Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

So it's been decided.. My husband and I have decided to get 'a' puppy. At first I only wanted a small dog, and he ONLY wanted a dobe. Now- he has decided that he wants a dobe AND a chihuahua.

I'm hesitant- I'm a teacher so I am home by the latest 4 every day and we wouldn't be getting the dog(s) until late June so that I can be home to train, etc. Now the question I have is if I do allow him to get both, which should we get first, or should we get them at the same time? He wants a lady dobe and little boy chi.

I'm worried about the size thing and temperament. Puppies are puppies and want to play, will a dobe pup be too rough with a chi pup? If we get the Chihuahua first will it let another dog into its life later (well socialized of course)?

Any advice and suggestions are welcome. This is not the first dog that either of us have had (first that we would have together, separately we have both had dogs) so training isn't the problem.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am a recent former dobe owner. You might want to consider getting an adult dobe from a rescue who has a known benevolent history with small dogs. Dary was very good with little dogs, but some dobes have very high prey drive and bad things can happen.

Also, please thoroughly research the genetic and medical problems in Dobermans - make sure you are aware of things like gastric torsion/bloat, Cervical Vertebral Instability (CVI, also called Wobbler's Syndrome), cardiomyopathy, Dancing Dobermans Disease (another neuropathy) and the various skin and autoimmune disorders they are subject to. After spending many heart-wrenching years (and a new car's worth of money) on the health problems of two Dobes, only to lose the battle in the end, I don't want anyone else going in unaware. When these guys leave, they take a massive chunk of your heart with them and you don't get it back in a hurry. Peace and best of luck.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Excellent advice from widogmom!!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
You could also do what Tracy did. Get a chi who LOOKS like a dobe!! A tiny, precious dobe, but maybe you can confuse your husband!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You could also do what Tracy did. Get a chi who LOOKS like a dobe!! A tiny, precious dobe, but maybe you can confuse your husband!
Bwah ha haaaaaaaa! Good one Karen. :hello1:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Let me get this straight; you're on a CHI forum asking which kind dog to get first?? Methinks your answers will be a bit bias, LOL!!

Haha.. seriously though I'd go with the first suggestion of getting a dobe from rescue. With that kind of size difference, it'd be better to know in advance that it is okay with smaller dogs. I wouldn't get both as puppies at the same time for sure; even though they'd grow up together, I could easily see a bigger dobe pup playing too rough with a chi pup and neither really understand each others' signals well enough yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me get this straight; you're on a CHI forum asking which kind dog to get first?? Methinks your answers will be a bit bias, LOL!!
:) I know. I asked on a dobe site too so I could weigh out the pros and cons a little more. My hubby is no help since hes like a small child and doesnt fully think things through. I really think he believes we can just go to a breeder and be like "Hey can we have a Ramsey and Pablo. thanks" Although there apparently is a breeder in Texas who breeds chis and dobes which is interesting. Too bad they werent in the NY area. lol

Thanks all for your help. I really appreciate it. I want to make the best choice and since my husband is no help I came to the internet

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I second the dobie rescue thing. Their prey drive can sometimes equal a greyhound's, so that would need to be thoroughly investigated first.

If you get an adult dobie rescue, especially if you find one with a fairly laid-back temperament, I see no reason why you couldn't also get a chi pup at the same time. You're going to have your hands full whether or not you get them separately, and if it were me, I'd rather get the introductory/new phase over with in one fell swoop. They'll be new to each other, new to you, and new to your environment, and if you'll have the time while you're out of school to spend pretty much 24/7 with them, (which you'll have to do) I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Haha.. seriously though I'd go with the first suggestion of getting a dobe from rescue. With that kind of size difference, it'd be better to know in advance that it is okay with smaller dogs. I wouldn't get both as puppies at the same time for sure; even though they'd grow up together, I could easily see a bigger dobe pup playing too rough with a chi pup and neither really understand each others' signals well enough yet.
Maybe... I had a little schnoodle (Jack) and he was quite small, maybe 15lb at the most. Then I got a boxer puppy (Rocky). Jack and Rocky grew up together. I lost Jack at 12 and Rocky at 10. Rocky just laid on the floor and let Jack go at him. Rocky knew his limits with the cats and Jack and my kids. I guess it depends on the dog and how he's trained.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Maybe... I had a little schnoodle (Jack) and he was quite small, maybe 15lb at the most. Then I got a boxer puppy (Rocky). Jack and Rocky grew up together. I lost Jack at 12 and Rocky at 10. Rocky just laid on the floor and let Jack go at him. Rocky knew his limits with the cats and Jack and my kids. I guess it depends on the dog and how he's trained.
That is so sweet!! I love it when a dog really has that sense of when to be careful; it definitely shows something about dog intelligence when they know to give themselves their own limits!

I once had a huge mutt (now with my roommates parents) and I was so scared when I got my first Chinese crested rescued puppy; she was 12 weeks but this mutt instantly took over the fatherly role. He in general was VERY lazy and laid back so I at least had that to comfort me, but I never wouldve expected him to be so patient with her. He'd just lay on the ground while she climbed all over him with her toys and eventually she'd curl up on his back and fall asleep...

Gosh I miss them... =(

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Widigmom gave awesome advice. You really dont want a large breed puppy around such little, vulnerable dogs, its just too easy for them to accidentally hurt the chi when theyre just playing or running around. I know some people arent comfortable having big dogs around chis at all, but my little guys have always done fine with bigger dogs. My fiance has a yellow lab and we havent had any ptoblems, hes very gentle with them, lays flat on his belly when they play so theyre all on the same level lol. We do have to teach and remind him to be careful though, particularly at the door. He wants to go crashing outside and come bounding back in, so we have taught him to sit nicely, wait for all the chis to go, and then get the signal from us that its ok to go in/out, otherwise he runs them over without really being aware of it. A rescue dobe is a fantastic idea, go through a rescue rather than a shelter so your dobe has been living with a foster family who will know his temperament, activity level, etc. Youll want one who is calm and gentle with little animals, I wouldnt be too hung up on gender as long as theyre a good fit. Then you can get your chi puppy.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
My daughter has Axel a 110 LB rescue mix. He is sweet, kind and extremely gentle with Quigley. He would never, NEVER intentionally hurt Quigley. They play together very SUPERVISED while Quigley is on the couch and Axel puts his head on the couch to play with him. They are never on the floor together. One gentle swipe of his massive paw would take Quigley out so we are very careful when they are together.

The most dreadful thing happened about 10 months ago. He and Quigley were both on the ground sniffing outside. Across the yard from each other. Neither paying each other any mind, when something alerted Axel and he darted across the yard at full run. Quigley just happened to be in his path. Axel didn't even realize he had run over Quigley. It was the single most frightening thing that has ever happed to me where my animals are concerned.

Quigley laid limp on the ground. When I picked him up he was completely limp in my hand. I thought for several very long seconds he was dead. My heart stopped. I can not decribe how I felt with his sweet, tiny lifeless body in my hands. Then I felt his faint breath. I jumped in the car and ran to the vet the whole time trying to get him to respond knowing he was gone. Praying he was not. It seemed to take forever to get to the vet, I hit every red light on the way. Traffic was terrible. Me trying to get him to respond the whole way, talking to him, gently shaking him looking and praying for a response. I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest I was so frightened. When I got to the vets office he was still very dazed but beginning to come around a little. I guess the "run over" just stunned him thank God! Thank GOD!!! The vet gave him a good once over and praise God he was fine. God was really watching over my tiny fella. I also got a well deserved lecture about about watching them more closely.

Now, they are NEVER on the ground together. We take them out separately when Axel is visiting. And we watch them like hawks when they are in the same house together. They love each other and as I said before. Axel would never intentionally hurt Quigley. But accidents do happen. Even when they are watched very closely. Had I lost Quigley that day I would have never forgiven myself. I never want to go through that again. Quigley is so tiny but even a 7 or 8 LB chihuahua can be hurt terribly by a large dog who is not paying attention.

I love Axel to pieces. I just can't imagine having a large dog living with us 24/7 to have to stay that alert all the time to watch over them. JMHO

·
Registered
355 Posts
Miniature Pinschers are great little dogs (I almost adopted one, before Pablo) and might be an excellent choice, but they are nothing like a Doberman. In fact, the Miniature Pinscher predates the Doberman breed and is not a bred-down version of the Doberman. Pinscher is German for terrier, and the Doberman is not a true terrier breed, although it is thought to trace some of its ancestry to the now-extinct English Black-and-Tan Terrier. Info courtesy of Joanna Walker and Roger Carras - RIP.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I don't know a lot about dobermans, but when I got my "lot" about 23 years ago - we had rescued a mixed breed pup at about 5-6 weeks old. Had no idea what she would be like except that she was a "shepher mix." She ended up the size of a medium golden - about 55-60 lbs. About 2 months later, we got a chi-poodle mix - 8 weeks old! They got along fabulously! The shepherd mix (Nikki) would lie down on the floor to play with the chi mix (Woody). It was the coolest thing to watch! She was so gentle. But, as I said I don't know about dobies. But the two puppies grew up together and were great. Two years later we added a cockapoo from the rescue (6 mos old) He was a challenge!!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
We have mastiffs and chis but they live separate the mastiffs have the whole family room to themselves and the stairs are gated off chihuahuas are upstairs they interact outside supervised in the summer time and the chis stand at the top of the stairs and talk to the mastiffs downstairs lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts