Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if anyone could help me with my boyfriends cocker spaniel... the problem is as soon as he goes to work Izzy gets shut in the kitchen, where she'll bark and whine until she gets let out. ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!! this morning i was in desperate need of a lie in... but as soon as Izzy heard Matt leave for work she started. ive tried ignoring her and only letting her out when she stops but this has been going on for weeks!!
the other thing which is really bugging me is she follows me everywhere! even if i go get a drink she'll follow me into the kitchen. it just annoys me coz im not really a big dog person and her breath stinks coz they dont brush her teeth and its bugging me!!! so if anyone can help please do!!!!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
for one, even without brushing her teeth her breath shouldnt be bad enough that following you round or sitting neer you you can smell it...hell you shouldnt be able to smell the dogs breath unless its licking your face!
there could be dental problems and the dog should be taken to the vet for a proper teeth cleaning.

(sry pet peeve, i have NEVER brushed ANY of my dogs teeth and none of their breaths smell, none of them have any real plaque or tartat and none of them have NEVER had a profesional cleaning, bad breath is usually a sighn of dental problems)
as for following you round, whining and crying...
the dog is loney and bored, spaniels are people dogs, like chis they LOVE to be where there people are and this one definatly has some seperation anxiety.
does she make a mess when left lose in the house? why must she be locked in the kitchen when he leaves...
My parents spaniel cried inscesintly all night and all day when they first got him, when he couldnt be supervised he was locked in the kitchen and all he did was cry and scream. so i suggested not leaving him locked in the kitchen, instead letting him have free roam of the upstairs...they puppyproofed the house, closed the doors to the places that could be dangerous and bought some petstain remover incase of accident...they also put a bed in their room at the end of the bed for him to sleep on...he hasnt cried whined or screamed since and that was 3 yrs ago...
also give her some cool toys, kongs with the stuffing, buiscuits or treats are wonderfull (especially for the food motivated spanil breeds. She also needs a safe place thats hers so shes got somewhere she can settledown. a bed somewhere where you would be in veiw most of the time but she doesnt want to follow you round...

she doesnt understand WHY you dont want her near you (and to be honest neither do I, spaniels are not realy big dogs and following you round is doing no harm) especially if you have a chi doing the same thing in her mind shes like well he can follow you round why cant it...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I agree with everything said but you also might want to add a power walk in the mornings to the routine to tire out the pup so she's more willing to sleep than to wake you up. She just sounds bored to me - and possibly suffering a little seperation anxiety. They're active breeds and need to be active to stay mentally fit.

You may want to try some of the different tips at the Dumb Friend's League for suggestions on how to entertain her: http://www.ddfl.org/tips.htm#dog. I really think exercise in the mornings before he leaves for work and a kong and other cool toys will get her to calm down. If she's got a routine she's expecting and looking forward to, your problem may end.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone... i'll mention something to matt about getting her teeth looked at. i dont know why she gets shut in the kitchen... she's not messy and is very well housetrained. but i agree with what everyone said, shes bored and lonely.
if she whines at night she goes to sleep in matts parents room, as she does have a bed in there. its only the mornings its a real problem.
i dont think she'd play with a kong... shes very fussy about her toys... at the mo her fave is a cuddley toy nemo! but she wont let you play with it with her coz she goes mad if you touch it!! amusing to us but she gets very upset and barks angrily.

problem is i dont know what to do about it because shes not my dog... and i dont feel right telling matts dad how to look after his dog. one of the main problems is she doesnt get walked :shock: i know spaniels are hyper dogs and need plenty of exercise but no one has time to walk her... and when she does get taken out shes a nervous wreck coz shes not used to it. i feel so sorry for her but theres nothing i can do. i cant take her out for walks because she doesnt trust me enough when outside... this has been proved before!!

im starting to get a bad feeling about when matt and i get a house and a dog its not going to be looked after properly. my dog will :D but that doesnt mean the other one should suffer.

at least i got a lie in this morning... i told matt to let her out of the kitchen so shes now curled up in bed with me :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts