Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, newbie here!

I want something to carry Gizmo round in at home. Having kids she's not always as safe as she could be and if I can't hold her she's in her crate when they are playing about. I'd like something practical that I can use in the home - not an over the shoulder bag.

I don't want to wase my money so hope you experts can help me find something suitable.

Also - if you have kids how to you make sure your pup stays safe around them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)
OK.... I have 2 kids and I never worry about them hurting Honey. There is no way I would be carring her around the house! I have tought my kids respect for animals. They never pick her up. we have a saying in our home
-Puppys dont bounce- !!!
Honey has learnt to not get under the kids feet and The kids know to leave her alone!
I hope another member can help out more!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My kids are very respectful and true animal lovers. The older one is very careful but the younger one can be clumsy and her mind wanders, not from being disrespectful but from being young.

While I am new to this I want to be careful. I don't mind her being amongst them while I am there and able to give it my full attention but I'm a busy lady and while I am cleaning / tidying etc rather than crate her all alone I'd like to have her close to me, she's a baby.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
if you really feel a carrier is necessary, they do some nice ones in Pets At Home - however depending on the size of your chi they may be a little small for her to ride around in.

Honestly though, Id say before you clean take her for a nice long walk or play with her until shes tired and crate her - She gets her sleep while you clean (and if shes asleep, shes not going to mind being alone at all!)

My two follow me round while im cleaning, even with 5 kids in the house, and the dogs simply move out of their way.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
There are times when my daughters dog is here, he is 105 lbs and Quigley is 2.5, I carry him around. Also, when we have a lot of company who are not used to being around him and not used to watching out for him I carry him around as well. I am so scared someone will step on him and break his foot or leg. And my daughters dog loves Quigley and wants so bad to play with him. He would never intentionally hurt him but all he would have to do is step on him and it would hurt him. So I do understand why you might want to carry your pup. (Although I agree your children need to be taught to respect the animals)

Quigley has a bell on his collar. And when he is on the floor running around everyone knows he is on the floor. I also sometimes put him in a dog bed on the chair when I am in the kitchen cleaning depending on the situation. (He won't jump out) Usually, if I am cleaning he is right on my heals bell ringing away. For the most part he is down on the floor running around. Or on the couch or bed sleeping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks the bell is a good idea but for the record my children DO have respect.
This is all very new to all of us, a learning curve and one I don't want anyone esp the baby pup to get hurt on, which I think is good.

My 4 year old is just a baby, she's a very small child who loves animals but like all 4 year olds shes not the most coordinated. Thats not a lack of respect its her age and I don't want to be telling her off all the time, I just want everyone to be safe.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I totally understand where your coming from. When I got my girls my youngest was 2 and it's hard for a young one to understand that animals are not toys. The pups are full of energy and can get right under your feet in a spit second. I use a portable baby bed(Pac n Play) by Graco and I would roll it around the house so they could be with me. Do you have an area of the house that you can gate off? I have my kitchen that I use for that. And when alot of company come around they all have their own Pac n Plays they go into. As for carriers, ihave seen some nice back pack styles that completly are covered. But Fern hates the vacuum cleaner so I feel better putting them in their safe place while cleaning. I love my gate in the kitchen since I seem
to spend so much time in there anyway. You will also have to learn to shuffle when walking lol!!! Goodluck:) As for respect.... All of us have respect for our pets, but respect or not, accidents can still happen. I've seen it on here many times. It comes down to being very careful when handling animals of any kind. They can suddenly just leap from
your arms without warning. I would advise the kids as I did mine that the only time they could interact with the pups if if they sat on the floor and then it was ok. I still watched them though. Explain to them how they have a soft spot on their head that is deadly if injured. I'm sure you will do fine. I know if you weren't concerned you wouldn't have asked the question:)

Lori

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Here's what I do when I want to keep my little princess safe.....

Just hang her from a hook in her Vintage Bitch carrier:coolwink:

LOL...just kidding. Had to share;)

I like the pen idea. Wish I had one of those when Addy was a baby.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would get her a nice little pen and keep her in it. That way you know she's safe, has a place to potty, etc. Since your baby is so young, I would say off limits to sweet little hands on puppy for now. One little boo boo can injure her. It's hard for the little ones to leave puppies alone, they are so cute and sweet, but it’s for their safety. She'll get older, and bigger, then the kids can play with her some. But Chi's are so small, that young kids can be quite rough. As your Chi baby ages she'll learn all the ins and outs of the house. That will make it a lot easier. But you still have to be quite careful not to get on them. They can get under foot fast. My Grandson is 9, he is here quite a bit, but he isn't allowed to mess with the pups unless I'm watching. We have had to go over that rule a few times before he really got it down. He is allowed to play with them on the floor, but at 9, and being a boy, even sitting he can do some awkward stuff. :lol: Like all the sudden roll over, or some silly move. :lol: Kids will be kids. When mine were younger I kept them gated to the back part of my house. They had plenty of room, could see through the house, and I knew it was best for them. Anyway, hope some of the suggestions help out. She really needs her own little “Haven” for now.

We have one of the Vintage Bitch carriers like shown above. One of our members here makes them. Not sure if she has any made right now, but you could always PM her and ask. Her user name is, Ivy’sMom.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
When Roxy was a baby, I used a laundry basket. It's easier to move from room to room and keep her contained. I put a nice bed in there and a puppy blanket. It will only work though for a few weeks bc then they learn they can get out by themselves!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Here's what I do when I want to keep my little princess safe.....

Just hang her from a hook in her Vintage Bitch carrier:coolwink:

LOL...just kidding. Had to share;)

I like the pen idea. Wish I had one of those when Addy was a baby.
LMAO too funny! Super cute pic :) :hello1:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Thanks the bell is a good idea but for the record my children DO have respect.
This is all very new to all of us, a learning curve and one I don't want anyone esp the baby pup to get hurt on, which I think is good.

My 4 year old is just a baby, she's a very small child who loves animals but like all 4 year olds shes not the most coordinated. Thats not a lack of respect its her age and I don't want to be telling her off all the time, I just want everyone to be safe.
So sorry, I did not mean to imply your children do not respect the animals. Certainly was not my intention. I am sure you are being careful with your furbaby.

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I saw your lil one, she's adorable and so tiny! I can totally understand why you would be worried. Have you thought about tethering her to you? That is, wrapping the leash around your waist and then hooking her to it? You can keep her with you and keep tabs on her whil you clean and tidy up, and she gets leash training as well! It's actually a housetraining technique but hey, I think it could work for you.

I have two kids and while they are respectful to animals my son is just a bit of a brute, so I understand where you're coming from. Kids can trip and fall, or not pay attention to where they're walking.. they're kids! I know where you're coming from!

·
Registered
483 Posts
hi have you tried to put a bell on your dog i have done that on roxi and she is fine and you hear the bell and dont step on her. or you could have a lead on her all the time and stick it to your belt or summin so she is allways with you. but if i was you i would try a bell i have a bell and a few charms and you can hear her coming lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts