she gets some this time. I did break it open and pull it apart some so she has places to hold on to.

·
Registered
829 Posts
We tried out pug on raw chicken once and at first she didn't know what to do with it but when she finally ate it she threw the lot up. I haven't given her anymore since.

One thing that worries me is, isn't there bacteria in raw chicken? and when your dog gives you a sloppy snog is there any risk of you catching something?
I know that might be a daft question but I've always wondered.

·
Registered
898 Posts
We tried out pug on raw chicken once and at first she didn't know what to do with it but when she finally ate it she threw the lot up. I haven't given her anymore since.

One thing that worries me is, isn't there bacteria in raw chicken? and when your dog gives you a sloppy snog is there any risk of you catching something?
LOL that was one of my main worries!! Everyone has assured me that dogs have something in their mouths that kills all bacteria, so I thought of it as in, they lick their butts then lick me, what could be worse than that lol!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jake is 7lb and is quite a solid little lad, I shall buy some breast tomorrow and then freeze it. I do have some chicken (bhones) so I could defrost that as well.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Phoebe - no worries on the raw chicken. Dogs have a very acidic stomach as well as an enzyme in their saliva that is antibacterial. Ever heard people say the dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans? There's some truth to that. :)

Deme - I'd do bone-in chicken breasts or even chicken thighs for Jake. Or you could try a cornish hen (just a small chicken). Chicken wings are very, very bony with not much meat. They are OK as an occasional meal, but I wouldn't feed them exclusively. They aren't meaty enough. Remember, mostly meat - a little bone.

Tinygiant - I'd give baby Pepper a little help and not expect her to chow down on her own raw right away. I'd cut up the chicken breast into tiny bites for her and make sure she eats a couple ounces. The die-hard raw people might disagree, but I think that's best. Then you could let her chew on a ribboned chicken breast, once you know her tummy is full. She is very very small - barely a pound. I would baby her at this stage to make sure she gets off to a good start. If you want, you can even do a pre-made raw. They come in little patties or nuggets and have meat, organ, and bone ground up in them. They are a very good starter food for puppies. Primal, Bravo, and Stella and Chewy's are really good brands. You could do Nature's Variety, but with their recent recall - I don't have much confidence in them. You could also add in some canned food since she's so tiny. I sure wouldn't do kibble, but I would want to make sure that teeny tiny girl gets her nutrition.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If he's 7 lbs I imagine he'll be eating somewhere around 5-8 oz since he's still a pup. And all dogs are different. My mom has a 9ish lb boy who only needs to eat as much as little 3.5lb Phoebe (around 2-3 oz) but Schroeder who is like 5.5 lbs needs to eat more then the recommended 2-3% of body weight.

Since he's eating that much if you do wing and breast I imagine you'll feed 2 times a day? You can do one wing meal of morning and then make up for the rest of it in breast meat (boneless) at his night meal. I used to feed 2x per day the little guys but with the small amount I've found its easier to do one meal, except certain occasions.

Also I think starting on wings and breast is fine (I did with Phoebe) until they get their sea legs. I like having a higher bone ratio to start because that way you get more solid poopies. Then I start lowering the bone. I agree with Tracy that is isn't a good base for all time, but I think for the first week or so its fine. Then I wouldn't do as many wings.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

The first time I tried switching Schroeder to raw he puked it up as well and then had the runs. A few months later I tried switching him and started on a per ground beef and bone mix and he handled that fine, then I tried chicken and he was fine. Sometimes their bodies are just funny like that. Also, sometimes dogs need a few tries before it sticks, and if you fed too much that could also cause vomiting. Also if it was bone in sometimes they don't chew the bone enough at first, then they hock it back up re chew and eat it. Tasty.

And yes, post raw chicken dog kisses are fine. Granted I try to give it a few minutes ;)

I have to say I love hearing them crunch those bones! It's really quite a sight. Last night I handed Halpert a whole chicken and watched him chow down (of course i had to snap some pictures haha). I may be a little crazy...

·
Registered
898 Posts
Phoebe - no worries on the raw chicken. Dogs have a very acidic stomach as well as an enzyme in their saliva that is antibacterial. Ever heard people say the dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans? There's some truth to that. :)

Deme - I'd do bone-in chicken breasts or even chicken thighs for Jake. Or you could try a cornish hen (just a small chicken). Chicken wings are very, very bony with not much meat. They are OK as an occasional meal, but I wouldn't feed them exclusively. They aren't meaty enough. Remember, mostly meat - a little bone.

Tinygiant - I'd give baby Pepper a little help and not expect her to chow down on her own raw right away. I'd cut up the chicken breast into tiny bites for her and make sure she eats a couple ounces. The die-hard raw people might disagree, but I think that's best. Then you could let her chew on a ribboned chicken breast, once you know her tummy is full. She is very very small - barely a pound. I would baby her at this stage to make sure she gets off to a good start. If you want, you can even do a pre-made raw. They come in little patties or nuggets and have meat, organ, and bone ground up in them. They are a very good starter food for puppies. Primal, Bravo, and Stella and Chewy's are really good brands. You could do Nature's Variety, but with their recent recall - I don't have much confidence in them. You could also add in some canned food since she's so tiny. I sure wouldn't do kibble, but I would want to make sure that teeny tiny girl gets her nutrition.
Thank you for the advice. I have been stressing over it. I will use some of your suggestions. I was sticking to what the people on the raw yahoo group were saying, like to let her do it herself and everything to build jaw muscle and learn to rip, but that's not going to make a difference if she died from starvation...kwim? Also I think I will buy some pre-made ground even though the group says not too, she's so little and her teeth are like nothing right now. So you think ground with some bone and organ would be good? I was kind of scared of that because some say the shards of bone hurt their insides or something.

·
Registered
881 Posts
mine get the chicken wing at night or some royal cannin and get the raw mush from pets at home for breakfast, they love it. but dont get the tripe it smells horrid.
xxx

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I have been stressing over it. I will use some of your suggestions. I was sticking to what the people on the raw yahoo group were saying, like to let her do it herself and everything to build jaw muscle and learn to rip, but that's not going to make a difference if she died from starvation...kwim? Also I think I will buy some pre-made ground even though the group says not too, she's so little and her teeth are like nothing right now. So you think ground with some bone and organ would be good? I was kind of scared of that because some say the shards of bone hurt their insides or something.

If bone shards hurt their insides how would they eat whole bones? The premade is ok, but its SO over priced IMO. If it makes you more comfortable go ahead, I just don't like it as much. I did feed them a ground mix that was made by a family butcher near me with meat and bone, but a) they learn to just gulp it and b) no good jaw chewing and teeth cleaning. Of course just to get her started that isn't your main concern.

But I think if you can get her starting to gnaw on bone a little and eating breast for now that isn't so bad. Because she's SO tiny she doesn't need much bone anyway, so getting her to eat whole things isn't so necessary.

How many times a day do you feed her? At her young age she should be getting quite a few meals throughout the day. So her portions will be miniscule anyway. So if you give her 3 or 4 breast meals, and at some point in the day just give her some bone with some meat still stuck to it she'll learn to gnaw it most likely.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, the yahoo rawbies are a pretty die hard group. :) They are a great resource, don't get me wrong. But I think the advice of letting a 1.5 pound puppy feed itself with no help on a raw chicken breast is asking too much. Just my opinion. I'd do everything possible to make this SUCCESSFUL and if that means supplementing with a ground pre-made - then I would do it. You have her lifetime to do a prey model diet. I'd want to make sure that teensy thing is eating good and thriving before I got all caught up in making sure she did it all herself. Does that make sense?

Yes, pick a pre-made that has meat, organ, and ground bone. I use Stella and Chewy's and you can't see or feel any bone fragments. It's the consistency of canned food. She would probably do just fine on boney fragments, but I just wouldn't chance it at this baby stage. If you have a grinder, you could do it yourself with a couple of bone-in chicken breasts, and a tiny bit of liver and/or kidney. Grind it up into a mush and freeze in an ice cube tray. Voila - your own pre-made raw.

Lou-Lou ... I agree - tripe smells wicked!! But it is full of enzymes and very good for them. I occasionally feed it. ;) While holding my nose. ha.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
We keep posting at the same time and I keep missing everything you say Tracy! Agh!

And yes Tripe doesn't smell like a bed of roses. But the smellier the better to dogs! They looove it.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
We keep posting at the same time and I keep missing everything you say Tracy! Agh!

And yes Tripe doesn't smell like a bed of roses. But the smellier the better to dogs! They looove it.
Quinn - I know!! ha ha! I agree, tripe is STINKY! But I know some raw feeders swear by it and it is a staple in their diets. I don't have a raw tripe supplier so I buy the occasional canned tripe. Brody likes it, but he's not a huge fan. NO surprise there, huh. ha. He did have liver and kidney for supper tonight and ate it all. YAY. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts