Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im confused by some of the post I have read and some of the things I have been told. But which dog food is better, and if possible why do you believe its better. ACANA or Ziwi Peak? :daisy:

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
They are both great foods. They are two different things though, ZP is air-dried
raw and Acana is a kibble. Ideally I suggest you feed ZP, but if that is out of the
question due to cost or availability than Acana is the next best thing(the grain
free varieties).

This is how I see things...

Best possible feeding option = RAW
Second best = ZP
Third = Acana & Origen

Just because I place Acana third, does not mean it's bad, it's just that
raw is best imo. But out of kibble Acana is the top choice definitely.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say raw, do you mean like boiled chicken breast and things of that nature?.. Prior to being a chi owner i was raised w/ cats. And a pug who had no teeth so im new to all of this.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts

When I say "raw", I mean prey model raw, which consists of raw meat, bones
and organs.

If you are interested take a look at the "Raw Food" section on this forum,
Brodysmom's threads are very helpful for beginners and offer lots of info.:)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Did I answer your question well enough? Don't be shy to ask anything you like.
Lots of folks are passionate about nutrition here, there is always something to
learn, for everyone. Reason I mentioned Brodysmom is because she's our
PMR(prey model raw) savant. And she put a lot of time into making very
helpful and informative threads regarding PMR. Very interesting to read. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, i just get worried about what I feed Luna because she has CDA and from what I have read and what the vet has told me, certain foods can make her loose the hair faster. They told me to avoid things that dogs are commonly allergic to such as chicken, and told me to feed her more thinkes such as turkey and things of that nature she is on the natural instinct grain free turkey. But im not sure if it is helping or not. I was also told to not change her food often cause its not good for her to do that. So im all concerned now. I want to help her and make her better not do anything that would hurt her more. So when I change foods which i will be doing at the end of this bag i just want to feel assured that when i do it that it wont cause her more distress.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
When you say raw, do you mean like boiled chicken breast and things of that nature?.. Prior to being a chi owner i was raised w/ cats. And a pug who had no teeth so im new to all of this.
I feed Ziwipeak. It is air dried raw. Personally, I like it because it is the benefits of raw with the convenience of kibble. There is no need to worry about the 80/10/10 ration or anything like that. It comes in venison and lamb- both are uncommon allergies in dogs. Toby has thrived on it and loves it.

Prey model raw means completely uncooked meat, organs, and bones. Nothing is cooked at all. Raw takes research and commitment- if you do it wrong, you can cause problems. It is 80% meat, 10% organ, and 10% bone. If that ratio is not met over time it can lead to deficiencies in the dog. I agree with LS though, if you have the commitment to learning it, start researching in the raw food subforum. There are many knowledgable people on here to help educate you.

If you decide you'd prefer kibble, Acana (grain free- the regionals line) is probably the best you could get. It is made by Champion Pet Foods in Canada (they also make Orijen). Orijen is good too but can often be too rich for our little ones. Acana regionals comes in four favors: Pacifica, Grasslands, Ranchlands, and Wild Prairie.

Please check out http://dogfoodanalysis.com for good kibble ideas. Do not go for anything less than four stars, the more stars the better.

Please let us know what you decide and ask any questions you may have.

Good luck!

PS- I do not think that any of the options being suggested here would hurt her CDA- just try to go for more novel proteins and not beef and chicken. And grain free is best because many dogs have grain allergies that can irritate skin and fur conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well w/ my scedual it would probably be best for me to stay away from the prey model raw routine. I fear that as much as it would probably be best i dont have the resources or the time to commit to doing something like. I will have to go to the next best thing which is the Acana. I believe i was looking at the grasslands and the ranchlands for luna before. I had just read a post that said most people on this forum feed their dog ziwipeaks and got thrown. Thank you all for the adivice and help.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Well the next best thing is actually the Ziwipeak. It is raw but it is air dried. It looks like kibble and you just scoop it and pour it into a bowl and serve it.

I feel the same way as you about the commitment to prey model raw, which is why I love ZP. Its the benefit without everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Gina, if you prefer to feed kibble, the Acana has fabulous recipes for sensitive
dogs, with allergies or coat issues. Acana Duck & bartlett pear is a single source
protein food which is excellent, and Acana Pacifica has done wonders for many
of my rescues. You want to strengthen your dog's immune system by providing
high quality food, limit stress and perhaps add a high quality fish oil to her diet.
I also recommend using a Cade oil shampoo. Sure there is no cure, but all of this
will hopefully slow the rate of hair loss and help your pooch lead a normal happy
life.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Gina, Ashley is right, ZP is pricey, but definitely best. Very convenient too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have her getting fish oil drops i give it her every day. She is washed only once every two weeks and lotioned daily w/ moisturizer. We keep her away from cold drafty places and never allowed in direct sun light w/ out sun screen. She is no different from all the other animals i have that have disorders all but two of my animals have some sort of issue. I seem to attract special needs animals. If it were not for my husband I would be the crazy animal lady who has all sorts of cats and dogs that no body else wants.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I agree with the others who have suggested raw, ZP, and Acana. I personally feed Acana and am slowly working into a raw meat meal for each dinner. I like having at least one meal Acana because then I don't have to worry about the balance of nutrition as opposed to if I fed pure raw. I just feed her plain meat when she gets raw for dinner because she gets enough bone and organ nutrition from her Acana. I tried to feed her ZP, but she wouldn't eat it.

I heard Acana is coming out with a freeze dried raw, like ZP. I'm hoping it will be available here in Sweden because I would love to see if Gemma likes it. Also hoping that it's not exactly like ZP so there will be a chance that Gemma will like it. :p

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'd also recommend Ziwipeak or Acana - they are both great foods. Due to allergies I can't feed either :( some other good food options if those are not available to you are Darford Zero G - I'm currently feeding this formula:
Sardines, Whitefish, Menhaden Fish Meal (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols), Whitefish Meal (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols), Peas, Buckwheat, Chickpeas, Lentils, Flax Seed, Salmon Oil (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols), Pea Starch, Brewers Yeast, Tomato Pomace, Salmon Meal (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Salmon, Mysis Shrimp, Sunflower Oil, Alfalfa, Natural Flavours, DL-Methionine, Vitamins (DL-Alpha Tocopherol (source of vitamin E), Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Thiamine Mononitrate (vitamin B1), Folic acid), Salt, Choline Chloride, Chelated Minerals (Iron Proteinate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulphate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate), Kelp, Chicory Root, Probiotics: Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Rosehips, Blueberries, Bilberries, Rosemary Extract

There's also Earthborn, Fromm, Nutrisource, Horizon Legacy :) You might have to try a few different foods before you see what your pup does best on. Each dog does different on each food.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ideally I would feed my dog only Ziwipeak but since it's fairly expensive I do half and half of Acana. Raw meat disgusts me and I'm so afraid of handling it safely so Ziwipeak is the next best thing. My dogs only been on Acana for 2-3 weeks and I just started introducing ziwipeak a few days ago but she loves both so much more than her old food. I've noticed her coat is a lot softer and her tear stains are less severe. I would say do Ziwipeak if you can afford it or mix in Acana like I do but Acana alone is still good.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm just introducing Tucker to Ziwipeak & so far he loves it!! I hope you find something that will help her, poor baby. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in & say I like the ZP.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If one feels funny about feeding Raw, which by the way
is very easy actually. Guess one just has to get use to
handling raw meat..
The next best thing would be a Homemade Diet. (homecooked food)
Which is not hard either and only a little time consuming.
One of my diets I use often. Organic, or natural when available.

Steamed Turkey/or chicken
Steamed chicken hearts
Steamed chicken liver (not alot)
Steamed sweet potatoes
Steamed Spinach
Steamed Zuchini or Squash.
Apple
Then add my enzymes/probiotics.
A Vitamin every few days.

Its easy and you can rotate/mix in or opt. diff. ingredients.
Blessings.
I would like to try Ziweepeak and been wanting to try
Instinct Freezedried for when needed.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Both are amazing food but as LS has said, Raw is best. I have seen the ingreds. on the ZP (which is, in a way, raw) and it would be something I would w/out a doubt feed. But Acana and Orijen are great too. I also reccomend NV's Instinct and/or Prairie (I think Instinct also has a raw formula) and Wellness Core Grain Free- those are two foods I am familiar with as that's what we always gave Ember for the first few months we had her.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts