Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i got my little girl, lola 2 weeks ago tomorrow. she is about 9 weeks old. we are having constant whining problems. she whines to the point of barking/yowling when i put her in her crate before i leave in the mornings for work.

i've also been letting her sleep with me at night because of the whining in the crate...even though i don't reward her for the whining, she continued to do it. so, i've been letting her sleep with me, thinking she hasn't been pottying in the bed. wrong! :shock: i caught her early this morning peeing! we can't continue to do this. oh, and i should mention, i am not supposed to have her in my apartment, as you are only allowed 1 small animal, and i already have a kitty. i'm afraid her whining is gonna get us caught and evicted! :(

does anyone know if a ticking clock really helps, and makes the pup think there is a person there? i can't be with lola every second of the day. but that just seems so cheesy to me. clocks don't sound like a beating heart imho.

oh, and she whines when i am trying to take a shower or bath, even if she's in the same room.

i appreciate any help i can get.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i'm dealing with that very same thing! my mom wants to go out to eat with me tonight and i said, wait i can't go chiwi won't stay by herself..... i can't wait to read some replies.. i just wanted to let you know that my dear you are soooo not alone!! especially with the shower thing!

·
Registered
101 Posts
luvmypuppet said:
i'm dealing with that very same thing! my mom wants to go out to eat with me tonight and i said, wait i can't go chiwi won't stay by herself..... i can't wait to read some replies.. i just wanted to let you know that my dear you are soooo not alone!! especially with the shower thing!
well that sucks!!

I dont know what to say except i hope everything ends well.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I guess I was just lucky, none of my three really whined that much :eek: I just really loved the "small Kennels". They are not to big---or to small. It holds a small bed, toys food and water. I put a pee-pad in the bottom of it. I also put it in another room, so they could not see or hear me. Actually the clock works great! You can also buy a small ticky thing at PetsMart just for puppies. I would put a blanket over the top of the Kennel at night also. It seemed to keep them quiet and secure. You have to be firm and not give in to their cries ( I know its hard). All mine loved their Kennel, and would go in and just sleep. When ever I left the house and went anywhere I just put them in it. Being in an apartment may be a "challenge". If you guys lived closer, you could borrow the boys Kennel. It is in the closet, just sitting there. Some people use a Baby Playpen. good luck!

sandra

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i started with the baby play pen and it was fine for the first night. then i guess she got attatched to me and wouldn't stop whining. she cried for 4 hours the second night and i know i wouldn't let my daughter cry like that so i'm guilty i gave in. 4 hours of non stop crying, scratching to get out really gets to a person! i even had that clock in her bed for her and waited til she was extra sleepy to put her in to no avail...

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
day and night

i know some people will disagree with me...... but i find putting a chihuahua day and night in a crate just too much.... because they are so social.
i know they will adapt in time .....but that's just my point of view.....
when paris and cosmo are sleeping with me in the bed ,i wake up 2 times for them to go potty...and they always do,so it's really necessary!!
as with the bath/shower thing same here :wink: it's really weird a lot of chi-owners are experiencing this......
good luck and i hope everything works out

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I tend to agree with you. I only used my Kennel at night. It was big and they could see out of it. I always left the door open during the day and in a small room of the house. They loved it though, and would go in on their own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the replies. i took lola to my sister's today thinking maybe it would be better for her to live there with her 2 chi's (one being lola's sister :D) but i already miss her so much and have cried all day because of it. after 2 weeks i already love her that much.

i'm actually thinking of bringing my kitty to my mom's house to live, because i'm here all the time, and although i've had her for 5 years, she's just not as affectionate. and i come to mom's a lot and would still see her a lot.

my lease at the apartment isn't up til october, so i could just visit kitty til then. (mom literally lives 1 minute away) i love my girls so much. i can hardly bear to not have either of them with me. but little lola is such a sweetie!

also, i was wondering if a mommy bear - you know the bear with the heartbeat would help with the crying. i feel like i am being abusive putting her in the crate, but i can't be with her 24/7.

does anyone know if it is better to have a huge crate instead of a small one for them? i was bringing her to mom's while i was at work and she has one of those huge ones. mom said she actually got back in it and slept for a bit when she'd let her out the other day.

it's been a tough day.
:cry:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
First of all, WELCOME :wave: and Lola is a cutie :wink:

Second: for then to be whining while you are away or they are being crated is NORMAL and crating is extremely necesary if you want to teach your puppy good manners :) (tho if you are lucky you picked a great breeder and your puppy has great manner genes :wink: )

I know it feels wrong but she has to learn to adapt to the times YOU set not what she wants. Stick to crate training and tho seems mean it will save you LOTS AND I MEAN LOTS of headaches in the future. About the crate size: if you are really gone for lots of time then maybe during the day a big crate or a pen are good. for sleeping at night if you already have a small one that might help you better.

REMEMBER, she is a puppy and Chis tend to act like human babies :wink: so be patient and start a potty at night timetable BUT FOLLOW IT :D I know is a pain but waking up every two hours at night for a couple of weeks is WAY BETTER than waking up and stepping on poo. She's a puppy so don't expect miracles! :wink:

:wave: Good luck! :wink:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
vala444 said:
First of all, WELCOME :wave: and Lola is a cutie :wink:

Second: for then to be whining while you are away or they are being crated is NORMAL and crating is extremely necesary if you want to teach your puppy good manners :) (tho if you are lucky you picked a great breeder and your puppy has great manner genes :wink: )

I know it feels wrong but she has to learn to adapt to the times YOU set not what she wants. Stick to crate training and tho seems mean it will save you LOTS AND I MEAN LOTS of headaches in the future. About the crate size: if you are really gone for lots of time then maybe during the day a big crate or a pen are good. for sleeping at night if you already have a small one that might help you better.

REMEMBER, she is a puppy and Chis tend to act like human babies :wink: so be patient and start a potty at night timetable BUT FOLLOW IT :D I know is a pain but waking up every two hours at night for a couple of weeks is WAY BETTER than waking up and stepping on poo. She's a puppy so don't expect miracles! :wink:

:wave: Good luck! :wink:
Nicely put Vala! :wink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've used a small crate since I got Cora, and although she whines sometimes , she is pretty good about it now. Really you just have to ignore them, as hard as it may be. I've had her long enough now that I can tell her whines apart, like the " I miss you, I want attention whine" and the "ok, I really need to go potty now whine".

I started the crating differently though, I never put a pp pad in with her, I just got up with her every two hours when she woke me to take her to her pp pad. It sucked for a while, but now she wakes me up maybe once a night, I take her out to the pp pad, and then put her right back in her crate, cover it up with a old sweatshirt, and she goes right back to sleep. Covering it definetely helps. I'm guessing now that Lola has learned that if she whines you let her out, it will be a bit harder to teach her that it's not going to work anymore, but some patience and you'll get through it. Cora is only 12 wks old now (got her at just shy of 8 weeks) and she has never peed in her crate, always holds it till we let her out, so it was definetely worth all the trouble at first.

Hope this helps some!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
has anyone else had to deal with the wining and screaming for 4 hours straight? i know it's easy to day ignore it when they only keep at if for maybe an hour but try 4 hours non stop. chiwi gets so worked up she starts panting and her noises get raspy sounding. what types of crates are you all using (can someone maybe post a pic?) i'd really like her to be able to stay by herself for a few hours and not need to be there with me. next week is going to suck. i will be working a lot of hours and i can bring her with me but she will be put in a cage for most of the time. maybe that will be a good time for me to try and get this crate thing down..... something has to give.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I got lucky with Gadget... from the beginning he has not been a whiner. I have had him since he was 3 weeks old(Iknow way to young). I made him a bed right next to my side of the bed. now he has a pin there. I have his bed food/water bowls and his potty pad. I let him sleep with us. every night at about 10pm he will go over to the side of the bed and look down to his bed and that tells me he wants to go to bed.. then when he wakes up in the middle of the night or early in the morning he can get tohis potty pad. Most of the time he will sleep with me... he usually only sleeps in his bed for a couple hours then wants back in bed with me... he has only had a few accidents on the bed... most of the time it was when we were not paying attention.

I think crate training is wonderful (I was going to crate train him) but he was so small and I had to feed him every couple hours so a box worked better for me...

jbeany, you might try to get him a pin or playpin and put it next to the bed at night this might make the little one feel close to you and not whine. the other thing you might try is give her something that smells like you to sleep with.

·
Registered
47 Posts
First of all I have to say...I love this board and find myself spending way too much time on it, but there are so many helpful hints and it is just really nice to hear of other people's experiences with their puppies.

I have two puppies, one 5 months (a Chi) and 9 weeks a mix Yorkie and Westie. Even though my younger is not a Chi, it seems the puppy things are pretty similar for all puppies, not just Chis.

The first night my Yorkie mix, Daisy, cried non stop. She is such a good natured and laid back puppy...untill I put her in the crate. I spent two nights with her in a small travel crate, big enough for her but no extra room. Then I watched her nap in her baby travel playpen, and noticed that she moved around alot while sleeping and there was no room for moving in the travel crate. The next night she slept in the playpen, but I was afraid she might climb out or something during the night, so on the 4th ngiht I put her in a regular size crate. She slept through the night and has almost every night since. (it has been one week). I don't know if this could be the case with you, because Chi's are so tiny, it might not be, but I thought my experience might be helpful to someone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i want to thank you guys so much for all of your advice! i was letting my girl get away with too much...like sleeping with me...and actually i'd never given into her whining to let her out.

anyway, i called my sister and told her i couldn't stand not having her, and went to get her a little after 10pm, and she was so happy to see me! so i put her in her crate when it was time to go to bed, and put a sheet over it, and a ticking clock on top of it. she only whined for like a minute and then stopped! then about 2 hours later she woke up and whined very briefly again, but quit very quickly! yay! i did have her in the living room instead of the bedroom, so she wouldn't wake up every time i moved. it seems like this worked very well! yay!

my next question is, does everyone think it's better to leave them in a huge crate during the day so they can play around in there? just curious what some of the rest of you do. i saw that someone suggested this, and i'm willing to try anything! thank you all so much! :)

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Hi and welcome :) :wave:

Yeah it's true chi babies do get us ALL worried but believe me it'll be worth it in the end :)

With my baby , of a night I put him in bed with me , after about 10mins he is fast asleep , I then put him in his crate ( he is still very sleepy) I also stick my head in there with him and cuddle him and he then settles down and stays there till morning :)

If I can't take him to work or have to go somewhere ( I work 3 hours ) I do put him in his crate as I'm happy he is safe there when I'm not home .. He is so little i'm sure he'd get up to no good if I was not able to watch him ;)

good luck , Sara xx :wave:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi & welcome :wave:
glad to hear Lola is settling at night now.
I don't know how long you have to leave her during the day but if she's in a play pen at least you know she's safe. Give her dog toys to play with so she doesn't get bored & a nice comfy bed to snuggle in to comfort her.
Chihuahuas love company & always try to get what they want :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
luvmypuppet, how is it going with chiwi and the whining? has it gotten any better?

i bought one of those heartbeat bears for lola, and she's been doing so well. she hardly whines at all at night, and if she does, it's so quiet that i can't even tell if it's her or if it's the cat meowing. plus she stayed at my sister's last week for awhile because i was traveling and she got to play with her friends. i think it helped her being around them, since they aren't as big of babies as she is. i'm so glad. that whining can drive a person crazy.

hope all is going well for you!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
she hates being in her crate. at work she goes in a cage and hates it too for about 20 minutes then she's fine. i'm not sure what makes the cage at work different than her crate here.... i've given up trying to get her to sleep in it. i jsut stay with having her in it when i need to do things and can't hold her. i don't want her wandiering around the house when i can't supervise.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This really makes me want to crate train gypsy, but I think I may have the same problem as luvmypuppet does with chiwi, she wants to be with ME ALL THE TIME..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts