Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Lily's soft tissue sarcoma

We have two options and can see the merit in both so we can't decide how to proceed.

We can either:
Option 1:
Have the vet do surgery and remove only one piece of the tumor to test and find out if it's malignant. Then go back and remove the tumor after the results come in. This guarantees two surgeries minimum but they will know exactly how much tissue to remove.

Option 2:
Remove the whole tumor and surrounding tissue and send it to the lab. The lab will be able to identify if everything was removed. With this option there is a possibility of only one surgery needed. The trade off is that more tissue will be removed initially.

So, what would you do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,441 Posts
Option 2 definitely. I would want only one anesthesia and I would want it out immediately. I wouldn't want to wait around for pathology and then to schedule another surgery. I would want that sarcoma out of there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
Personally I would do #2 as with Sarcoma's it's always a good idea to get a wide margin around the tumor to make sure it all gets out. Also no need for a 2nd surgery, surgeries are risky enough as it is, why put her through it a 2nd time? In addition to if it's malignant, opening her up and only taking a portion out could make the tumor metastasize (spread) quicker (I saw that happen with my Standard Poodle who had surgery in July for mammary cancer, and it spread by the middle of August.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I would go with option two, I would think there would be less stress on Lily to have just the one surgery, even if it does mean more rehab time for her in the long run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Option #2....what if it is cancerous...it can't be good to be disturbing it and giving the small cells a chance to migrate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have tentatively chosen option #2. Our vet said if it was his dog, he would do option 2. However, specialists recommend option #1. We can change our mind until Thursday morning. We are scheduled already for option 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,686 Posts
An other vote for option two. As a nurse, I have seen that if the tumor isn't taken out entire, there is a good chance of metastisis. I always thought it was because the capsule was puntured, allowing the cells to leave. That may be wrong, but it's what I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
I would go option 2. Better for Lily and possibly money wise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,831 Posts
Option 2, for certain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd suggest option 2, I am curious however I thought Sarcomas were cancerous?
It is.

We've decided to stick with option #2. Once we hear back from the lab, she may need some radiation or chemo treatments. Her surgery is at 8 am so wish us luck.

We took her to the groomer today to get her all the way shaved so that she'll be more comfortable during her recovery. When she's getting the surgery done, we're going to get her a new bed for the crate so she can lay straight in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,115 Posts
I believer I'd got with option 2 as well. Just curios though....Why does the specialist recommend option 1?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,271 Posts
being a Cancer survivor (twice) with the surgeries that went with the cancers.... I would vote for Option#2.... one time.... get it over with....
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top