Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I just found this board and I have some questions. Ive been thinking a lot lately about feeding a pre made raw but I cant decide which is the best. I was wanting to do a kibble for the morning feeding (was just getting ready to start switching her over to Orijen from Science Diet) and doing a pre made raw for her evening feeding. When I do decide on one, how much should I give her?

Im also looking for a good training treat and just regular treats. Or will one work for both? Can she have these everyday?

Can anybody recommend some books on feeding a raw diet?

Now for the last question, I've read that a lot of you weigh their food for feedings so what kind of scale do you use and where did you buy it at?

Im sure I'l have more questions soon so please be patient with me.

Thank you

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
For the best pre-made raw (and easiest and most convenient, it comes in a bag just like kibble) I recommend ZiwiPeak. It's excellent.

Next would be the pre-mades (either frozen or freeze dried) such as Stella and Chewy's or Nature's Variety. Both are easy to find. Primal and Bravo both do a premade raw that is good.

You could also consider The Honest Kitchen which is a mix that you rehydrate and add meat to. It is too veggie heavy for my taste, but some people and dogs really like it and do well on it.

If you are interested in learning about prey model raw, there's lots of information here on CP. Most books I've found do add veggies to their raw diets, which isn't necessary.

An excellent guide on prey model raw is here: You can print it out and have a book. :) (Great information, very thorough, and it's free.)

http://puppybutt.weebly.com/uploads/7/6/9/2/7692088/beginners_guide_to_prey_model_raw.pdf

For treats, I would again recommend ZiwiPeak.

I don't use a food scale so will let others that do advise you on that.

Welcome and ask away! We will all help you. :)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I use Ziwipeak and I would recommend it 100%. It is air dried raw so it is convenient like kibble. It looks like a jerky and you just scoop and pour! Comes in three flavors: venison, venison and fish, and lamb. When I started it was recommended that I start with the venison because it is less rich than the lamb and some dogs don't like the fish in the venison and fish.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I use ZiwiPeak which I would highly recommend, and a frozen raw food. I rotate between brands for the frozen raw- Stella and Chewy's, Nature's Variety, and I am going to add in Primal. I prefer S&C over NV because all of their meats are naturally raised in the US. I think Nature's Variety sources some meats from China. You want to avoid the rabbit formula if you buy Nature's Variety.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I like the Stella and Chewies food. Freeze dried. Add water, and serve. I gather some people do not add food, but I like to rehydrate it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I gotta agree on the Ziwipeak and Nature's Variety Instinct. By far the best premades. I feed my Chi Ziwipeak and I couldn't be happier with it.

As for treats, I like Kona's Chips. They are 100% chicken jerky made and sourced in the U.S. My girl loves the crunch sticks.

To weigh her meals, I use a cheapo small scale from Target. It cost me $5. It's non digital and weighs only up to one pound. I didn't need anything high tech since I only weigh about 3 ounces at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts