Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I go again, I researched and found out that you feed dogs garlic to help with fleas. Supposedly it's a natural remedy. I know when I had a German Shepherd as a little girl that dog ate garlic like it was going out of style and didn't have fleas so there might be something to it.

Here's a link to just one article I found:
http://www.dogsworldwide.com/articles/fg2.htm

Then I ran across this article:
http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?specie=Dogs&story_no=257#ct-4
and it said that garlic and onions are toxic to dogs.

Who do I believe? I don't feed my chi garlic because, well..... to be honest I was concerned about flatulence and he spends a lot of time just inches from my face! But now I'm lost.

I've had dogs eat chocolate, eat

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oops

Exodus the cat posted for me! Wasn't that sweet of her? :roll:

The rest of my post now X is no longer in pawing distance of my keyboard:

I've had dogs who eat chocolate. Our beagle/ golden lab mix ate it all of the time and lived to be at least 16 years old. (We got her from a pound as an adult, had her for 16 years, and have no idea how old she really was.) In the end, it was extreme arthritis that couldn't be treated too well at that time that forced us to stop her pain and not her diet that caused her demise.

I'm beginning to wonder if all of the hoopla is more like the "eat eggs" "dont' eat eggs", "carbs are good" "carbs are bad" thing they're putting humans through every few years!

On the other hand, if they say it will hurt my beloved pets, I don't do it. I just hate the panic everytime one of them gets hold of a no-no food and, considering my Spork eats the cat poop, I'm starting to get nuts about the food thing. :shock:

Sigh. Okay, got it off of my chest. Anyone care to psychoanalyze me and make me feel better? :wink:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
chocolate may not harm larger dogs like labs if they have it in small quantites but that small quanitiy would make a chihuahua drop its haemoglobin levels and die, it is a dnagerous thing to small dogs especially dark chocolate, I heard garlic is ok in very small amounts but if given too much this can be quite toxic :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Yeah no onions! Kemo has eaten garlic and if you look it is actually an ingredient in alot of dog food stuff, I even think onion powder too. Watch baby food as it has onion also. Kemo has eaten baby food (meat sticks) and has been fine. it is scary. Some nuts are bad too, and raisins etc etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i feed willy garlic powder on his food and during the summer he gets garlic oil once a week to help keep the fleas away. In oklahoma they are awful where we are at and no matter how much we treat we still have them. But that is because of neighbors who dont but that is a whole different issue..sorry..LOL

·
Registered
889 Posts
my mini schnauzer got into some easter candy and a few weeks later was diagnosed with diabetes. the vet said it was probably due to the amount of chocolate she got into. :cry:

she only lived about 4 more years after she was diagnosed. and had to receive insulin shots 2x a day. also, she lost her vision about 1 year after she was diagnosed with diabetes.

i'd keep your dogs away from chocolate. i'm sure gonna keep zoey away from it....

as for the onions and garlic, i too have heard that you should not feed it to dogs.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I was told to keep my dogs away from onions and garlic...i dont know if garlic oil is missing something that regular garlic has, but I just stay clear of any of it just in case.
I was also told that grapes/rasins are very bad for your dog. Chocolate is bad, but if you dog injests small amounts the worse that will probably happen is an upset tummy. The bakers chocolate is the stuff that will kill your dog. It has more of some chemical that is extremely harmful to dogs, where milk chocolate doesnt have much of the chemical at all. If your dog eats a Hershey's Kill or something dont freak out, but as a general rule no chocolate of any kind.
Your vet is a good person to ask about dangerous foods. The next time you see the vet I would just ask.
Jessica

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I keep anything I read is bad for my pets away from them. I gave away my huge philodendron the same day I got my chi. (Put it on a table outside with a "free!" sign. It disappeared within an hour. Fortunately, the table didn't -- I forgot to mention it was my only endtable on the sign! :lol: )

I used to get so angry at my stepdad for feeding gun powder to his hunting dogs but he wouldn't listen. I still don't know if it was bad for them, I just hated the idea of worming a dog with gunpowder. Anyway, he always said I ruined his dogs because I played with them all of the time.

Well, old story. Not important. Boring, too, I imagine. Now I'm dedicating myself to playing with animals as much as I can. X the cat is helping me type this and Spork the chi is playing with the foot toy.

Life is good. Thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts